• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Winter storage advice

hatchdog

I'm starting to think about winter storage for my car:mad: and would like your suggestions/tips on how to properly store it.

I live in a snow belt 15 miles north of Spokane which also has the honor of having the lowest temps for Eastern Washington on a daily/nightly basis. (Yeah I know, why did I choose Deer Park to live:rolleyes:) My car will be stored in an uninsulated metal building with a concrete floor. The following is what I already plan to do but please advice me of other considerations.

Wash/Wax
Change oil and filter
Top off/check antifreeze
Add stabilizer to fuel tank, lines and carb
Cover car

Questions:

Due to consistent below freezing temps batteries don't winter well here. Should I pull my battery and store it in the heated basememt (this is what I do for other batteries I don't use in the winter) or leave it in the car in order to run the car (but not drive) throughout the winter?

That being said, should I start the car ocasionally or is it best to leave it un-started?

Do I need to be concerned about rodents? I haven't seen any evidence of mice or other critters in the building and I never allow any food products other than water and beer in the building. I haven't had any problems with the other equipment stored there including a travel trailer.

Thanks for your advice!

Mike

This is last winter 2016-17 and the prediction for this year is a repeat! Good think I enjoy moving snow!

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

mbsf1970

Mike,
I live a little further north and although I've had the pleasure of a heated garage for 1 year, the other 4 yrs of my ownership has seen it stored in an unheated garage. Here's what I did:

Ran the tank dry then filled it with fresh gas for winter storage (no stabilizer)
Placed a trickle charger on battery so it stayed charged
Didn't worry about fresh oil/filter since I change them in the spring
Covered car with dust cover
Placed cardboard under in case of any unsightly leaks...problem with my car--not necessarily yours!!
Started it when weather allowed (avg every 4-6 wks) and kept it going until block was warm/hot
Ran it around neighborhood if roads were dry in order to circulate fluids.
Inflated tires ---maybe a little over 30 psi to ensure no flat spots after storage....rolling around neighborhood also ensured parking them in new location on tire once back in garage.

Pretty basic stuff and car didn't seem to come out worse for wear in spring...

Stephen

Last edited:

green56

I live in Wisconsin we also have cold weather live near Lake Michigan I also store it I a wear house it stays about 50 year round All I do is clean car add stabilizer in the. gas tank after it is full on the battery I have a disconnect switch turn of battery and that is it nobody goes up by the cars except the owner of the building. And I do cover car Tom WI

robert campbell

An uninsulated metal building can be susceptible to condensation an sweating. This means drips on your car. The lists above look good, but I would always used a fuel stabilizer and even but Heet moisture absorber in your fuel. If possible you may have a fuel outlet with non-ethanol fuel. That would be the best thing. Do like Stephen does and run the car and drive it for a short stint if possible on decent days.

You may consider this.

https://www.amazon.com/CarCapsule-Indoor-Inflatable-Cover-Storage/dp/B004642U4U

This is the ultimate in keeping your car fresh without a climate controlled garage. It has a fan and dehumidifier stuff and for the price is good insurance. A car in a cold uninsulated garage will suffer from rust on unpainted surfaces. I stored one of my cars for one winter in a cold garage and the trim rings around the pedals turned brown!! And any aluminum surfaces will oxidize. Such as your alternator. Moisture hates aluminum. Especially inside your carburetor.

E-Washington is a lot drier in the winter than in the West. That may help.

Rob

BigJim

Do not take your car out in the winter if they salt your roads unless you have a good hard rain first. Otherwise you will get salt on the underside of your car and in places you will never get it out of.

Disconnect the battery if you leave it in the car even with a smart (trickle) charger or no charger.

Jack stands will help extend your tire life. If no jack stands park on wooden blocks or a vinyl garage mat.

Mice love cars, so dryer sheets or mothballs inside the car, under the hood, in the exhaust pipes and around the car.

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Thanks everybody for your advice. A few follow up questions/thoughts.

Rob,

In your opinion would I be better served if I store my car in my standard residential garage? It's your typical wood framed wood sheeted asphalt shingled attached garage and it's not insulated or heated. Unfortunately our daily driver is also parked in there which will drag snow and rain water into the garage. I can keep the water swept out as much as possible but I will never be able to remove all. However I would have had the same problem in my shop as my snow plowing/blowing equipment is stored in there and no mater how hard I try I can't remove all the snow when done.

BigJim,

Spokane County uses Magnesium Chloride on our roads as an ice melt and man is it corrosive. Last year it caused some scaling on the concrete pad in front of our garage from visitors parking there. No way am I going to drive my Mustang on that stuff.

Question, why do you recommend parking my tires on wooden blocks or vinyl? I'm fine with doing this but just wondering?

I really like that inflatable cover Rob suggested but I just invested $230.00 in a California Cover so I'll give that a try. Fortunately a local station sells non-ethanol premium which is what I run in the car anyway but I will add stabilizer too. I think I will leave the battery in the car on a trickle charger and start and run it every month.

Thanks again for your replies and please don't hesitate to say more!

BigJim

BigJim,

Spokane County uses Magnesium Chloride on our roads as an ice melt and man is it corrosive. Last year it caused some scaling on the concrete pad in front of our garage from visitors parking there. No way am I going to drive my Mustang on that stuff.
I'm not familiar with Magnesium Chloride, but a friend of mine in Title Town told me they spray beet juice on the roads up there. They claim in it's not corrosive, does not stain, washes off easily and it dissolves snow and ice.

Question, why do you recommend parking my tires on wooden blocks or vinyl? I'm fine with doing this but just wondering?
To keep the tires off the concrete. Sitting on cold concrete all winter is not good for the life of tires. The vinyl mat has the added benefit of keeping ground moisture from seeping into the car.

robert campbell

Thanks everybody for your advice. A few follow up questions/thoughts.

Rob,

In your opinion would I be better served if I store my car in my standard residential garage? It's your typical wood framed wood sheeted asphalt shingled attached garage and it's not insulated or heated. Unfortunately our daily driver is also parked in there which will drag snow and rain water into the garage. I can keep the water swept out as much as possible but I will never be able to remove all. However I would have had the same problem in my shop as my snow plowing/blowing equipment is stored in there and no mater how hard I try I can't remove all the snow when done.

BigJim,

I really like that inflatable cover Rob suggested but I just invested $230.00 in a California Cover so I'll give that a try. Fortunately a local station sells non-ethanol premium which is what I run in the car anyway but I will add stabilizer too. I think I will leave the battery in the car on a trickle charger and start and run it every month.

Thanks again for your replies and please don't hesitate to say more!

I would keep it in you garage and sweep out the water. Get a large box fan and let it circulate the air when the floor was wet. I would leave it on all night. You guys have a dry climate so the humidity is very low. Your daily driver will like the extra care and company!!

Rob

And it is closer to protect and care for her. And drive her on a nice day

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

A sad day for me:cry:, I put my car to bed for the winter. I thought I would list what steps I took for future readers of this topic. Thank you to all who offered the great advice.

I cleaned the car, filled the tank with non-ethanol premium and used Startron brand fuel stabilizer. (I use this in all my non over the road engines year round)

Changed the oil.

32 psi in the tires.

Disconnected the battery (fortunately Neil put a battery disconnect on it, thanks Neil) and put it on a trickle charger.

Parked the car on four plastic flooring pieces to keep the tires off the concrete.

Covered it with a California Car Cover Dustop cover.

Installed a ceiling fan in my garage to keep the moisture out.

The good news is the local town I live nearby had it's annual Halloween event yesterday 10/28 which included a car show at a local body shop. We have had a great run of warm sunny weather and yesterday it was in the 60's and sunny. There were about 100 cars entered, nice turnout for late October in eastern Washington State. I enjoyed the show and then took my car for one last drive up the highway and got all the fluids up to temp for the last time. Topped off the fuel tank on my way home, grinning all the way

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

robert campbell

Love the cat scratch battery tender support!! Time to insulate and sheetrock those other walls! Ceiling fan is a great idea! You have done good!!

I don't take mine off the road in the winter!! Keep it on a trickle charger and exercise that pony every time I can!!

Rob

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Love the cat scratch battery tender support!! Time to insulate and sheetrock those other walls! Ceiling fan is a great idea! You have done good!!

I don't take mine off the road in the winter!! Keep it on a trickle charger and exercise that pony every time I can!!

Rob

Yea, a little cat scratch fever going on..... damn cat won't use it so I will.:wink:

Yes, should have had the garage insulated and sheetrocked when we built the house. Builder asked but you know how it is, already overspending the budget. But, it won't be too hard to complete as the ceiling is already rocked and both doors are insulated. I'm thinking completing the Sheetrock and painting the floor is on tap for one of these days.

I envy you westsiders, too much magnesium chloride, aka metal and concrete eater, on the roads here in the winter. Snow is in the forecast for this weekend but hopefully it won't stick around. The weather lady just told me tonight's low is 20*. I have been running the wood stove for the last week.

mbsf1970

You're car looks plenty tucked in. We're getting our first snow in a couple of days. Luckily my car has been winterized since late August....:grin:
Stephen

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

You're car looks plenty tucked in. We're getting our first snow in a couple of days. Luckily my car has been winterized since late August....:grin:
Stephen

:grin:
Steven,
Seems like I recall your car is vacationing in North Carolina......
:grin:
Mike

franklinair

Fall & winter in NC...
My work hangar heats up to 70 degrees even if its 20 outside.:smile:

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Doug5.JPG
    Doug5.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 30

Mosesatm

Neil,
I'll be happy so send you some hammers so you can stop using pistons for that purpose!!

mbsf1970

Neil,
I'll be happy so send you some hammers so you can stop using pistons for that purpose!!

Appreciate it Arlie! That pic made me a little nervous at the beginning however the first pic in that grouping restored my faith in Neil's workmanship by showing me how much he really gets into his work!!
Stephen