• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Spare Tire Tie-Down Info

Nathan

Hi, GT/CS Team - I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me out with a project for my '68 GT/CS. The spare tire hold-down bracket is missing from the trunk floor and I would like to replace it so I can properly secure my spare. I believe this bracket is typically welded to the trunk floor and for whatever reason mine is gone. I have found no one who sells this part, and have had no luck finding one at swap meets, junk yards, etc.
So I am thinking that the best option for me might be to have one fabricated to match the original part as closely as possible, and then have it welded in place.

So I am wondering if any of you might be so kind as to measure your spare tire hold-down bracket and post a dimensioned sketch that I can use as a guide.

This has been on my list for years now and I am determined to cross it off - hope you can help.

Thanks!
Nathan

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Someone will probably beat me to it, but I'll take a photo w/ dimensions tomorrow if not.

But it seems odd to me that you can't find one. I'm not surprised that no one reproduces it, but it seems like they'd be all over the junk yards.

OP
OP
Nathan

Nathan

Thanks!

Thank you for the help, guys. If you have a parts car I would be happy to send you some $$ for this part. The junk yards I have been to are happy to sell me anything I can unbolt, but reluctant to let me cut pieces off.

OP
OP
Nathan

Nathan

Jon, so far nobody has beat you to it. I will gladly take you up on the offer to send photos with dimensions. The search continues.

Thanks,
Nathan

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Here are the photos. Sorry the quality isn't the best. My wife has the good camera and is out of town. So I had to use my backup camera which doesn't take good macro shots at all.

Attachments

• 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 001 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 001 (Large).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 002 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 002 (Large).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 004 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 004 (Large).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 45
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 007 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 007 (Large).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 45
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 008 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 008 (Large).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 012 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 012 (Large).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 013 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 013 (Large).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 016 (Large).jpg
    1968-trunk-tire-hold-down 016 (Large).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Nathan

Nathan

Thank you so much, Jon - the pictures are great!
I owe you an ice cold beer some day.

Ruppstang

Sorry Nathan I let you down. The salvage yard put another car on top of my old parts car and I can't get in the trunk. They would move it for $ and I did not think it was worth it. I will still try to find you one Marty

di81977

Nathan,

If you can't find what you need, try Dan at Colorado Mustangs. He owns a salvage yard with a whole lot of early mustangs. Let him know what you are looking for and he will give you a price.

877 687 8864

somethingspecial

One on it's way

Nathan, send me your mailing address. I have one in hand from my parts car I will send you. Cost: A cold beer or soda if we ever meet. Mike

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Excellent! I knew someone would be able to help out. Thanks Mike!

OP
OP
Nathan

Nathan

You guys are amazing! Mike, I just PM'd you my mailing address.
Once again, the people on this site have saved the day.
Thank you all for an incredible group effort!

Nathan