• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

AOD Conversion and P-R-N-D-2-1?

miller511

Hi all,

I'm starting to think again about an AOD conversion on the CS. I stopped at my local transmission shop and talked with the owner about it. Something he brought up was what to do with P-R-N-D-2-1.

Do they make a P-R-N-D-3-2-1 insert for the '68 console?

For those who have already been down this road- What did you do (Joe?)

The transmission shop owner says that functionally it will simply "index" between the D, 2, and 1. and won't "light" nicely on the console. Seems kind of not right to have it like that....but maybe I'm just too structured ;-)

Maybe I'm not fully understanding it...

-Jeff

joedls

Jeff,

Run from that transmission guy and find one that is familiar with this conversion. The AOD only has 6 detentes, not 7; the same number of detentes that your C4 has. I bought a kit from Ron Morris Performance that allowed me to use my stock shifter. Your C4 has P R N D 2 1 while an AOD has P R N (D) D 1.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info. Ron Morris Performance is about 1/2 hour from me (never been there...yet). I'll stop by and talk with them.

-Jeff

joedls

If I remember correctly, I needed a TV cable, shift linkage, & crossmember. The Ron Morris crossmember did not work with long tube headers. I ended up having to have a crossmember fabricated. I also had to have my driveshaft shortened. I don't remember whether or not I had to have a different flexplate, but I believe I did.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Joe,

Thanks for the list of parts. It's good to know what works/doesn't work with a particular setup.

-Jeff