• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ignition switch wiring help

cmacias24

Hi fellas,
I'm in a bit of a jam and I hope someone can help me out. I purchased a ignition switch repair harness from NPD for my car because I noticed some bad connectors when I was removing the EFI system from my car (the mechanic had tapped into the switch wires). I also suspected that some loose wires on the switch were the cause of my rear parking lights not turning on. That said, today I took apart my instrument panel, removed the switch and cut the wires at the connector level. When I was doing that, I noticed all the wires had crimp connectors, which I can only assume it had been repaired at one time, unless they were crimped at the factory. All that said, I've figured out that the repair kit I have is not the correct one, because it lacks the resistor wire. WCCC sells one that matches the wire colors on my car, but I want to confirm my assumptions. I've attached some pictures of my car's wires, a side by side shot of the old and new pigtails, a mockup of the WCCC pigtails and my car's wires. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cesar

Attachments

• car ignition switch wires.jpg
    car ignition switch wires.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 45
  • ignition wires mockup.jpg
    ignition wires mockup.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 48

Ruppstang

Cesar your harness has been repaired at one time because there should be no splices. The pictures you posted are so small my old eyes can not see them but there should be a pink resister wire. I would never recommend crimp splices. It is always better to use solder and heat shrink. The resistor wire is a pink wire with a steel core. If that is cut it is difficult to solder. If memory servers it turn in to a green with a red stripe wire. If you are using Pertonix and not points you could cut out the ballast resistor and replace it with a copper wire that is much easier to solder.
Hope this helps.
Marty

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

The wife and kids finally gave me some time to tackle this. I took your advice Marty, and went the solder route. I purchased some heat shrinking solder connectors and it worked quite well. Thanks for the help!

Cesar
3fa5d525ebce57c233010f9a12de2b11.jpg

8af9f29bfef4d5d319467624d45fbd55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk