CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/03/2019, 07:19 AM   #1
RoStang

Looking for a Scoop

I just acquired the GT/CS out of Shelbyville, In. Well optioned Acapulco Blue. I am sure there will be many more parts I need however right out of the gate I need to find a passenger side body scoop. Found a repo on CJ Pony parts. Anyone have an NOS or know of one I could purchase. Thanks, Ro.
RoStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2019, 12:38 AM   #2
RoStang

Help

Any input would be appreciated. As I go in to this restoration it appears that I am going to be running in to the resto or NOS issue frequently, such as with this passenger side body scoop. I also know that I need a new windshield. Does it diminish the restored value of the car to use resto parts. I bought the car to restore and enjoy and because I have always wanted one, not to flip. Ro
Old 08/06/2019, 04:58 AM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
It is important to clearly define how you will use your car, what level of restoration you want and how the first two fit in to the budget you have.

I mostly build Concours trailered class cars. They are judged on cleanliness, quality of parts, workmanship and authenticity. Reproduction parts are excepted provided they match the fit finish and function of the original parts.
These type of restorations can cost twice as much a driver type restorations. So if you started down this path and decided you want to add some go fast stuff you will have wasted a lot of money on correct parts. Just as bad if you run out of budget and can not finish what you started.

For most people I would recommend quality driver grade restoration that may include some modifications to personalize the car to you. I would not do any modifications that can not be reversed such a sheet metal alterations.

There are good people on this site that can and will help you with what ever path you may choose.

I may know of someone who may have a original scoop. I will check on it for you.
you can make the reproduction ones work but it required a bit of refitting.

Good luck
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2019, 06:03 AM   #4
RoStang

Thanks.

Thanks Marty.
Old 08/08/2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Tequila

My Garage
Ro,
I was in the same boat as you about 3 years ago when I started the restoration of my GT/CS. Originally I wanted to stay with the original specs and bought a lot of NOS parts. I also paid a lot of money trying to match the original specs on a 289 engine with the correct nuts, bolts, pulleys, brackets, etc. In the end the 289 didn't run very well and also the vacuum advance on the distributor was getting in the way of the AC bracket. Long story short, I removed that engine and built a fairly decent performance engine with the internal components that we hand picked. I am very happy with the decision to add more power, headers, etc. Nothing that can't be removed and go back to stock if we ever need to.

I am still planning on keep the originality of the car and using most of the NOS / original parts that I restored / purchased... Interior would be all stock, paint would have a tad bit of metallic flakes to make it pop..

My recommendation is to go with whatever that makes you happy. And Marty is absolutely right in his assessment.

On the scoop, even the NOS ones might require some rework. At least the one I purchased as an NOS still needed some rework.

Good luck with the restoration.

Last edited by Tequila; 08/08/2019 at 11:31 AM..
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions