• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Drum Brake Backing Plate Part Number

GTCSMustang

Can someone please tell me what the correct part number is on the rear drum brake backing plate. It is visible from the back (don't have to remove the drum) as you lay under the car. There should be a different number on each side.

I assume they are 10x1.75 in size. Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

rvrtrash

My backing pads don't have a "regular" Ford number on them, but here's what I have for you. In addition to the cursive "Ford" logo, one is stamped 70861, oriented from side to side near the center and below it and upside down is KH.
The other is stamped 61-R, oriented from outside to inside near the center and above it in the same orientation is IX. There may be more to the numbers because I bead blasted and painted the backing plates so part may have disappeared and some of the stampings look kind of weakly hit anyway. My Ford Master Parts List shows the same backing plate was used on 65-69 Mustangs, Fairlanes and Falcons. Hope this helps.

Steve

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

Thanks Steve,

I have some that are stamped "KH" and 70866 on one and 70867 on the other. I am trying to figure out what they are correct for.

Scott

rvrtrash

On the one stamped 70861, I debated for a while if the 1 was a 1 or a 7, so you may have the right one and it makes sense that the opposite side would be one digit off. You might have what you need in your hot little hands.

Steve