• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gas gauge or sending unit calibration?

390cs68rcode

Seems my sending unit is reading incorrectly. At indicated empty it will take only 10 gallons.

Is there a way to reset the sending unit or calibrate it? Ideas or thoughts?

Ruppstang

Often the after market ones do not read correctly. This can be due to a rod that is improperly bent, a float leaking or the omens not correct. If it is a original sender I would first check if the float is leaking then check the resistance, it should range from 6.5 to 10 omens across the range. There is some adjustment to the gage but most often the problem is the sender. To check this you can use another sender out of the tank. Hook a ground wire to the frame and the sender wire to the post. Turn the ignition to on and have some one move the sender through it's range. This will show you whether you problem is in the tank or dash. You can just ground the sender wire and the gage should read full. I have found originals that did not read correctly because there was corrosion on the coils in the sender. To fix this you need to carefully open the box on the sender and scotchbrite the coil. Then check the resistance. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Marty

franklinair

If the gage goes full scale when you Ground it, it is NOT the gage- its the sending unit calibration.

Neil