• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Roof Rail rubber gasket

franklinair

I've removed the roof side rails & seals getting the car ready for the paint shop. There is also a thin (maybe1/8" thick, 1 1/2" wide) rubber seal between the stainless roof side rail seal retainer. Of course with age it disintegrated when I removed the stainless pieces. Question:Where can one purchase replacement material? I don't see it listed in NPD's catalog. Any good substitute?

Neil

somethingspecial

I went to the local auto body paint store and they got me some rubber strip (large roll) the width and thickness I needed for the door roof rail and fenders. Not cheap, but well worth it. Don't recall what it was called, but they should have a catalog you can check out. Hope this helps Neil. Mike

dalorzo_f

Yep, I used single sided neoprene I found at a local rubber goods shop. I think it was 20 or 25mm wide and 3mm thick (uncompressed). I stuck it to the stainles trim and then screwed the assembly to the body.

I don't know if the OEM was double stick or not, but the single seem to work well, have used it on a few cars and on my convertible for the A pillar similar trim with no issues.

pnsy56shop

Source for PVC foam sealer tape

NPD now carries PVC foam sealer tape #516A02 also I have found that Herco neoprene contact adhesive #7160 work good just pour out what you need don't leave any metal in the can it discolors the adhesive after a few months.

Last edited: