• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake Light Question

stangfan

I had the car out for a run this morning, and when I backed it into the garage, I noticed that the left side brake light did not seem as bright as the right. After a bit of experimentation, I found the following:

- With the headlight switch on in the parking light position, both tail lights the same brightness.
- Without the parking light switch on, the left side brake light is dimmer than the right.
- With the left turn indicator on, no brake light on the left.

All of the above was without the engine running. Does this sound like a ground issue in the left tail light, or is it more likely the turn indicator switch in the steering column. Or could it be something else?

Don

I have had similar issues on several cars and it usually traces to a bad ground. Some more info. would be useful. Is the issue recent I.E. did it just show up or has it been this way for a long time? Has there been any recent work or changes on the car since the time it last worked correctly? First thing I would check is for corrosion in the tail lamp housing around the sockets.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Thanks for the reply. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how long it has been happening. The only recent work was a rear bumper swap. I messed around with the bulbs today. Shot some WD-40 into the sockets and put some dielectric grease on the contact points. One of the springs in one socket is a little stiffer than the others. That might ease with the WD in there.

robert campbell

Type in "Turn signal switch" into the forums search engine. My guess is your turn signal switch has finally died.

Do trace the grounds first, but I bet you end up with a dead turn signal switch. "LED bulbs" is your next search on the site. They draw less power and your turn signal switch will last longer.

Lots of past info on this on the site.

rob

rvrtrash

The third symptom would lead me to believe the turn signal switch is bad as well.

Steve

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Type in "Turn signal switch" into the forums search engine. My guess is your turn signal switch has finally died.

Do trace the grounds first, but I bet you end up with a dead turn signal switch. "LED bulbs" is your next search on the site. They draw less power and your turn signal switch will last longer.

Lots of past info on this on the site.

rob

Wow, there is a lot of information when you search for turn signal switch! It does sound like my problem.

About the grounds, do you have to open up the taillight panel to check them? That looks like a real big issue to get in there.

Thanks for the advice. :grin:

franklinair

To check the Grounds: Just remove the bezels & lenses. Use an Ohm meter to verify the bulb sockets have a GOOD Ground. If they don't, locate the Ground wire from the tail light harness in the trunk and make sure it is properly Grounded.

Neil

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

It appears that the problem is a ground issue in the left tail light. Figures it would show up just after I installed my new rear bumper. :icon_ecst I was hoping to not have to open up the tail light panel, but it must be. Luckily, my son-in-law is going to come over and help me with it. I guess the up-side is that I don't need a new turn signal switch after all. :grin:

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I had the car out to my son-in-law's place this afternoon. We got the tail light panel off and found that the ground wire on the back of the left tail light was loose and dirty. After cleaning up both ground wires, and tweaking one of the sockets on the left tail light, all is well. I have bright brake lights and great turn indicators. :grin:

Thanks to all for the advice.