• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shebly GT500 Coupe Clone Pictures

davidathans

I happened to come across this today. It made me want to go home and get my toy, for some interesting side by side pictures. I thought it looked pretty nice and flashy. The engine bay was clean, 289 stock. It was sold today to someone for $12k i was told. What are your thoughts?
Here are the pictures:

Attachments

• shelbyclone.jpg
    shelbyclone.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 35
  • shelbyclone2.jpg
    shelbyclone2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 44
  • shelbyclone3.jpg
    shelbyclone3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 34
  • shelbyclone4.jpg
    shelbyclone4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 28
  • shelbycloneGTCS.jpg
    shelbycloneGTCS.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 48
  • shelbycloneGTCS2.jpg
    shelbycloneGTCS2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 50

68gt390

David;
I'll take your car over that one anyday. Car just looks odd without the chrome rear bumper and the small tail lights. Plus, the front end just doesn't look right with the two big bubble fog lights placed side by side. If you like that type of look it's fine but, doesn't do anything for me. Pretty tackie when you paint over the bumper. Would look better if they would of put a little more spacing between the stripes. Just my thoughts on it.

Don

joedls

68gt390 said:
David;
I'll take your car over that one anyday. Car just looks odd without the chrome rear bumper and the small tail lights. Plus, the front end just doesn't look right with the two big bubble fog lights placed side by side. If you like that type of look it's fine but, doesn't do anything for me. Pretty tackie when you paint over the bumper. Would look better if they would of put a little more spacing between the stripes. Just my thoughts on it.

Don

My thoughts exactly:wink:

Perkchiro

I agree, pretty poor attempt to make it look Shelbyish. Could have at least used a Shelby tail light panel. Oh well, to each his own!:undecided

joedls

Perkchiro said:
I agree, pretty poor attempt to make it look Shelbyish. Could have at least used a Shelby tail light panel. Oh well, to each his own!:undecided

I love those Shelby tail lights.:grin:

Attachments

• 110605 (7).JPG
    110605 (7).JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 72

68 special

It does nothing for the classic mustang at all. Don't like it, but everyones tastes are different.

Bret

PFSlim

I like the paint job and the stripes. Don't mind the look that much. The only thing I would change is the addition of the tail light panel and the chrome bumper.

Everyone is right though David, I would take your car over it anyday!

Paul

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

haha you guys are cool. I like the look of it. For me the regular 68 mustangs without the trunk/spoiler dont look as good as all our GTCS that come with the stock spoiler. With the addition of our spoiler on this car i think it definitely makes it look better than just a regular 68. But ya, seeing this car makes me appreciate my HORIZONTAL Tailamps! I basically like everything about the car except the tail lights and the fog lights. When i had my car next to it, what made me appreciate the other car is that there were no cracks in the paint...where my car has them.
Well just wanted to get some opinions on this pony so thanks to everyone who responded and to all with California Specials...we truly have the greatest mustangs ever made(appearance wise).

P

PNewitt

I never liked stock taillights with the Shelby decklid. It looks out of place. I can see someone's attempt at an Eleanor, with the wheels and driving lights. Those wheels make the tires look too "thin" visually. It leaves too much room between the tires and the inside fender (visually) Kind of like a Hot Wheels toy car.

My question is about your car, David (that IS your Dark Green (or black?) CS, right?). What size wheels and tires do you have on the rear? They look pretty cool.

Also--just my opinion--I'd repaint your taillight panel from white to a silver, or a light green-silver to visually separate it from the Le Mans stripes (if your car is black, paint the taillight panel a gunmetal-grey metallic). I first thought they were too far apart, but then it makes sense that it's an extension of the louvered hood scoops.

I'll need photos of your CS (unless you already sent them) as an example of a CS with Le Mans stripes (or anyone else with the same).

Interesting....
Paul N.

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Paul, thank you for the compliment on the wheels. The car was originally highland green, but when i got it, it had already been painted black, but in numerous places one can still see the highland green paint like inside the trunk area. The wheels are 17x8 in the front with a 245/45ZR17 tire and 17x9 in the rear with a 275/40ZR17 tire. I put these wheels on the car when it had the original 8" rear end and they fit! the only thing was that they did rub on the leaf springs only when i went around turns. So when we needed to redo the rear, we went with a ford 9 inch and had it custom sized to be exactly 1 inch wider. which spaced the wheels out 1/2" toward the fenders on each side and it got rid of the rubbing issue. In the gallery on page 5 now, in my loooong description i mention almost everything about the car. Ya the stripes are a little far apart, but ya my intention was to have stripes coming out of all the scoops on the car (the two in the hood and the scoops on the side). Ya i wish i would have painted the tail light panel any color other than white because dirt gets behind the bumper like crazy and it looks bad.

Paul i will be more than happy to send you any pictures of the mustang, but i really do have a LOT of pictures in my gallery. Perhaps a good picture is the arial shot of the car which shows the stripes really well. Let me know if you want a different picture other than the ones in the gallery and i will email it to you right away.

In my opinion, my wheels fill out the wheel wells as best as possible without major modications. The wheels needed to be 17" in order to fit a 13" rotor in the front. Im using a 12" rotor in the rear because i use 15" rims for my slicks. Our wheel wells are extremely small compared to 2000 mustangs which can fit 315s no problem. Even with 275 tires i have no traction because i have 347RWHP. My next rear tires will be 275 Nitto DRag radials.

Thanks again Paul, most people on this website freak out if the wheels arent the factory 14s with hubcaps, so thanks for being a little different like me.
David Athans

Joe

David, I like the look of your car as it is. I wouldn't change a thing. As a matter of fact it inspired me to turn my 68 coupe into a California Special. Originaly I was going to paint the car rally blue but decided on black with silver or gunmetal grey stripes. I also feel that the taillight panel should be the same color as the stripes, as is on your car.