• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Export Brace Monte Carlo Bar

68MustangHCS

I noticed a lot of people have these on their cars.

Was the export brace a dealer installed option?

Was the monte carlo bar also a dealer installed option?

I had a 1965 convertible that was an export model, it only had the export brace.

Where did the monte carlo bar come from? racing? shelby?

68gt390

If I'm not mistaken, most monte carlo bars have been added by the owners. A lot of the factory racing teams used them and private owners like them simpy because they help stop shock tower flex and help maintain proper wheel alignment during cornering. Helps stop shock tower stress cracks. I know when I bought my 70 Mach I, 428CJ back in 1970 after returning from Vietnam it came without them. I added them after I bought the car. The original idea was developed by Carroll Shelby.

Don

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1570;start=0#msg9473 date=1113346045]
If I'm not mistaken, most monte carlo bars have been added by the owners. A lot of the factory racing teams used them and private owners like them simpy because they help stop shock tower flex and help maintain proper wheel alignment during cornering. Helps stop shock tower stress cracks. I know when I bought my 70 Mach I, 428CJ back in 1970 after returning from Vietnam it came without them. I added them after I bought the car. The original idea was developed by Carroll Shelby.

Don
[/quote]

Ford part or just an aftermarket add on?

68gt390

After market add-on. They can be picked-up through most High Performance/Speed Shops (Jegs/Summit Racing) and many of your Mustang restoration shops carry them. I've seen a lot of them added to the later Fox bodied cars set up for road racing. Not a bad idea. You'd be supprised how much they do help with front end flex.

Don ;)

case12

I have the monte carlo bar on my 66 convertible (with a 351W shoved in between the shock towers) and it definitely adds stability to the body. My export brace is still stock and two piece. I believe the export brace improvement for aftermarket is in making it one piece and thicker than stock - again for body stability. Casey

P

PNewitt

The Export brace was originally put on Falcons (??) and '65 Mustangs that ran in rallys in Europe. THis was a requirement by the racing officials over there.

In fact, the export brace was a required part on '65-'68 T-5 Mustangs sent to Germany, as per their suspension requirements.

The Monte Carlo bar was a Shelby item, as an add-on to '65-'68 Mustangs and Shelbys. It most likely saw use in Trans Am racing for more stability.

Paul N.