CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/05/2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Firstmustang

My Garage
Engine options

Hello all,

Long story short I've taken the original engine out of my C code GT/CS. Initially because no matter how many times I flushed the radiator the fluid remained black. Once I started removing parts I realized the engine in general needs a cleaning and paint refresh as well.

My options at this point:
1) Now that the engine is out of the car what should I do next. It was rebuilt by the previous owner circa 2005 and I believe bored out .030 over (need to locate paperwork to verify). Do I do a complete rebuild, can this be done without more cylinder boring?

2) If I don't do a rebuild how do I ensure that all of the nasty rust and black is out of the engine for when I install new water pump, radiator and other new necessary components.

While the engine is out no matter which option I choose I plan on a full under hood refresh with paint on the engine and engine compartment.

Any suggestions on my next move?

Thank you.

Firstmustang
Dallas, Tx
'68 GT/CS
Firstmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2019, 02:23 PM   #2
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Google Gannon auto coolant filter. Good product.
Have you flushed the block?
Has the radiator been tested (flow, blockage)?
What are engine compression readings?
If you opt to o'haul the engine, just honing the cylinders would probably be OK, but should be checked.
If you o'haul, BE SURE to 'boil' the block to remove any trash/gook.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black CS9.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	23373  
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Firstmustang

My Garage
During the flush I followed the following process;
1) drained the radiator cold
2) filled with water and radiator cleaner
3) drove until boiling hot (temp was pegged on hot!!)
4) re-drained once cooled- fluid was black
5) repeated steps 1-4 again
6) fluid was just as black - so I decided to pull hoses and radiator and thermostat

I'm installing a new radiator, thermostat and housing, water pump, and hoses.

I have not checked compression. Any recommendations on good engine shops in Dallas Fort Worth area?

If I rebuild I'm going all in: cleaning block, re-painting etc. Previous rebuild didn't do the car justice. She ran great but looked a bit tired.

Firstmustang
Dallas, Tx
'68 GT/CS
Old 11/05/2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Firstmustang

My Garage
Pictures of my engine pre tear-down and post tear-down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_134600.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	23374   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191102_125649.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	23375  

Firstmustang
Dallas, Tx
'68 GT/CS
Old 11/06/2019, 01:05 PM   #5
BigJim

My Garage
As long as it's out I would take the block and heads to a reputable machine shop for honing and a good cleaning. While there have them checked for cracks and have new bearings and seals installed along with the valves redone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BigJim
'68 GT/CS, Presidential Blue, Numbers Matching, J-Code, C-4
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2019, 09:59 PM   #6
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstmustang View Post
Pictures of my engine pre tear-down and post tear-down.
That harmonic balancer looks pretty big for a 1968 289 engine?

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Firstmustang

My Garage
Question is if they according to the previous owner bored out the cylinders to the size equivalent of a 302 would that require a larger harmonic balancer?

Firstmustang
Dallas, Tx
'68 GT/CS
Old 11/07/2019, 03:31 PM   #8
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
The increased cubic inches from 289 to 302 is done by increasing the stroke- not the bore.
The block bores are the same in either engine.
Later model small blocks used a heavier weighted harmonic balancer & flywheel/flexplate.
What is the casting number on the block? (Remove the starter to see it.)

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2019, 11:36 PM   #9
whodat

eBay: metronash

My 289 is a 302 block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2019, 09:14 AM   #10
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
If the first rebuild was competent, I doubt that it has many miles on it and the .030 overbore "should" clean up fine. More than likely you can reuse the pistons. Have a competent shop boil out the block, and install fresh rings and bearings after the crank is inspected. Have the heads refreshed and you should be could to go. This should not kill your pocket book as much as a total rebuild. All based on how good the prior work was.

Now Rob the performance guy steps in! You could re-cam the motor and bolt on a set of Edelbrock E Street heads and go to a shorty header and pick up quite a few ponies!! Or step up to some long tube Ford Power Train Applications headers. The E street heads are only 1,000 bucks a pair assembled. It almost costs that much to redo stock heads. More power equals mo fun!!

I can step you through it! I love so spend other peoples money!!

Rob

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...view/make/ford

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/347step.htm
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2019, 02:47 PM   #11
Firstmustang

My Garage
That's great!

Part of my dilemma is deciding between the purest GT/CS and more ponies. As she sits she is pure stock (minus the after market AC) but for the most part stock. I don't want to lose the purity of the stock condition by pumping her up too much but on the other hand...it would be fun to have something more under the hood.

What is the consensus opinion on the impact on resale value by adding improvements other than stock parts? Do I lose the exclusivity of the GT/CS by adding things that could be put on any other Mustang out on the road. This is not a concourse car by any means but it is original looking (many parts have been changed to NOS parts). I rebuilt the suspension, steering, etc a few years back with NOS parts.

Thanks.

Firstmustang
Dallas, Tx
'68 GT/CS
Old 11/11/2019, 03:44 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
IMO you will not devalue your car in the least to add some ponies. Unless it is a concurs car. Modifications that are easily reversed do not de-value it and IMO enhance its value. Many cars on this site have Cobra dress kits and chrome air cleaners.

The key to more power is the heads and headers. The E Streets are fantastic and I have installed a few pairs of them already. We can build a great street engine with no loss of vacuum with perfect street characteristics. I can recommend several levels of power based on what you want to spend. All that do not require increased top RPM and will not harm your stock rotating assembly. You will notice a nice throaty sound that will be orgasmic!! But we won't get stupid and build a quality package.

I hope a couple guys on the site and weigh in on my experience on this subject. the change will surprise you. I have built many such combinations.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2019, 03:52 PM   #13
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
IMO you will not devalue your car in the least to add some ponies. Unless it is a concurs car. Modifications that are easily reversed do not de-value it and IMO enhance its value. Many cars on this site have Cobra dress kits and chrome air cleaners.

The key to more power is the heads and headers. The E Streets are fantastic and I have installed a few pairs of them already. We can build a great street engine with no loss of vacuum with perfect street characteristics. I can recommend several levels of power based on what you want to spend. All that do not require increased top RPM and will not harm your stock rotating assembly. You will notice a nice throaty sound that will be orgasmic!! But we won't get stupid and build a quality package.

I hope a couple guys on the site and weigh in on my experience on this subject. the change will surprise you. I have built many such combinations.

Rob
Rob, you crack me up.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Toy68CS

My Garage
Hey Rob. I have a set of E7TE heads off my 94 GT.
Would it be worth putting them on my CS?

Bruce Wertman
1968 Brittany Blue Mustang California Special #168021
1994 White Mustang GT Convertible.
Toy68CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2019, 07:27 PM   #15
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Firstmustang, you should make up your own mind as to YOUR vision for this car. If you like them original, (which many of us do) then keep it that way to the degree that you can. If you want a hot rod, go for it. Just remember that the GT/CS is a fairly rare car.

In the end...it's YOUR car and you should do with it as you wish.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions