• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Windshield pillar pads

6t8-390gt

Does anyone know when Ford "officially" discontinued the windshield pillar pads and dashboard knee pads?

My Coupe with a December 67 build date has the pillar pads, but not the knee pad. My fastback with a March 68 build date has neither. Thanks.

390cs68rcode

there was a strike around Feb-Mar (I think this is the date) of the workers over pay and the deletion of these and a few other small things were cost cutting measures to give them more money. I am sure others will chime in on some more specifics.

case12

Paul speaks to this in his books. The strike was late 67 which made parts scarce in 68 due to cost controls (link below). The timing for pads on or off was right around Feb, and the way Paul explains it, they put them on till the ran out. Similar time frame to the rear reflector lights too. I do not have pillar pads (my car is late february build), but I do have the knee pad. So, since I am not the original owner, I dont know whether mine had both, or one, or none. (I have no holes in the pillars though). Casey

http://www.geocities.com/mustangs68.geo/fo-uaw.html

68gt390

Jason is correct in that they discontinued those items as a cost cutting factor because of the new contract that came out of the strike. My 68 GT Coupe has both but, my CS has neither. I think they cut them starting sometime in Jan - Feb 68.

The below information was obtained from the 1968 GT 390 World Registery as reported in the Company Newspaper: The Ford World

The strike started at 11:59 pm on Sept 7th 1967 and officially ended Nov 11th 1967.

On Aug 29, 1967 Ford Motor Company offered a new contract to some 150,00 workers represented by the UAW. That offer was rejected.

Sept 15, 1967 most assembly plants were being maintained by a skelton crew to keep certain operations at a minimum as to not damage systems such as heating, electricity and at the Glass Plant a 7 man crew maintained the furnace where molten glass was stored. Shutting down the coke oven took a week, slowly dropping the heat until the ovens were sufficiently cooled as not to cause damage. At the Rouge plant, 300 workers a day maintained the operations compared to the normal 32,461 required.

Oct 22, 1967 a new pact was reached.
- General Wage Increase of 20 Cents
- Added 30 cents for skilled tradesmen
- 9 1/2 to 17 cent an hour in the 2nd year and 10 cents to 17 1/2 the 3rd year
- Cost of Living Allowances
- Higher Pension Benefits tied to job classifications
- Added paid holiday each in 1967, 69 and 70 with provisions
- 12 additional minutes of relief time for certain operations
- Improved Medical Plan with Prescription Drug Program, fully paid
- Hospital/Surgical Medical Coverage
- Increased survivor befefits
Contract was set to expire Sept 14, 1970

Nov 22, 1967
Strike officially ends Nov 11, 1967

Price increase for 1968 Mustangs:
The suggested retail price of the 1968 model year was increased an average of $114.00 (3.9%) more than the 67's reflecting a rise in the cost of labor and materials. Labor itself had risen 45% since 1959. The profit margins had fallen over time. In 1966, sales climbed 6% but reported net income dropped 12%.

Don ;)

P

PNewitt

Hey Don! Great information. I'll have to ask them if I can use that info in the book.

The pads, and other parts were used up until the "parts bin" was empty. Outside parts are shipped on a weekly basis to the factory for assembly. It didn't take too long for a part to run out. Somehow, we'll find an exact VIN of when these parts ran out. That would be interesting to know.

On the other hand, excess parts are used on other cars. Some of the 1971 (?) Rancheros had Cougar door panels installed, as a luxury item.

Paul N.

PFSlim

I don't believe our car came with pillar pads, however, we did install them on our restoration. I would be interested in seeing a photo of the inside where pillar pads were not used. For some reason, I just can picture what it looks like. If someone is interested in seeing pictures of pillar pads installed, I would be happy to provide.

Good informational thread!!

Paul

Mosesatm

Uh oh, this thread didn't morph into discussing body parts for fluids or UFOs. We're slipping.