• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 steering wheels - Shelby vs. Cougar vs. Mustang deluxe?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone know if the Shelby, Cougar XR-7 and deluxe interior Mustangs shared the same steering wheel? Or are they all 3 separate wheels? Obviously the horn pad emblems are different, but are the simulated wood grain (ie. plastic) steering wheels the same?

Thanks.:smile:

Attachments

• cougar wheel 012 (Medium).jpg
    cougar wheel 012 (Medium).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 24
  • cougar wheel 014 (Medium).jpg
    cougar wheel 014 (Medium).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
  • cougar wheel 008 (Medium).jpg
    cougar wheel 008 (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27

GTCSMustang

1968 Shelby and 1968 Mustangs with deluxe interior are the same. Not sure about Cougar.

Scott

C160223

Yes, they are all the same. The Ford part # for a 68 Mustang Black steering wheel with woodgrain is C8MY-3600-A1A, which is a Mercury part #.

Mosesatm

I think the same wheel is also used in the Torino and Ranchero, probably others as well.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, they are all the same. The Ford part # for a 68 Mustang Black steering wheel with woodgrain is C8MY-3600-A1A, which is a Mercury part #.
Excellent. Thanks for the help everyone. John, do you know where that part number is located? I can't find one on the wheel anywhere.

C160223

Excellent. Thanks for the help everyone. John, do you know where that part number is located? I can't find one on the wheel anywhere.

I not sure if there is a number on the steering wheel. I looked up the number in one of my Ford Master Parts Catalogs...

nfrntau

I just just pulled mine off the shelf and looked at it. The only number I see looks like a "O-632-A" (that O might be a G but it's hard to tell) which is stamped into the bottom (dash side) of the crosspiece about an inch from the metal hub insrt portions. I didn't remove the horn assembley but it didn't look like any numbers were hiding under it.