• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gas Tank Restore

dalorzo_f

Was going to swap out the tank in the "refreshed" GTCS. But them when looking at it saw a date stamp... original tank in "good" shape.

A few hours of acetone, turpentine and wax and grease remover and its cleaning up OK.

Any recommendations on a final surface treatment to brighten up the zinc as its dulled out from the chemical hit and light scrubbing to remove 40+ year of road grime, tar, some black goo someone sprayed in the trunk, and other layers of "stuff"...

???

Ruppstang

Super Clean wheel cleaner works well. I would not use a used tank unless you seal it with a gas tank sealer. Todays fuel will break loose all kinds of crud and it will plug you filters. Guess how I know.

robert campbell

For the inside I have used about a 3 pound coffee can of 3/4 minus sharp edge gravel. But it inside and call over a friend that will never come back again and "shake shake shake" "shake shake shake" "your gas tank"!!! your gas tank! To the tune of KC and the sunshine band!!

Turn it on its sides, on its top. dump the gravel out and flush with a small amount of gas, diesel, or kerosene. Crud be gone!! Always blow down your gas line and drain your fuel pump.

Has worked very well for me to save an original tank. You could coat it, but I have done a bunch without coating them. Of course you need to stay up on your fuel stabilizer and keep the tanks full to prevent condensation.

Rob

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

The question is about the external finish.

It was in the car, running fine as a daily driver and just want to clean the outside before reinstalling.