• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need engine advice

luisa2552

Well, after pestering the guy I got my CS from for the original 302, we discover the engine he has is NOT the original engine of the car:undecided . So, now I'm wondering what to do. The engine in it now is a '65 289. It runs well but it looks like a 40 year old engine and I really want to get it looking nice under the hood. If the best way to do that is to remove the engine, I'm thinking of replacing it with another engine. This is a ways down the line, but I'm still curious as to what you all would do.

nfrntau

Go for an aluminum 427 shelby motor. lol
Depending on how much power you want, you can purchase a new ready to run engine from many suppliers. It comes on a pallet, you pick it up and bolt it in, simple as that.
I have an article at the house that explains how to detail your engine/engine compartment without removing your motor. When I get home tomorrow I will scan it and email it to you. Takes an afternoon or two, a few cans of spray paint and will enhance the looks quite a bit.
Cheers

dbeal

I would go with the 302. You may not be able to find the original, but you can find one that is date correct. That is what I have for mine. It is not the original engine, but it is year and within a couple of months correct for my GT/CS. In the mean time enjoy the car as you restore it!

twoclassics

It only takes about 2 hours to remove the motor, I know because I have done it 3 times this winter and the first time was my first engine removal job. If you want it to look good take the motor out and detail the motor and the engine, It will look better in the long run

Jayscal

What is so bad about the 65 289? If it was a factory 4 barrel motor it has the closed chamber heads. These heads also have the built in pushrod guides. The 289 4V engines were 10:1 compression rato. These heads used to be highly sought after before the aftermarket head manufacturers became reasonable. The motor you have is probably stronger than what was originally in the car.

When my original 289 2V got to 225,000 miles I bought my friends tired original 289 4V block and heads. The block had never been bored out, so I bought it to rebuild while I was still using my car as a daily driver back in 1989. In 2002. I wanted to increase the horsepower, so I installed a bigger cam and had bigger valves installed. The intakes are 1.94 and I believe the exhaust are 1.750, It is kind of close but it works great. You can also go with stock valves and have hardened seats and stainless steel valves, and keep the high compression.

Attachments

• H_big_valves_lg_a.jpg
    H_big_valves_lg_a.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 23

davidathans

Well i think you'll know what i would recommend....a 302 bored and stroked to a 347...use a lunati cam .544 intake .560 exhaust with 232 at .05 intake and 242 at .05 exhaust hydrualic roller lifters...use AFR185 alum heads with aluminum roller rockers 1.6 ratio...edlebrock performer rpm aluminum intake man. A holley 4 barrel carb...this combo is streetable, reliable and will yield you 400bhp you wont be dissapointed :)

Mustanglvr

Sara, My car has the same engine as yours and I love it. If you want to spend alot of money, then go ahead and put a 427 Shelby motor or 347 Stroker in it, like these guys said. If you don`t want to spend that much, go for the 302 . But if you`re not planning on spending hardly any money at all, then take Nfrntau`s advice on how to detail your motor in 2 hours. Clean it and paint it and see if it suits you.

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

The 289 runs great and it's plenty powerful for me, it's just in sad looking shape. So being that I'm not at all mechanical, what would it run me to have it pulled out and cleaned? Or a date correct 302?