• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trunk area detailing?

68MustangHCS

Recognition Guide Info

On page 49 of the GT/CS recognition guide, it shows the correct placement of the tire, jack and accessories.

Here is the info it provides:

It talks about the cardboard luggage protectors, tape, trunk mats...predominatly the plaid mat with felt underlining.

Wheelhouse seam was covered with grey or black protective strip.

Trunk painted the factory body color, quarters painted with body sealer (spray).

Rear reflectors with exposed studs with stamped anodized nuts. Late type reflectors use plastic protectors. No plastic protectors on the script pins.

Jack has a small sticker that says "See owners manual for jacking instructions".

Jack resides beneath the spare when not in use.

Spare hook used in '68 was 8 3/4" long for standard wheels and 9 3/4" for GT type styled steel (Argent or chrome) wheels. The sides of the hook part are flat. When spare is inplace the hook comes up through the center of the wheel or bolt hole) and the jack handle and wing nut are attached. Style steel wheels were mounted the same with addition of a plate washer.

Spares were always mounted "face up" with bandclamps, which must be oriented so that the bolts face rearward, so as not to scratch the luggage.

The trunk lid is painted body color.

Jacking instructions decal was usually mounted just right and above the center of the trunk lid right over the spare.

The 1968 Emissioons requirement sticker was placed on the top left of the trunk lid when opened and was on cars with air injection smog system.

Trunk lid weather strip can be replaced with standard '68 mustang trunk lid type.

Parts listed for trunk area are:
Trunk mat, Trunk extender board, cardboard protectors, rubber sleeves for metal tabs, scissors jack, jack handle, folding jack crank, plastic screw protectors (4 requried for reflectors and 8 requried for screws for taillight panel), 68' emissions sticker, 68' jacking instructions-reg or S.S. wheels, jack instruuctions decal on jack, body insulation (spray), wire clamps for filler tube, spare tire wing nut, spare tire holddown bolt (8 3/4" reg wheel and 9 3/4" S.S. wheel), spare tire mounthing (washer) plate (S.S. wheels only).

I have the part numbers if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.

68MustangHCS

I don't see anything about the sound protector between the rear seat and the trunk. I believe this is felt covered, but not sure.

rvrtrash

390cs68rcode said:
I believe in 69 the space saver came to be used again. if anyone knows this info we might as well throw it out there to talk about.

I'm pretty sure the space saver spare was used in '69-'70 Mustangs with the fold down rear seat. I know for sure it was used in '71-'73 Mustangs with the fold down rear seat and in '71 Boss 351 Mustangs with fold down or standard rear seats. Both my Boss and my '73 Mach 1 have them.
Steve