• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS 289/auto, air, loaded one of first 200

ironhorse

*SOLD*Congrats to the new owners, this early car is returning "home" to Arizona!! Wheels and tires still available so I've kept that info in my ad:

I'm (regretfully) selling my 1968 Mustang California Special, one of the first 200 built on the first regular day of production (Feb. 15, documented in the Newitt book). Only three owners in 50 years: bought new at Culver City Ford (Los Angeles), traded back to the same dealer about three years later; the second owner moved to Campe Verde, Arizona, and it stayed in the desert until I picked it up (and drove it home to Alberta, Canada) in 2000. (The second owner BTW was a pilot and she was meticulous with keeping every piece of documentation/receipts over the decades, a thick file which will go on to the new caretaker.)

Pretty loaded early car, possibly to promote the new models: C-Code (289-2v), auto, air, Lime Gold (Code I) with black interior, console, RARE convenience group (idiot lights in console). Have Marti report and Ford 999. Car even has the rear tie down hooks that should have been removed by the dealer back in '68, don't recall seeing these on any other Mustangs.

Car is very typical of what you'd find for used Mustangs back in the late 1970s/80s: a survivor with cheap dip white paint job. A 20-footer. I've enjoyed this car sparingly in summers only this past 19 years and it's never failed to give me a big smile and get lots of thumbs up ... but I've come to the realization I don't have the skills, resources or time to give it what it deserves, a full restoration. As a desert car the body is excellent and INCREDIBLY straight. The only rust is at the leading ends of both doors, in typical 1968 fashion. Floors, quarters and fenders appear rust free (original red oxide paint showing underneath). Original green (shiny!) is showing through where the white paint has lifted, especially around the trunk. This car came with Marshal fog lights that were replaced early on with Lucas fogs (but no pedestals). One lamp has cracked. I have replacement side scoops as the second owner took them off for her Maaco paint job back in 1980 or so. Hood pins are original as is most of the car. I put NOS taillights on it. Also wears original California black plates.

Interior is tired and will need complete refreshing (except for the back seat, which is original and rarely sat in). Just spent $500 on a fresh battery, solenoid and starter to fire it up after slumbering for the past couple of years. Car idles a little rough, carb was replaced about four years ago but could use some tuning. Actual mileage is unknown but believe >200K. Original 289 was replaced in 1980, C-4 transmission was rebuilt when I purchased it in 2000. Outside of the trip back from Arizona, I've put maybe 1,500 miles on the car over my entire time of ownership.

Car has the argent s/s wheels but, as my hope was to give this car a Shelby look when restored, I purchased a set of five E70-15 Goodyear Speedway 350 Large Letter Tires -- four barely used (maybe 100 miles since new, came off a trailer queen '68 GT500 that the owner decided to change) and one brand new still in its factory plastic. Repos. I also have a set of four 10-spoke Shelby wheels (used). Tires are not mounted. Selling wheels and tires separately but can include with the car for the right price (I'll let go of the tires for $1500 US and the 10-spokes for $750, or together for $2K.)

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5392.jpg
    IMG_5392.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg