• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Kelsey hayes calipers

68 special

I'm in the process of rebuilding a set of '67 kelsey Hayes disc brake calipers and there is a plate that covers the disc pads with a screw on each end.

My question is , are the 2 spring clips that are supposed to be attached to the inside of the plate really necessary or can the plate be attached without the clips. Not quite sure of the clips purpose. My manual shows some clips that attach in place of the plate.

Thanks Bret

J.Bart

i have a set i also am going to put on my 68 cs.
i haven't had a chance to do much with them yet.

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

J.Bart, Do yours have the plate that attaches to the outside of the caliper, it wraps around the opening on the outside where the pads are? The manual shows 2 small clips that attach at each end, but don't cover the entire opening. Looks like they(clips) put pressure on the pads or just a retainer. I was told mine were '67, but maybe they are actually '66. I think '67 was the last year, but not sure when they were 1st used.

Bret

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

Finally got the drums and related hardware off 1 side. The disc backing plate bolts right up the '68 drum spindle. Pretty cool. Now I'm painting the calipers. This is going to be easier than I thought.

Bret