• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lucas Fog Lights vs Driving Lights

Mosesatm

The light on the right has a driving (spot) light lens. The light on the left has the correct fog light lens.

Last edited:

68sunlitgold

Correct Marchal Lights

Here are some pics of the correct NOS Marchal 656 lights.

Doug

Attachments

• 656a.jpg
    656a.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 656b.jpg
    656b.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 656c.jpg
    656c.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 656d.jpg
    656d.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 656e.jpg
    656e.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here are the replacement bulbs for the Lucas lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The light on the right has a driving (spot) light lens. The light on the left has the correct fog light lens.

Attachments

• Lucas Lens Types.JPG
    Lucas Lens Types.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 95

BigJim

While on the subject of these lights, does anyone actually use them? We're worried about a stone being kicked up by the car in front of us so we keep the covers on the lights (Marchals) and never turn them on.

stangfan

I turn mine on every once in a while just to see how cool they look. My car isn't out in any kind of weather that I would need them. :grin:

GT/CS S Code

Not often used ...

Same here ... hardly ever use them since I don't drive the car in weather that would require them! I have two sets of the plastic Lucas covers, a "round eye" set to display with the car at shows and a "rectangular eye" set for general use when driving the car just for protection of the lenses ...

Forsche

Same here ... hardly ever use them since I don't drive the car in weather that would require them! I have two sets of the plastic Lucas covers, a "round eye" set to display with the car at shows and a "rectangular eye" set for general use when driving the car just for protection of the lenses ...

Were these lens part of original equipment? I've seen a few on eBay but was not sure they would fit. Thanks

stangfan

Were these lens part of original equipment? I've seen a few on eBay but was not sure they would fit. Thanks

The lens covers were not officially OEM, but some folks have said their cars came with them in the glove box. The round window covers are considered "period correct" for the GT/CS.

68sunlitgold

Here is a picture of the period correct Lucus lense covers.

Doug

Attachments

• light covers1.jpg
    light covers1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 87

dalorzo_f

Here are some pics of the correct NOS Marchal 656 lights.

They are close. Originals, at least as used on the Shelby's, which I am assuming are the same, did not have the 656 cast in them.

And, yes, I run with them on from time to time. Often turn them on at dusk/twilight to be visible to other cars/bikes/pedestrians before headlights are needed...

gt/csj4

I thought that the round "eye" and "square eye" are both considered correct???.... I made sure to ask Mr. Teets before spending the money on my square sight lens ones so I am really hoping they're correct haha....

68sunlitgold

The odd thing about the coral snake site is the Marchals he shows are just like 653 lenses to include the type of bulbs. Odd??

Note the only real difference from the 656 and 653 housings is 'Marchal 653' stamped on the top. Pics are of an NOS Marchal 653.

Attachments

• Kids 030.jpg
    Kids 030.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Kids 019.jpg
    Kids 019.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 653 and holder.jpg
    653 and holder.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Kids 029.jpg
    Kids 029.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

frisko77

lucas fog light

Any of you guys came across a original lucas square 8 fog lamps with the original lens marked (england) but with the plastic back black. I thought the original on 68 mustang shelby were chrome. Any help on this would be appreciated. New to this forum & proud owner of a 68 mustang shelby(clone) yes that't right. Could not afford the real ones.

68sunlitgold

frisko,
you are correct in the Lucas Square 8 for both Shelby's and GT/CS's have chrome backs, not the black plastic and had the word "England" on them not "Foreign Glass" or "Made in England".

Doug

frisko77

lucas fog light

I have found one with plastic black but with a England on the lens. Not sure which car would have those or someone change the lens on the housing,

gt/csj4

the correct style for shelby and GT/CS-HCS (lucas square 8) are to be chrome. If they are black, then they are off a euro car. Popular on 60'S Jags