• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Highly Optioned J Code in need of restoration

Mosesatm

It seems to be a very solid car with very little rust, it's just baked in the Yakima sun for 20 years so the interior needs to be replaced, as well as all the hoses and other rubber items. It was hit in the right rear at one time and the shop replaced the right quarter panel, made a new end-cap, and replaced the tail light panel.

Below is a list of bullet points Steve and I compiled about the car. In no particular order.

The passenger end cap is a morph of a normal cap and a GT/CS cap, but the seller has a reproduction replacement.

The lower control arms look original.

The Lucas lights have “England” lenses but the housings need to be rechromed

The hood locks are attached with pop rivets.

The upper and lower consoles are in good condition.

According to the seller the car starts with an external fuel supply

There are bee hives throughout the car

I couldn’t get very far under the car but what I could see showed no rust-outs, even the battery area is fairly solid.

The passenger side quarter has been replaced. Fairly good work, but noticeable if you look.

The driver’s side quarter probably needs to be repaired or replaced due to old rust repairs. My guess is that the rust was repaired with filler.

There are no rust bubbles on the doors

There are the normal rust spots on the top of the inner fenders

The rear bumper has a trailer hitch drilled into it

The owner installed power disc brakes

The tail light panel is improperly installed, with screws in the tabs

The tail lights are wired through a hole cut into one of the inner covers

The hood is original and is starting to rust on the underside

The interior chrome is so pitted it looks like white mold

The exterior chrome is remarkably not pitted

The scoops look original but they are missing the screens

The car was originally Seafoam Green with black stripes

The seats are from a ’69 or ’70 Mach 1

The rear suspension has shackles, air shocks, and ladder bars

The original engine is in a shed at a different location. The owner is going to check the VIN stamp. The engine in the car is a 289 2V from 1965 or 1966.

Yes, as far as we know that is an original GT/CS grille in the trunk. The parts will be sold after the car sells, or possibly with the car, but not before the car sells.

robert campbell

Arlie,
Has anyone see the actual Marti report for this car? The tach, tilt away, and convenience control group maybe an add? As was the 9 inch and the deluxe interior were. do we know that it is a GT optioned car?

Based on the above it may be a just a 4 speed J code car with a bunch of add ons. A guy like me would not care and be happy with all the great add ons, but many may shy away from that.

A friend in my area got in contact with the first registrar back in the day looking for a loaded GT/CS. He wanted red with black and all the goodies. The registrar found such and animal in California and my friend bought it. It had a tach, a tilt wheel, deluxe interior, and convenience group. He was new to the hobby and when I looked at it I found that it was an original yellow standard interior car and that all the options were add ons. Convenience group was in the dash but no wiring. He was very disappointed when he found out. The wiring under the dash was a mess.

We ended up fixing all the problems and it was later sold to a member of the Red Hot Chile Peppers? But represented properly.

I love all the adds myself and it looks like a great project for the right guy!! Has Tim seen those home made side pipes??? They look like straight pipes with no muffler packing like normal side pipes. They have to be loud beyond loud!!!

Rob

rvrtrash

I mentioned Tim's name when I saw the side pipes. :smile:

Steve

Mosesatm

Here's the Marti. We may need to rename this thread!

Attachments

• 8R01J157484_stdrpt.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 140

CougarCJ

That was a surprise, no options. The only thing beyond what is indicated on the door tag is an AM radio and GT/CS confirmation.

Mosesatm

I don't think so, but I'll send the owner a note to find out for sure.

Mosesatm

It's still for sale. The owner is going to get it running this weekend.

GregL

I spoke with Jim (very nice fellow) yesterday, gave me lots of info about the car. Unfortunately the 302 that is in the shed is not the original motor and it's missing the heads and intake. While this is an interesting car that deserves a full restoration, I have to agree with earlier posters that the asking price is simply too high for the current condition. However Jim did say he had some flexibility there.
Greg

GregL

Hi Guys,
I just spoke with Jim again and he corrected me. The 302 is NOT missing the cylinder heads. Only the intake and carb. I misunderstood. Sorry about that :embarass:
Greg.

rvrtrash

Looks like they did get it running and moved it out of the holes it was sitting in. I can't say I agree completely with that review, as I didn't see it as a "rusted out piece of junk". I couldn't see under it completely, but what I did see wasn't that bad. It needs everything, and was overpriced (for me, anyway) but still had potential (at several thousand dollars less).

Steve

Mosesatm

I agree with Steve. The car needs a complete interior and the left quarter most likely needs to be replaced but I didn't see any major rust. Perform a little work on the brakes, suspension, steering, and fuel system, and the car could be a driver.

GregL

Hey Guys,
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I think you all know I'm looking for a GT/CS project (and asking lots of questions here on the forum!). I'm looking at all possible cars regardless of condition, drive train combination, options, color or location. I have been contacted or reached out to several different cars so far. Some not too bad, some pretty rough. I'm not afraid to take on either, provided the price reflects the condition. However, I'm finding a few are selling/pricing by "potential worth" once restoration is complete (and I am certainly not referring to this particular car when I say that). But I've found cars needing complete floors and trunk, quarter panels and front fenders with an asking price of $10K or better. I've also found a couple of pretty basic cars with zero options, no motor or trans priced fairly high as well. I realize there is a limited number of GT/CS cars available so that could reflect the abnormally high pricing for some of these projects, but spending $10K and then adding to that another $10K in restoration work makes an already finished car at $15 to $20K look pretty attractive. The trick is finding the break point between purchase price, condition, drive train, options, and post-purchase investment.
Just my opinion. :wink:
Greg