• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Which fiberglass parts are EXACTLY the same as the 1968 Shelby convertible?

classicsguy

Please correct me if I am wrong: the fiberglass pieces I believe are the same for the 1968 Shelby convertible and the GT/CS and HCS are;

Trunk lid
Tail light panel
Quarter extensions

The side scoops on the GT/CS are non functional and functional on the Shelby.Is this the only difference?

Please feel free to add anything you feel relevant to this post.

dalorzo_f

And no two fiberglass parts are "exactly" the same. Minor variations are always there due to the nature of the process.

I'd bet if you compared a few OEM parts there would be noticeable dimensional differences between all of them.

The fit of the two side scoops on mine is noticeably different, and the standout from the side of the car varies by about 3/32" when comparing the two sides. And the two end caps have noticeable variations as well. While I can't prove it, as a pretty well documented "one owner" car prior (father/son owned it, bought by a guy who shipped it to Oz and flipped it to me, so techniclly not) to me they appear to be OEM...

Mosesatm

Terrible fit and finish of the fiberglass is certainly one way to check for originality. If the panels fit properly the car has been restored!

CougarCJ

From the Coral Snake
Fiberglass The fiberglass used during 1968 production is one of the most noticeable changes. In the beginning some hand layed fiberglass was actually used. This is very rare. The lower front valence was one the piece that was used in regular repoduction. Changes in scoops and quarter panel end caps are most likely due to differences in the molds. I have seen at least four variations of the production hood, but the differences are minor. Most fiberglass used on 1968 Shelbys is actually a product called Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP).