• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Nice CS on eBay

case12

Check this CS out on eBay. From Redwood City, CA - This one looks really nice for someone looking for one with a lot of history. Original sticker, recall letters, sales receipt, warranty card. The pictures are worth putting in your files - There is some really good provenance. The car just looks great. Also, note use of Paul's book to point out authenticity...hopefully not a copyright problem. Does anyone know if it is in the registry? 8R01C152029

I have my CS, but maybe someone out there is looking for a real nice one in candy apple red?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=4513607759&category=6236&sspagename=WDVW

Casey

68gt390

Casey;
I checked both Paul's books and didn't find it. Very nice car and a lot of documentation on it. I love seeing the "C" code cars selling for that kind of money if he gets it. He's in the high retail area. For that kind of money you shouldn't have to do any work to it. I hope to get mine appraised this summer after I finish with the rearend and brakes. Curious to see how it breaks out.

Don :D

OP
OP
case12

case12

Out of curiosity I asked about the wheels and exhaust (since I didnt see the GT option listed on the window sticker), and I got a very nice response back. Here it is:

"....interested in the purchase of my California Special? If so you can call me with any questions at 206/498/3107 My name is tom. Thanks for the compliment on the car. I believe the wheels are the original, The exhaust has been redone but is not any different than the layout of the original. The chrome tips are a California Special original too although they are after market copies."

68sunlitgold

Casey,
the wheels are the optional chrome wheels you could order from the dealer, which may have happened here. However, you are correct that the rear valance has been changed, I'm sure once the dual exhaust was installed. I am sure everyone knows that the chrome exhaust tips where not a part of the CS option.

But I do agree, the car does look very nice and he has alot of good documentation.

Doug

68gt390

As Doug stated, the chrome tips were not part of the CS Package but, were part of the GT Option and was on all GT Optioned cars. It's very obvious the rear valance (GT Option) has been changed to add the dual exhaust and tips. The "C" code engine was not offered as a GT optioned car. That's were the problem usually comes into play with even dealers selling the CS today think that all CS's were GT's simply because of the GT/CS striping. There are still a lot of folks out there that are comfused about these cars and the GT option package.

Don :)

PB gtcs

Folks, Paul and I put most of the GT options on our car, the GT gas cap, wheel covers, rear valance, tips and such. It is a C code car. In your opinion, does that reduce the value of the car? Not lookin to start a war, just wondering how folks feel on this one?

Brian

68sunlitgold

Brain,
not really because all your changes are easy to replace if someone wanted to go back to "original" status. I too like the rear valance cut outs with dual exhaust which I plan to do when I start my restoration.
Value is always what someone is willing to pay for the car but as long as you do not do something that can not be change easily the number of people who are willing to pay what you want will increase, where as radical changes may only get you a few people.

Doug

68gt390

Brian;
I have had numerous folks tell me my CS is not a true GT optioned car simply because the GT pop open gas cap is not there. I plan on adding it mainly because I think it just looks better. Just goes to show you how much people really don't know about the CS and for that matter the GT package that was offered by Ford. Myself, I wish Ford would have offered the GT package for the "C" code cars. I think it just gives the car better looks all around. As Doug stated, value is what somebody is willing to pay. I would think the GT add on items would actually help sell the car myself.

Don

hcsstang

??? What about a 302 with the cut outs? I switched it to duals and tips during the restoration. Since it's a J code could you get it with the duals?

68gt390

[quote author=hcsstang link=board=1;threadid=1279;start=0#msg7329 date=1103850959]
??? What about a 302 with the cut outs? I switched it to duals and tips during the restoration. Since it's a J code could you get it with the duals?
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, the "J" code 4bbl could have been ordered with the GT package which included the GT valance and dual quad tips.

Did you also install the GT valance when you switched it over to duals?

Don

68sunlitgold

hcsstang,
Don is right that the 302 could be ordered with the "GT Option" and then would have dual exhaust. However the 302 without the GT option came standard from the factory with single exhaust. I do believe you could have ordered the 302 from the factory with a dual exhaust option without ordering the GT option.

Doug

hicountrybob

Doug, right on, with the GT option and dual quads within, but I've never been able to locate anything in my accessory and option stuff about any ordering of duals by itself. And I have GOT to have the quads on my cars, no matter what (even a 6 banger hcs I had one time was taken in for the SPLIT MANIFOLD treatment and beatup old swap meet quad tips). But I believe (this is me now) that "yeh, we can get duals for you for that c or j car) hello, Midas Muffler Shops. I, too would like to see something documented on this subject of duals on non GT j cars and c cars. Bob

hcsstang

;D Yep, I put the GT valance with the tips and I think that it looks sharpe. Thanks for the reply on the windshield. After NEW Year I'll start looking. ::)