• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby Dress Up Kit

PFSlim

Does anyone have a pic of the 1968 Shelby dress up kit on their gallery site?

Would the Shelby dress up kit include a round or oval shaped air cleaner?

Paul

68MustangHCS

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1569;start=0#msg9456 date=1113317804]
Here's a link to a site showing a '68 GT350. It shows oval.

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/6020col.html
[/quote]

I like the car, its a super nice one. A Shelby!!! The only think that I don't like about some of these cars, is they are museum pieces and probably will never be driven again like they were meant. I don't like all the aftermarket touchups to make it look like the factory. Those chalk marks, someone added that to make it look like its factory fresh. I think those kind of details are for the over doers. If your going to own a car, use it, don't worship it, then just look at it. That car is probably in better condition than it came from the factory, with all the attention that has been brought to it. My car is a part of my life, and I enjoy using it and working on it, I like looking at it too! ha ha.
;)

Mosesatm

That extends over to the bodywork, too. Check out the panel alignments and gaps on a museum peice restoration. They certainly are not as they came from the factory!!! No one would accept such shoddy work. So if the gaps are all uniform and tight the car really isn't a "perfect" restoration. Hmmmm....I wonder what the judges think of that. Has anyone ever been docked for having body work that was too perfect? Well, other than Pamela Anderson of course.

Mosesatm

Sorry, but I had another thought. Hey, that makes 2 for today. That might be a record! Anyway, would the dealer have wiped off the obvious chalk marks before the car either went on the lot or was given to the customer? If so then what is the point of restoring cars with the marks. Is it supposed to look like it was picked up straight from the factory and never driven.

Jason, you out there? What are your thoughts on this issue?

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1569;start=0#msg9466 date=1113341477]
Sorry, but I had another thought. Hey, that makes 2 for today. That might be a record! Anyway, would the dealer have wiped off the obvious chalk marks before the car either went on the lot or was given to the customer? If so then what is the point of restoring cars with the marks. Is it supposed to look like it was picked up straight from the factory and never driven.

Jason, you out there? What are your thoughts on this issue?
[/quote]

Personally I can see the part of restoring a car to the way it came off the assembly line. I like this way of restoration BUT I can say if I did this to a car I would still drive it. For some a car is restored this way to sit and be admired and not driven, for some like me I would restore it in a similar way but would also drive the car. Would the dealer wipe the marks off before delivery? I doubt it.

nfrntau

My Father was a Ford Dealer for many many years. He was very meticulus and expected his get ready guys to do a great job. He wanted return customers.
My guess is they would have removed the chalk marks. As they are washing the cars and running them through the get ready phase these chalk marks would get wet, start to run and the guys would clean up the mess, they would wipe down the engine compartment with wet rags used in drying the cars, etc. Chalk cleans up quick and back then nobody was interested in keeping the marks.

hookedtrout

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1569;start=0#msg9475 date=1113350102]
My Father was a Ford Dealer for many many years. He was very meticulus and expected his get ready guys to do a great job. He wanted return customers.
My guess is they would have removed the chalk marks. As they are washing the cars and running them through the get ready phase these chalk marks would get wet, start to run and the guys would clean up the mess, they would wipe down the engine compartment with wet rags used in drying the cars, etc. Chalk cleans up quick and back then nobody was interested in keeping the marks.
[/quote]

I guess your restoration would all depend on whether you were going for the fresh off the "Showroom Floor" or fresh off the "Assembly Line" look.

Me...I'm going for the this car is way cool tearing up the street look. ;D

Hook

Russ

First of all, you CAN restore a car exactly the way it left the factory and still drive it. I do.... in fact, I took my GT/CS on a 100 mile jaunt around Lake Mary and Mormon Lake last weekend. I think the way one restores a car is personal, and shouldn't "knocked" for taking the time to get it right!

By the way, inspector marks were done with a paint stick, and once applied, they are very difficult to remove. While a meticulous dealer could remove inspector markings, it seems unreasonable to do this. Dealers want to sell cars, not detail undercarriages and engine compartments. Because these paint marks are so durable and have remained for 35+ years is the reason concourse restorations can be accomplished.

Russ

68MustangHCS

I've never seen these chalk marks, wax marks, crayola marks.. on normal cars. I've been looking at mustangs for years, and it seems the only ones that have them are the concours restoration. My Dad always had a new ford or two, but none of them seemed to have any factory marks. I know because he made me clean it every weekend and change the oil on them. My preference is without marks, I just think the marks are overdoing it, and so I wouldn't put those marks on or make them up to impress anyone. You guys are right, it's just a personal preference. I'm for driving the crap out of the car, not watching it as I grow old, then die....then someone else gets my prize...lol ;D

hookedtrout

If you look closely I would venture to believe that you will find your car has the paint marks as well unless it has been completely repainted underneath and in the engine compartment. My car has never been restored short of paint on the outside and interior and albeit they are faded and covered in oil and dirt and road grime I can still see the little painted marks on my car in places.

I'll also say I have the utmost respect for someone with the patience to do a concourse restoration and then the patience to live with it. They are amazing to behold. We have a concourse restoration shop here where I live and I've seen their work, it is unreal. It certainly isn't for me due to three aspects all my own issues. The cost being the first deterrent, the fun being the second and I'll explain fun, fun to me is being able to drive it anywhere anytime and not have the worry of a scratch, rock chip, dirt, grime, someone touching it, etc. The worry takes the fun out for me even though you have it on the small scale a full blown concourse would certainly enhance it for me. The third deterrent would be the show aspect, the car isn't about any kind of competition to me, I love sports and I am highly competitive but being competitive with my car would put me in a complete different world with my car than I want to be and if I were to undergo a concourse resto it would almost be a given that I'd have to show the car competitively to justify my undertaking (these are my issues, not implying that this is how others are as well).

Again let me emphasize that I love to see concourse restorations and I have the utmost respect for those that can do it and live with it. I simply couldn't afford it financially, don't have the time to do it myself (way to many hobbies) and I live on a gravel road so it would be hard to do it and enjoy it.

Can't wait to see all you concourse guys at the get together (someday). ;D

Hook

Mosesatm

I totally agree with Hook in that anyone with the patience to perform a concourse restoration, right down to every little mark and tag, should be commended.

The thing is that the chalk marks in the pictures of the red GT350 are HUGE and I just find it hard to believe that a car would have been sold off a dealer’s lot with such marks all over it. We don’t see big “Xs” all over new cars now so have car marking practices changed or do the dealers currently wipe off the marks before they sell the cars? Maybe the marks really were there in ’68 and the marks on the Shelby are just a little over done.

Any ideas?

hookedtrout

I think even the new cars have similar markings, the only problem is that you can't see the engine anymore. :eek: For the kicks and giggles of it if I remember today I'll check my new truck or Expedition and see if there are any under that hood that can be found.

Hook

390cs68rcode

did someone say original marks? Here are a few from a car I just bought Saturday. Original paint is still on the car.

marks.jpg

marks1.jpg

marks2.jpg

marks3.jpg

Russ

Here is a photo of the engine compartment of my 1968 GT. I installed original Shelby valve covers and a reproduction air cleaner when I restored the car. The valve covers are somewhat hard to find, but I like the way they look. These valve covers were available in 1967 from Shelby-American Inc. for $47.85 and installed for $3.50 more (!!!). Labor prices have sure gone up since 1967!!! Note: This car has the early style A/C compressor bracket. This topic is discussed on another posting.

Regarding the concourse discussion, I think that some of our cars are "motorized static art displays" of automotive history when they are displayed at a car show. Since most concourse cars are not driven much, the car becomes a piece of artwork rather than a unit of transportation, and this dosen't appeal to all people. I also think some of the members of this site look upon their cars as useful modes of transportation. They feel cars should be driven, used, maintained and cared for.

Fortunately, I think there is room for everyone at the driver and concourse "table". I have a healthy respect for concourse, resto-mod, driver and unrestored GT/CS cars AND their owners. It would truly be a boring world if everyone had the same ideas and liked and dislked the same things!!

Just my thoughts,
Russ

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16

Mosesatm

[glow=red,2,300]did someone say original marks? Here are a few from a car I just bought Saturday. Original paint is still on the car.[/glow]
So....don't keep us hanging. Let's hear about the car. Is this the 390 4-speed car you were talking about Saturday?

Where on the car are the various numbers?

Russ

Great original paint marks!!! It is interesting to see the colors used on the paint inspector markings. Green for the P-24 and P-30 and Red on the Paint-9....neat. My Highland green car has its inspector markings in yellow. Also, the white paint crayon number is the rotation number and is always found on the driver's side, under the front of the hood. It is super to see original markings like these. Thanks

Russ

P

PNewitt

Russ,

Neat, and very rare valve covers! If you notice, on these and the '67-'68 COBRA valve covers, the depressions on the sides of the covers are "squarish", and not round, as found on the later repro valve covers.

In the new book, I'll list out what you could have bought from SHELBY AMERICAN as accessory items for the GT/CS (or any other '68 Ford). Too bad that "National Mustang Club" doesn't accept vintage/period accessories; if installed properly.

As for markings, etc., although I find them interesting, you might consider the irony of these marks' origin. The paint marks in different colors were for the assembly plant (i..e. "the green marked part goes on the red marked part", etc..). Colored part marks are also listed on the build sheet.

Paul N.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1569;start=15#msg9493 date=1113409062]
[glow=red,2,300]did someone say original marks? Here are a few from a car I just bought Saturday. Original paint is still on the car.[/glow]
So....don't keep us hanging. Let's hear about the car. Is this the 390 4-speed car you were talking about Saturday?

Where on the car are the various numbers?
[/quote]

here is the Marti report on it showing the C-6 auto. Car was picked up today in Vegas and might be here on Sunday. (I think you got the 390 CS with 4 speed I am possibly aquiring, my fingers are crossed about the 390 CS).

marti390gt.jpg