• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Take a look at my Lucas Fog Light situation

1968Cally

"The most recent hardcover book should get you where you need to go. Tons of good info. It's about $80. Did you buy the red GT/CS that was for sale in the Tallahassee area? That was the only red one in Florida that I saw recently."

No. My current Avatar is the GTCS I owned from 2002-2005. I recently sold my 1955 Bel Air and decided to pursue another GTCS. I found that "mine' had been sold at auction in England back in 2015. The one I bought was from a fellow member, JoeyMiami. It is Sunlit Gold in color.

I believe he is giving me his copy of the recognition guide.

retroman99

The Marchals look reallly cool but I'll at least try to put mine back to stock.

Just ordered a set of the Marchal grille brackets from Delta Bay Mustang, they were $85 and they still have some. I'm one step closer.

I will see if I can remove what is left of those broken tube nuts and maybe salvage the lights I have.

One more question - any thoughts on the grill that is currently on there? I am planning to find an original '67 but I should figure out what I have before I tear it out.

the grill that is in there now appears to be a 67 grill it may be repo hard to tell. so from what I can see all you need is the fog light brackets. 1 point to consider is depending on when the car was made it may have come with Marchels. from what I have seen early cars can have either depending on if they took them to the dealer and had them replaced. others may have more info

Mosesatm

GT/CS grilles are modified '67 grilles. IMO your best bet is to cut the grille that's on the car instead of spending $100 for the same thing. I found that tin snips work well.

Until a certain date (can't remember when, and I'm too lazy to look it up) the cars came with Marchal lights but they were recalled and replaced with the Lucas units. After that date the cars were equipped with Lucas lights from the factory.

All California Specials and '68 HCSs have the Marchal brackets even if they were originally fitted with Lucas lights.

Some cars still have original Marchal lights because their owners didn't heed the recall.

OP
OP
68gulfstream

68gulfstream

The Marchals are tempting, but the car was built on 6/20/68 so that probably means it had Lucas from the factory.

The lights in the photos came with the car so there's a chance they are the original set it was built with.

rvrtrash

Eric,
Be very careful removing the nut. If it does not spin off somewhat easily you will rip the carriage bolt and the thin metal that holds it on the light. I am very close to producing a very close, if not concurs quality, nut to replace the them. They are either metric or British Whitworth threads so do not run a tap on them at all.

Rob

I still cast my vote for BSF (British Standard Fine) threads.

Steve

robert campbell

All,
I have a British Fine Thread tap and die now. Perfect fit to the Lucas Fog Lamp threads. I have sourced 3/4 hex stock to make exact replicas of the Lucas light nuts. I have 1/ 1/8 round stock and will make perfect copies of the stanchions. The square washers that reinforce the grill and gravel shield are fun to source, but I have a run of 80 on order to support 20 cars. Each light needs two square washers. Star washer and grommet are easy peasy.

My plan is to put together a complete kit for one GT/CS and HCS Mustang. I have enough material to make 20 sets.

This is a joint effort between me and a very close machinist friend. Eric, in your case if you ship me your bare light buckets, I will remove the nuts and chase the threads for you so they will install like butter.

Have not figured out a price yet, but it will be reasonable considering that they are obsolete now. I am not in it to make money, but to recover some of my time and material costs.

Rob

Tequila

Hi Rob,
I am definitely interested in a set. I can PM you my details when you are ready to take orders. Thanks for pulling this together.

Reggie