• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2008 Carlisle All Ford Nationals Wrapup and Pictures

BroadwayBlue

Hi Everyone!
Sorry it took awhile but here is my report from Carlisle with plenty of photos of the event.

Day 1 – Thursday 6/5

Of course my trip couldn’t start out smooth. Otherwise there would be no story to tell. J

Our plan was that my Sister, Brother-in-law (aka my mechanic J) and my nephew would get on the road early with their camper. My other nephew and I planned to drive out with my CS and his 07 GT around 8:30am.

I went to stop at Dunkin Donuts to get some fuel for the ride but they were too busy so figured I’d stop on the way. So I went to pull out of the parking lot and noticed a puff of dust or smoke from under my car. Then I noticed a burning order. Mmmmm … maybe I should go back home and check things out. I get to my driveway, go to pull in and the car starts smoking again. It seemed to be coming from under the firewall. I’m thinking maybe transmission? Called my brother-in-law (Again my mechanic – he’s got the knowledge I’m still learning the technical stuff). Started trying to figure out what was going on.

Tried turning the steering wheel and more and more smoke and then flames! Uh-oh!! Ended up that my power steering hose was the culprit and was spraying PS fluid all over the manifolds when I turned. Hence the smoke!

The race was on!! We found a parts store that could get the hose to their store by 10:30am. My nephew and I were there at 10:30 on the dot and waited about 5 minutes for the delivery truck. Picked up a few quarts of PS fluid and we were on our way back home.

With my brother-in-law walking us through the steps on the phone we were able to change the hose and make the car roadworthy again! We got a late start but we still made the 3:30-4 hour trip to Carlisle with no further problems.

Day 2 – Friday 6/6

We headed out early in the morning to CJ Pony Parts to join the Pony Trail drive hosted by Mustang Monthly. The weather was a misty and gray but was pleased with the turnout when we got there. I’m not sure of the number but I’m guessing close to 100 cars were there. The weather ended up clearing up shortly after we got on the road.

The course was a bit rough with too many lights in my opinion and too much construction including a closed road for a detour. But we all made it through to the AACA Hershey Museum. The feature exhibitions this year were Fins, Milk Trucks and Motorcycles. There are a number of pictures in a photo album on my photo site (see below). Shortly after that most people headed back to Carlisle.

At the cruise I got to meet GT/CS owner Dave Spencer (RacingFan) from Woodstock, VA who was doing the drive in his Acapulco Blue CS with hood tach. Joining him was his son and his friend with a 67 Convertible that is a tribute to the CS/HCS with a rear panel and scoops. Both nice looking cars. (I apologize I forgot Dave’s friend’s name, I think it was Bob or Bill. He was kind enough to take pictures of a group of us at the show on Saturday)

I spotted a Highland Green CS with a white vinyl roof with a NY custom plate “GT CS”. The owner didn’t return before the cruise started so didn’t get to meet him that day. I did catch up with him (Dan Mayes) at Carlisle though.

While at the museum, the car behind me in the cruise let me know my brake lights weren’t working. Ugh … now what? They were working the day before. So we headed back to where we were staying and tested out the wiring. We were prepared with tools, test lights etc … Seems the problem was a loose brake switch. Not sure what caused it but it’s been OK since.

We cleaned up the cars and finally got them to the show field by 6pm to leave them overnight for the next morning.

The one “part” I really needed was an air cleaner decal. NPD listed the wrong decal (black and white checkered) for 68 in their catalog last year. I realized it a few weeks ago when I went to put it on.

While at the Mustangs Unlimited show I checked there and they were out of stock. I checked CJ Pony Parts before the drive and they were out of stock. How hard could it be to find this one decal? Apparently harder than I thought!

to be continued...

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Part 2

Day 3 – Saturday 6/7 – Show Day

It was time for the fun to begin!! There was no rain in Carlisle for the All-Ford Nationals this year, which is a common occurrence. Instead there were record breaking temperatures and humidity!! We had temps in the high 90’s close to 100 and humidity to match! It was unbelievably hot but we made the best of it. Luckily I brought my EZ-Up canopy for some shade and we were luckily near a building that helped with some shade.

The turnout of CS and HCS cars was more than expected!! I had told Carlisle that we only expected about 10 cars based on people that contacted me and the spot they gave us would have been great for at least 12. We had more than that though. There were more cars that registered in the Special class (GT/CS and HCS (all years)) then people that contacted me and some that said they didn’t plan to park in the class did. There were people that I never contacted that had registered as well. When they registered their car they were informed of the class and registered there.

It was great that we had that kind of turnout of both old and new cars but unfortunately some cars had to park on other parts of the showfield. We juggled and shifted cars all we could but at one point we finally ran out of room. We even asked a vendor to move his van for us which he did.

I’m going to contact Carlisle to see if they will consider a class again next year based on our turnout and also have 2 classes. One for original CS and HCS cars and one for the late model CS’s.

Everyone was busy doing last minute detailing on their cars but we also talked in between waxing and glass cleaning. There was so much to see and do many people headed off so unfortunately I didn’t get to meet everyone and talk with all the owners but did meet most. I also met a number of owners that were selling their cars. I recommended they post their information here on the site. Some have already.

While getting Casey an autograph from Al Joniec, in the Cobra Jet Reunion section I got to meet Bob Teets and see his 428 CJ HCS.

Bob’s car was featured on the Cobra Jet Reunion banners that were hanging up. I have a picture of one of them, I’m sure you’ll spot it. Bob didn’t even realize it until I told him. I hope he was able to get one of them from the show.

I’m sure I’m going to miss someone or get someone’s name wrong so let me apologize in advance. I thought I would remember them all but I guess in all the excitement of everything going on some have slipped my mind. I should have written them down like Tom told me too but I didn’t listen.

If I missed someone or got a name wrong please let me know!!

Here are the owners that I met:
Tom Elledge from PA (hcsstang – Red 68 HCS)

Richard Reina from NJ (deestix - Lime Gold 390 68 CS originally from Hawaii

Dave Spencer from VA (RacingFan – Acapulco Blue 68 CS with hood tach)

Keith and Vicki Owens from PA (Meadowlark Yellow 68 CS – also own an 07 GT/CS)

Bob Teets from CO (hicountrybob – Red 68 428CJ HCS)

Nancy and Bruce Philipp from NJ (ladystang – Red 07 Convertible)

Joan Achenbach and her son Mark from PA (Red 68 CS and Red 68 CS gas powered Kiddie Car)

Jen and her husband from PA (jenstang – Blue 07 Convertible) He’s a Corvette guy but Jen is working on him I’m sure ;)

Skip Derosier (Quarterhorse – Blue 07 Convertible)

Rick and his son from VA (rdysart – they didn’t have their cars but own a 66 and 68 HCS I believe)

Dan Mayes from NY (Highland Green 68 CS with white vinyl top)

Sid (from PA) and his son Rob (from DC) (redgtcsrob – selling their Maroon 68 CS with black vinyl top – also owns another CS – the maroon car is in the classifieds section and I have pictures)

Jim (from MD) who didn’t have his cars with him but was selling one of his 68 CS and owned another as well – told him of the site and to post his info here.

There was another gentleman that owned a CS as well but didn’t get his name. Tried to tell him about the site as well, hopefully he will drop by.

I also met a gentleman from Ontario that was there with his son in their black late model CS. I think his name was Dale or Dave. He just had a light bar installed on his car at CJ Pony Parts Friday morning.

There were other CS cars as well, mostly late models, that I either didn’t get a chance to meet the owners or had to park on other parts of the showfield.

Of course I was there with my Acapulco Blue 68 CS as well.
I’m sure I missed someone so please forgive me and PM me or post an update on this thread. Thanks!

The turnout was great and it was a pleasure to meet all the owners. All of the cars were in great condition despite what some of their owners said! J

A big thanks to Tom Elledge (hcsstang) for putting me in touch with a number of owners that don’t frequent the site.

Despite the weather being triple H (Hazy, Hot and Humid) it turned out to be a great day. It seemed like everyone I talked with genuinely enjoyed the chance to meet other owners, share stories and checkout each other’s cars. It was a busy day with lots of cars to see, vendors and voting for your favorites so it’s understandable that it was difficult to talk with and meet everyone in that type of setting but we made the best of it. Most people seemed like they want to do it again next year. Maybe Carlisle will be a regular reunion spot for CS and HCS owners in the Northeast.

In my pictures you’ll see almost all the CS and HCS cars plus a small group of us too. Not to mention plenty of pictures of non CS and HCS cars. Yes there were some other cars there as well! LOL!

I searched all day for the air cleaner decal again with no luck. Anyone I found carrying decals was out of that one! Ugh!

Day 4 – 6/8

The final day the winners were posted. Congratulations to the owners that won awards in the first CS/HCS class at Carlisle.

1st: Nancy Philipp (Ladystang) – 07 Red Convertible
2nd: Skip Derosier (Quarterhorse) – 07 Blue Convertible
3rd: Wayne Hare – 07 GT/CS

Remember the air cleaner decals I mentioned above?
I was getting ready to leave and my nephew and I had our cars started and ready to go. I called Tom on his cell so I could say goodbye as he wasn’t by the cars. He said he’d be right up. As I’m saying goodbye to him and Bob he mentioned he just walked down to the Jim Osborn trailer with Keith and Vicki so they could get a correct air cleaner decal, they had the black and white checkered one. I said what did you say? Who is here? He said Jim Osborn’s trailer is right behind where we were parked about 2 rows over.
I couldn’t believe it. I never went down the aisle they were in I guess and never saw them there. I told Bob and Tom I’d be right back. Shut down the cars and ran over to the trailer and sure enough there they were and had plenty in stock!!! If I hadn’t called Tom to say goodbye I wouldn’t have known they were there. So my weekend ended up even better after finally finding my decal!

I said my goodbyes to everyone and hit the road trying to beat the heat and get past the Pocono’s before the NASCAR race let out.

I expected to see a few Mustangs on the way home but only saw a few hot rods.

We hit a few spots of rain as you’ll see in the pics and some
sun too.

I reached my exit 3 ½ to 4 hours later and there are 6 Mustangs driving along getting off the exit right behind me. They ended up following me right to the gas station for a refuel. I asked them how long there drive was and they said it would be about 8 hours total from Carlisle to southern New Hampshire.

They asked me how much further I had to go … I told them about 2 miles! J They were jealous that’s for sure. I have pictures of us all at the station as well.

I really enjoyed the chance to meet other owners and put faces with names finally!

This gathering had more 68 CS and HCS cars then I have seen at one time plus all the late models.

I know a number of people have posted words of thanks but I really didn’t do much other then send some emails and make a few calls.

I’m happy that everyone enjoyed themselves for this gathering and first time having a class at Carlisle. I hope that the attendance we had this year will help me make a case for them to do it again next year and subsequent years. I believe it will be difficult for Carlisle to not recognize the GT/CS and HCS, both old and new in the future!

I hope everyone had a safe ride home!

P.S. A few of you asked me about having some of Paul’s decals. Unfortunately the printer wasn’t able to get them to him in time. Please contact him directly to purchase them.

To be continued...

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Pictures Links

Here are the pictures with captions to explain them the best I could. The slideshow option will display the captions which explain most of the pictures.

Instead of creating just one big gallery, I created a few smaller ones as well.

I recommend the Slideshow links, the captions are easier to read showing who is in a picture, which car belongs to who, etc…

Carlisle (GT/CS and HCS pictures) – these are GT/CS and HCS specific pictures from all the albums below. I thought some people might want to just focus on the Specials so I created this gallery.
This gallery has everyone’s name and their cars in the captions – the large gallery doesn’t

This also includes pictures of the winner's cars

Slideshow: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5136136&AlbumKey=9DVfa

Gallery: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/5136136_9DVfa/1/310427648_BcMDf

===================================
Pony Trails

Slideshow: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5136347&AlbumKey=6tonV

Gallery: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/5136347_6tonV/1/310437769_Kte3Z

=============================

AACA Museum
Slideshow: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5136829&AlbumKey=AvJAw

Gallery: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/5136829_AvJAw/1/310481439_4k9PC

============================

Carlisle (all days – all pictures)

Slideshow: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5136428&AlbumKey=wcWQp

Gallery: http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/5136428_wcWQp/1/310466637_jWuRF

==================================
My smugmug site with all of my galleries is http://ponyrides.smugmug.com

Last edited:

case12

Thanks for all the pictures. I really enjoyed the slide show. Lots of great cars - I imagine it was hard to take it all in! Love the cobra jet reunion cars too! Thanks for sharing. Casey

GTCS07

Great post and pictures! I've talked to alot of people that were there and everyone said it was too hot but they all had a good time regardless. wish I didn't have to work every Sunday so I could go.

QuarterHorse

Rich:

Thanks for posting the photos and, once again, thanks for calling Carlisle and getting them to add the class. As little as you think you did, you should be recognized for putting forth the effort.

I did Pony trails last year and enjoyed being there. However, that drive was just too long for me and I decided not to do it this year. I'm glad I can say I did it once.

BTW.....congrats n finally finding your air cleaner decal :thumb:

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rich:

Thanks for posting the photos and, once again, thanks for calling Carlisle and getting them to add the class. As little as you think you did, you should be recognized for putting forth the effort.

I did Pony trails last year and enjoyed being there. However, that drive was just too long for me and I decided not to do it this year. I'm glad I can say I did it once.

BTW.....congrats n finally finding your air cleaner decal :thumb:

Thanks Skip I appreciate it!

They need a new course for the Pony Trails. They did the same route in reverse this year from talking to people. The people that have done it in the past feel they should change it too. My brother-in-law saw Donald Farr (editor of Mustang Monthly) at Carlisle on Sunday and said something to him about the course. He agreed it was not the best of routes - especially the construction and detours.
Not sure if I'll do it next year or not.

Yes I'm happy about my air cleaner decal ... wow somebody actually read those long posts!! :grin:

Thanks again and congrats!!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thanks for all the pictures. I really enjoyed the slide show. Lots of great cars - I imagine it was hard to take it all in! Love the cobra jet reunion cars too! Thanks for sharing. Casey

Thanks Casey!

The toughest part was the heat. If it wasn't for the weather I probably would have been able to see more cars.

Hope you can make it next year!

Thanks to you too GTCS07 - hope you can make the trip next year too!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I knew there were a lot of Mustangs there but didn't realize the number was over 1,000!
Here is a press release from Carlisle...

Fords Stampede Carlisle at the World’s Largest All-Ford Gathering

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
CARLISLE, PA – During the weekend of June 6th-8th the world’s largest all-Ford event once again gave its true blue fans an unmatched gathering of spectacular cars and displays. Despite a heat wave that brought with it record temperatures and humidity to the east coast, blue oval enthusiasts came out en masse to the Carlisle Fairgrounds in Carlisle, PA to take in the best from Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.

If you have never been to a car show at the Carlisle Fairgrounds then you cannot imagine what it is like to look across a sea of over 2,000 specialty and collector cars and trucks from personal collections from all around the country. And if you’ve never been to the All-Ford Nationals at the Carlisle Fairgrounds, you don’t know what it is like to look across a sea of over 1,000 Mustangs. At first glance you might think the All-Ford Nationals was the All-Mustang nationals because the first half of the showfield looks like a pony corral. It wasn’t all about the Mustangs though as the weekend hosted new, classic and antique cars and trucks from Ford Motor Company. A few that really stood out were the original Ford Model Ts, an official U.S. Secret Service Crown Victoria and the modified Ford Focuses. There truly was something for everyone.

In addition to the huge showfield, swap meet and car corral, Ford fans were treated to a number of special gatherings of noteworthy vehicles. The Invitational Display included some outstanding examples of privately owned beauties. The SVT Owners Association celebrated their 15th anniversary with a special display of high performance Fords engineered by the Special Vehicles Team. But the belle of this Ford ball had to be the Cobra Jet reunion including a number of 135 lightweight drag cars. Drag racing legends Al Joniec, Sam Auxier Jr., Phil Bonner, Barrie Poole and Vince Liska accompanied these princesses from the past and were on hand to talk about the specialty Fords on display, meet with fans and tell stories about the glory days of drag racing.

Ford Motor Company is always well represented at the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals and this year Ford came with a stronger presence than ever before. Ford Motor Company took the "Drive One" primary brand campaign to the 40,000 plus attendees at this year’s All-Ford Nationals event. Ford utilized the Carlisle Expo Center where they organized a full-line Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicle display including over 20 vehicles from its current line-up and five specialty Mustangs and concept cars (including the Shelby GR1, GT500KR and KITT from "Knight Rider"). There were also audio-visual aids informing visitors of its current progress on what Ford is doing to maintain and advance its GREEN, SAFE, SMART and QUALITY initiatives. Ford enlisted Jon Runyan, offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles, to sign autographs, and Funkmaster Flex, custom car builder and Radio DJ, to show off six vehicles from his Ford collection.

Other highlights of the weekend included the burnout competition, Friday drag racing at the Quarter Aces Drag-O-Way, a rock crawling demonstration, the Women’s Oasis and Kids at Carlisle, seminars, test drives and more. One lucky attendee even drove off in a 1995 Ford Mustang GT Convertible as the winner of the annual All-Ford Nationals Giveaway!