• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Lentech Ford AOD Transmissions

robert campbell

All,
I finished the install of a Lentech reprogramed valve body inside my AOD transmission today. I have been running an AOD (automatic overdrive) in my Mustang GNS for about 2 years. I am a bit of a performance guy and hated the shift sequence of the Ford AOD. Len Bertrand of Lentech automatics hails our of Richmond, Ontario and I have to say is the most knowledgeable guy on the planet when it comes to our Ford AOD automatics!

I hated the shift sequence of the stock Ford AOD. It does not shift like a C4 or C6 in manual mode. When you manually shift from first to second it shifts quickly into third. It made performance shifting of the AOD automatic nearly impossible. Len has perfected a “reprogramed” AOD valve body that allows you to shift from first to third just like a C4 and C6 with a toggle switch to engage or disengage overdrive.

I have to tell you I hated my AOD until today! Now I can use it to its full performance and enjoy the overdrive feature for cruising. The best of all worlds!

Len Bertrand at Lentech is ready with complete AOD transmissions from strip to street level in trim! Or just a valve body conversion for your stock AOD. I could not be happier with the service and technical assistance. Finally, my AOD is all it can be!! Thanks Len! Visit his website and view his 71 Maverick as it hangs the front tires for a 9.13 quarter mile pass!! I love it!!!

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodhome.html

Rob

whodat

I myself hates the way my AOD shifts. It seems to rob power from the engine and I have to press the gas harder for it to go. I was fixing to text my transmission guy to see how much horsepower I need for performance. I was even thinking of a shift kit or something.

stangfan

My other Mustang is a 1990 Limited Edition Convertible (aka 7-Up Car). It is a 5.0 with the AOD. I agree, that transmission in stock form sucks. Even with a Trans-Go shift kit, the shifts especially into o/d felt wrong. A couple of years ago, my shop installed a Ford Racing Wide-Ratio Upgrade kit. The difference is like night and day. The transmission now shifts VERY positively even into o/d. I used to hate the AOD. Now I love it. :grin:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
The factory Ford AOD in stock configuration was not produced as a high performance piece. It suffers from lazy shifting and a weird Low, Drive, Overdrive shift sequence. It does not lend itself to manual shifting. In the manual mode when you shift from low to drive it skips second gear. This makes the car fell very sluggish.

In automatic mode the throttle valve cable adjustment is critical. Its adjustment controls how long it stays in first second and third gear as you accelerate. A cable adjusted to long will keep it in gear longer but will be hard to get into overdrive. The shorter you make the cable the shorter it stays in gear and up shifts before the car reaches an optimum RPM and makes your car feel sluggish. And it goes into overdrive sooner unless you lock it out by moving the selector back to the second position which is drive. This locks out the overdrive gear. But, again no manual mode worth a crap!

My car had great crisp shifts, but for performance reasons I wanted it to shift like an old C4 or C6 in manual mode. Put it in first and floor it! When you hit 6,000 RPM you move it to second and bam, continue to 6,000 RPM in second and bam, shift to third. A stock AOD will not do that.

That is what led me to Lentech and Len Bertrand. He reprograms the Ford AOD valve body to shift just like an old C4 and you have a button to lock out overdrive on your dash or console. He has various versions of the Street valve body to improve the shift also. He also knows the limitations of your stock AOD and will advise you to the proper valve body based on your performance and horse power.

Drove mine to work today. What a huge improvement! I finally like my AOD! Len is very personable and a great guy to talk to on the phone. One of the most helpful vendors I have ever dealt with. I never felt like he did not have the time to talk me through any of this.

Rob