• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Radio

hookedtrout

Well now that I made a decision on my radio antenna ::) and it's in place and looks great ::) I guess my next need will be a radio. I did buy a second bezel and...WARNING TO THE FEINT OF HEART...cut the worst of the two out so I could install a CD player. I like music and if it makes anyone feel any better it had already had the fine inside lip filed off to accomodate an aftermarket cassette radio at one time by someone other than myself.

Anyway I'm going to install a really nice but removable CD stereo system and I want to get a correct AM radio for the good bezel so I can put it in place when I go to the local show and shines. Any advice? I'm watching eBay now, anyone have one they would part with, not really concerned if it works or not just so the knobs are there and it is in fairly good visual condition as it won't be in place when I want to listen to music...I like music, music of all flavors dependent upon my mood. Philco is the correct AM for 68...right?

Hook

P

PNewitt

If you drive your car (to smoke the tires, right? LOL), I wouldn't worry too much about an authentic radio. Not that you shouldn't get one, but it is an option not to.

Maybe you could get one of those (Custom Auto Sound?) Radios that they make for Mustangs, Classic cars, etc. I think they make one for the stock dash--where the CDs are in a unit in the trunk. That would be slick.

Just an idea.

Paul N.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I've already got a new Alpine CD AM FM deck installed. Came out of my F150 which I had just installed it in but I sold the truck so I took it back out. Bought an F250 Super Duty for pulling and I couldn't see leaving the Alpine in the F150 and the new 250 had a CD player so the Mustang was the only thing left CD'less. I'm putting in an amp and some Rockford Fosgate 10" speakers. I'll box the trunk speakers so they are removable, as for the front mids and tweets I may just take it to the audio shop and say don't cut anything but get them installed out of sight and make dang sure it isn't set up to do the thump thump thing, just crystal clear sound with all the range I want. That should worsen my already horrible hearing, but it will sound great doing it. ::)

Hook

x-codegtcs

I think I have a couple of AM correct radios. If you are interested, just let me know and I will go check it out.

I have also heard of what Paul has referred to above with the modification to the original. A friend of mine modified his 8-track so he can switch between AM/FM and his 8-track. Plus, when they did the conversion, they increased the channel output. It is pretty cool, cause then he is not switching out the radios and can listen to all the stations.

The CD player -though is another challenge. He is trying to decide where to hide it so he does not need to remove it, but can make it easy to change CD's. The purists dilema...

Bryce

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Thanks Bryce. Take a look and let me know what you have and what you would need for one. I'm definitely going to try and get one for show. hcsstang is going to check at the Carlisle show in June for me, sounds like you can pick them up on the cheap at the shows.

Hook

68gt390

Custom Auto Sound - Not. I had one of their setups put into my GT Coupe with trunk mounted CD and have had nothing but problems. Dealer that installed it has swaped both the control unit and CD deck twice and still the darn thing doesn't work. We are now in the process of figuring out our next plan of attack. Even the buttons they sent me for the stock console don't fit correctly. I had to make my own set. Those folks won't see my business again.

Don :mad:

jk89cat

custom auto sound uses kenwood componets which are absolute crap . i love alpine i have 3 , one in the kitty, one in the f150 and one in my ma's crown vicky