• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 LED lights for front turn signals and others question.....

390cs68rcode

Anyone using these? Thought they might be a cool upgrade and give me something to do in my new warehouse (2700 ft. mancave).

Pro's and Con's? Looking for people who have installed them and have first hand knowledge if possible. Also for the interior lights, map lights and pretty much whatever ones they sell at NPD.

I have been using the rear LED tail lights since they came out and like them.

franklinair

I installed LED's throughout my entire car. They're brighter, cooler, and only pull a fraction of the current of incandescent bulbs. For the external LED's, don't skimp on the number of LED elements. IIRC, I used 27 to 30. For the dash lights I opted for the white rather than the colors available. (You have to remove the blue diffusers) The white gives a nice soft, but bright and more 'stock' appearance. The lower current requirement for LED's should extend the life of the turn signal and headlight switches.

Neil

NosAvrenim

you didn't keep the blue diffusers on the dash ones? I kinda want to have the green/bluish tint

+1 I'm a big fan of the stock tint. Seems much easier on the eyes for nighttime driving.

I installed LED's throughout my entire car.

The LED conversion is high on my list of future mods. What make/brand did you use when you converted all around?

rvrtrash

If I was changing the LED's in the dash, I'd go with red. My 07 Shelby is set up for red when the lights come on and I love it.

Steve

franklinair

I got the exterior LED's from superbrightleds.com
The instrument LED's from NPD. (There is another LED supplier, advertises in magazines)
Trust me on this: use the white instrument LED's, removing the blue diffusers. You'll like the appearance, and the intensity IS adjustable via the headlight switch dimmer.

Neil

green56

I haqve them in both of my cars 66 Conv and the 68GT/CS they are soft on the eyes at night on one of them i had to put a different socket because the dash socketd were to small Will this spring will but them it the tail light and front signal I put blue in the 68 and green in the 66 they were well worth it

Midnight Special

I got the exterior LED's from superbrightleds.com
The instrument LED's from NPD. (There is another LED supplier, advertises in magazines)
Trust me on this: use the white instrument LED's, removing the blue diffusers. You'll like the appearance, and the intensity IS adjustable via the headlight switch dimmer.

Neil

Neil (or anyone), What is the precise recipe you used for converting GT/CS turn signals & brake lights to LED ie: correct flashers, resistors, etc...? I tried the bulbs sometime back, but as stupid is what stupid does - 'felt rather stupid when they didn't flash.

I know I could research it or do more trial & error, but I thought it might be good to ask an expert to post it here.

Thank you! :)

franklinair

superbrightleds.com has the bulbs listed with 19 to 30 LED's. Get red for the tail/brake lights. If the LED's don't flash with your original Flasher, get an 'LED compatible' flasher at your local auto parts house. (I did not have to change mine) Their webpage gives good info.

Neil

68 special

I also put the red led's in the tail lights and really like them. They are alot brighter than the originals and I didn't have to change the flasher. Picked them up at the local auto parts store. Next, side markers and dash lights.

Bret

nfrntau

Jason,
Are you asking about the sequential LED's that Mustang Project sells. If so that's what I'm running in my car. They are bright and look cool. They are also difficult to get in the housings and tricky to wire in without external wires sticking out. I did it, the drivers side works fine and the passenger side has shorted out twice. MP is in the process of sending me a new one now. If your not looking for sequential, I think NPD or even O'riellys may have a LED replacement for the small hood light which is also the same bulb as the interior lights. If they don't Mustang Project also sells them, they are also bright, MP sells them in several colors. I recommend them and their only $5 or 6 bucks each.. All of my LED's came from MP. They seem like pretty reasonable folks to work with.
Cheers
Bill