• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 2 steps forward and 1 step back for my S Code

Canuck CSter

Well, much to my hope of putting some miles on her before the snow comes, here in ONT. I got a brake booster issue. Hissing once brake pedal applied and the rev's die out....Boooo. Anyone know of anything I can do to drive it, without a replacement or re-build of part. Safely..Resto guys says brakes will work, but no power assist. If I clamp/plug the hose. Seems scary to me.

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_143929.jpg
    IMG_20181020_143929.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20181020_161856.jpg
    IMG_20181020_161856.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
C

Canuck CSter

That was my first thought, for the cars safety and mine...lol... I just want to wash it before it goes to storage for the winter...

Last edited:

Ruppstang

You can drive it around to wash it, but remember it will take of leg to stop it with out the PB assist.

DeadStang

You can drive it around to wash it, but remember it will take of leg to stop it with out the PB assist.

True that. The booster is on it's way out in my old black Mach (not hissing but a very hard pedal) and has been for awhile [next on my list of things to address for that car]. There can be NO panic stops when your booster is bad, but your car will stop if you take it easy and drive moderately and cautiously. Just pretend you're driving a tank that takes 100 feet to stop (it's not really that bad, but be safe and avoid heavy traffic) and you'll be fine to wash it. But I tend not to use actual water to wash my old cars -- get some waterless car wash or even some detail spray at the autoparts store or Walmart and a few good microfiber cloths and wipe it all down. I will do water on the wheels and tires, but otherwise just wipe them down with (Ultra Luster) waterless car wash to keep them clean and dry. ;)

robert campbell

Talk to Scott at West Coast Classic Cougars for your brake booster assembly. They know the inside and out of all the variables of the 60's and will set you up for what works. Trust me over the counter parts at the local parts store will leave you sad!!

Rob

OP
OP
C

Canuck CSter

My guy Anthony and Doc, says Booster Duey, is the hook for re-built Boosters.......This my first day with car back on the road and my first problem. Unlucky, but I'm sure ya's all have been there. Never ordered a part from from any place, so I got lot's to learn, I guess.

CougarCJ

+2

Booster Dewey aka Power Brake Booster Exchange in Portland, Oregon.

Booster Steve is taking over.

mbsf1970

Dale,

I had brake assist go on mine while driving and ---TRUST ME--- you don't want to be out in traffic and try and brake.....you will hammer as hard as you can and you still will panic about stopping in time!!! Never mind if you require an emergency defensive stop--not gonna happen!

Stephen