• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS in Portland CL

CougarCJ

It is on the Portland Oregon Craig's List, but is listed as "Kelowna" which is in British Columbia Canada.

Probably worth a look, if anyone is close.

rvrtrash

I emailed him. Kelowna isn't that far from me, and I've been semi-looking for just the right project CS. Thanks for the post.

Steve

mbsf1970

better bring your scuba gear......map shows its at the bottom of Lake Okanagan!
I've also emailed him for deets,
Stephen

Northern Pony

If that car is in $cdn, and the add does not state $us, then you are looking at around $6500us

BoB

rvrtrash

I emailed the seller of the car. I asked for mileage, any prior body damage or rust, if any repairs had been made to suspension, steering, drivetrain, if the engine and tranny were original. I also asked if he had a Marti or any Ford documentation showing it was a true CS. Here's the answer I got back.

"driver decent car car is.a.known car since it was 2 years old from orig owner ..it is always known as a gtcs"

I followed up telling him I was interested, reasonably close, gave him my town and phone number, and asked again for documentation or the VIN, giving him a link to Marti Auto so he could see why I wanted the VIN. I wanted to get some provenance and a decent idea of condition before driving for 6 hours. Dead silence since. I think this one may prove to be a dead end for me.

Steve

Don

Definitely get a VIN before putting in that much travel time. Also very important is to understand the status of the title and if it is currently registered. If you plan to title it in the states, IMHO, research if there are fees (taxes, re-title) etc. required.

This car is intriguing since it actually looks like a decent barn find. Curious that there does not appear to be any emblems on this car and seller says older paint which makes this a bit of a mystery.

Last edited:

mbsf1970

What's the deal with titles in U.S?
In Canada, we register our cars and there is no title......is there a big cost to getting a car re-titled?
Stephen
P.s. I never go VIN from owner either

Don

What's the deal with titles in U.S?
In Canada, we register our cars and there is no title......is there a big cost to getting a car re-titled?
Stephen

In the U.S. a title is required to prove ownership. Sometimes vehicles are sold with a Bill of sale but they can not be registered for the road unless they have a title.

Sometimes it can be costly to re-title depending on where you are and amount of other traceable paperwork available. One of the bigger issues is trying to determine if the car was stolen or not. Additionally we have a thing in the states that is known as a salvage title. The most common reason for a salvage title is that an insurance company has written a wrecked car off as a total loss and they abandon the title; then if someone buys the "totaled" car, from say a wrecker, they can get a "new" title but that title will have the word "SALVAGE" on it which indicates the salvage status.

In the past folks would run a scam to flush titles in which a car with a tainted title would be shipped off to another state and then issued a new "clean" title. This practice is no longer possible because of the laws in place and the interconnectivity of DMV's and title companies. Here is a link to one of the most publicized title scams that took place: http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...oddington-cops-plea-title-fraud-investigation

Last edited: