• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headliner Installation Tricks

Mosesatm

Bill and I installed the headliner in my car this weekend and I thought that those of you who are thinking about doing the same could benefit from the binder clip trick we read about. A good way to hold the headliner in place while you are pulling it tight is with binder clips. Works great. I'm going to leave the clips in place for a week or two so the headliner will get all of its stretching over with before it gets glued in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here is a shot from the inside.

Last edited:

Sarge

Stellar Idea!
I feel that I have learned so much from this site that I took a Community College in Mustang GT/CS 101A and 101B. Keep up the good info!!!!!

I have decided to go into "semi-retirement" and move from Milpitas to Sacramento. Was it Jason or Arlie who put the factory A/C in the dash? What was the total time to do it? Being in the Folsom area, I will definately need the A/C, or it becomes a "fall/spring" vehicle.... Thanks all!
Robert

390cs68rcode

it was me. It is a Classic Auto Air perfect fit system. It connect to the heater control and has vents on each side that are not factory but look presentable. the center vent is similar to stock. Works pretty good. I had someone install it and can say as long as you are somewhat mechanical and have patience (I have zero patience) then you could install it.

I think I put some pics up in a thread, can't remember.

PFSlim

The headliner looks great. We did not even attempt this deal. Called in a professional which he zipped right in. Nice job guys. Looks like a blue interior, is that right??

Paul

miller511

What a great idea to use the clips.
I'm planning to redo the headliner as soon as the weather cools off.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2032;start=0#msg13569 date=1124316029]
The headliner looks great. We did not even attempt this deal. Called in a professional which he zipped right in. Nice job guys. Looks like a blue interior, is that right??

Paul
[/quote]

It's actually aqua. Many different shades of aqua.

nfrntau

[quote author=SPSHLGT link=board=1;threadid=2032;start=0#msg13572 date=1124316955]
What a great idea to use the clips.
I'm planning to redo the headliner as soon as the weather cools off.
[/quote]

All the articles I've looked at say to lay the headliner out in a warm spot to get flexible prior to installation. With the weather we have here in Houston that's an easy task. You might want to take advantage of the warm days while you have them.

miller511

Hey Arlie,

I have a couple of questions- Was there any trick to removing the chrome pieces around the front windshield? (and rear for that matter?)

My concern is that the chrome pieces might get bent when removing them from the rubber. Any special tools required?

And, is re-installation of the chrome a straight forward process?

-Jeff

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=SPSHLGT link=board=1;threadid=2032;start=0#msg14020 date=1125352695]
Hey Arlie,

I have a couple of questions- Was there any trick to removing the chrome pieces around the front windshield? (and rear for that matter?)

My concern is that the chrome pieces might get bent when removing them from the rubber. Any special tools required?

And, is re-installation of the chrome a straight forward process?

-Jeff
[/quote]

There is a special tool for removing the trim. If the trim has never been removed you are in for quite a battle. It's difficult to find the clips through the 40 years of dirt that accumulates around them.

Last edited: