• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

losing my car

bindiman99

hey everyone this is post of sadness

i got my car last year and didnt know what it was thought it was a plain jane mustang and with research found out it was a california special. i bought this car right before my daughter was born and thought i would still have the time and money to put into it. 4 1/2 months later and several hundred diaper changes ive come to the realization i will not have time to put into this project and the money from selling it would greatly inhance my daughters life. i hate to get rid of this car and i put it on ebay last night with a kind of high reserve because i dont want to see it go and i couldnt imagine selling it for less. has anyone out there gone throught what i am. im afraid if i sell this car ill never be able to aquire another one

bpcsgt

Well, I really understand what your going through. Back in high school I had a 68 390 gt and I decided to sell it because I was leaving for the military. I've regreted it ever since. I did find that car again but it has since been wrecked and altered to the point where it would be to expensive for me to restore. Not to mention that the owner is asking an arm and a leg for it. I ended up buying a 68 cs/gt J code, and Ive been very happy with it. My advice to you is to look at your situation and decide whats more important. Other oppurtunities will always come along its just a matter of being patient and always keeping your eyes open. Hope this helps. ;D

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

i was wondering if i was asking to much for my car i set it at 4000.00 it does need a lot of work am i being unrealistic

admin

Staff member
Administrator
It's very hard to tell from the photos since they're a bit small. Are all the parts there? Does everything mechanical work on it? Rust?

Based on the limited info from the photos $4000 seems high.

68sunlitgold

bidman99,
As Jon stated, it's hard to tell from the pictures. There are some questoins that need to be answered:

- Do you have a Marti Report verifying it as a true GT/CS
- Are all the unique CS parts there and in what condition
- Does it have the "GT" option
- What is the engine size
- How much rust does it have
- Has it been in an accident
- Is it a number matching car, car VIN matches engine VIN
- What is the condition of the interior
-What is the mechanical condition, does it run

These questions will help determine the sale price. Don't forget to look at teh "Price Guide" link to the left. I hope this helps you.

Now as for selling it. I tried real hard to sell my first '68 Mustang coupe my senior year in high school. Thank goodness no one whated to pay what I wanted for it. I still have it and now would never think about selling it. Believe me, I know what a finacial purdon a child can bring to a young family, but if you have some place to store it until things improve do it.

Doug

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

all fiberglass is missing the car was rear ended some time ago and parked when it was purchase by another previous owner he told me alot was missing and didnt know what he had he bondoed over the scoop holes and script holes the lucas lights are still there and so are the hood pin washers and brackets but no 1/4 locks a new taillight panel was installed and a 67 decklid was put on when i bought it i thought it was a reg 68 when i looked inside the doors it still had the gtcs stripe endings gone on the outside i have run the numbers on the motor trans and rear they all are correct to the car it runs perfectly i bought a original pair of 65 t-bird taillights (buckets lenses bezels and wiring on the buckets) it has factory tinted glass heavy duty susp pwr steering and auto trans it has mostly surface rust but a small plum size hole of rust in both rear 1/4s and in the pass door the floor pans have minor surface rust and a pinhole in the rear pass pan but it is solid i dug with a screw driver and couldnt enlarge it at all. i got a cac report and it gave options but no cs option the car has never been restored but converted to black interior at one time it still has the cs taillight wiring the gtcs parts still on the car ie grill fog lights hood pin brackets and taillight wiring are obviously orig to the car the guy i bought it from thought is was just a car someone did some mods to not nowing about the gtcs i also found a repair tag on the am radio dating back to 1972 after calling information and getting her phone number i was suprised she still lived in the same town she remembers the car and stated that she loved to drive in it and how her husband just had to have one after winning at a keno game in las vegas she didnt remember anything but it was a mustang when i sent her a photo of a reg mustang and a gtcs she stated the gtcs is what she used to own. she asked how the car was and wished me luck and hoped i would be happy with it

this is a number matching car and runs perfectly the only reason why i posted 4000.00 was because of this and ive seen cars completely dissassembled go for this i can get a orig decklid and was going to throw it in for 300.00 so it would be missing end caps taillight panel and scoops at that point. i dont want to get rid of it either thats part of the reason for 4000.00 but i figure if someone really wants one of these cars the price is worth it for the both of us

rvrtrash

Hey Bindiman, If you really like the car, find a way to keep it. 12 years ago I made the mistake of selling the '72 R code Mach 1 I'd owned for 14 years. I spent the next 10 years kicking myself in the arse, and then a year looking for something to replace it. Infants require a lot of attention and things can seem overwhelming, but it will get better. Find a place to store it, give yourself a breather and tackle it again in a year.
Steve

Calspecialdreamer

Actually, if you can get 4K for that, I would sell it. In a few years you could buy one in the same shape for the same price, if not less, I would be willing to bet. Many people are offering their Cal Specials for sale, but are not getting the price. I have been tracking them HARD for about 18 months (along with HCS's) and can back this up with stats. Today my son will be calling from Arizona on a CS, yellow, J code, and the guy wants 10.5K. He is going to let me offer first before he puts it on ebay. I am awaiting the particulars, but if history holds true, it is probably about a 7.5K car. But if it's one thing I have learned, you will get what the market will bear and sometimes their is someone willing to pay your price! I've been watching on Ebay on yours and the reserve has been met! You did good bro! Congratulations!

OP
OP
B

bindiman99

i conctacted the winning bidder and he sent me back an email saying that he didnt expect to win the auction and that he would still try to honor it but he had to take it up with his wife. if he renigs on his bid what can i do besides leave a bad post for him im kinda glad hes not sure of taking the car but i did need the money. if he doesnt pay im definatly going to keep the car and ruff it through untill things get a little better. i now look at it and am praying that he doesnt take the car i had some serious sellers remorse

thanx for the posts everyone

oh and by the way i got lucky on the decklid i bought it was a original gt/cs decklid and the good part was that it was the original color of my car candyapple red
BEST 200.00 EVER SPENT IF I GET TO KEEP IT
NOW TO TALK THIS GUY OUT OF GETTING THE CAR :-\

Calspecialdreamer

Bindi

Let him know he doesn't have to honor the bid but you will leave a NEUTRAL comment saying he bid without paying. If he has to ask his wife, he probably can't afford it anyway! That way, you get to keep your car and we are all warned about the guy. I had a guy who won my car and couldn't pay, but I just let him off the hook. I wasn't ready to sell and I didn't think the reserve would get even close! I should have left a comment under his name to let others know tho.....