• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Paint code and ID

nfrntau

I'll be taking my car to the stripper this weekend, will let y'all know how it goes. He tells me he will have the car about a month.
I'm starting to do the research on the correct paint codes for the interior and exterior of my car.
Alcapulco Blue exterior and Standard Black interior.
Can anyone recommend a good book, web source or send me a pdf that has the correct colors/finishes/tags etc. for all the parts big and small? Fender bolts, sway bars, brake drums backing plates, etc. I would also like to know what color I should paint the bottom and if I should consider undercoating or not?
I looked at the MCA site but didn't find anything other than a recommendation on a book.
Even though I am not going 100%, I still want to be able to easily convert back without having to restore my restoration.
Thanks
Bill

Mosesatm

Bill, I stumbled across an amazing Shelby restoration site the other day. It showed exactly how much of the underside of the car should have color on it and how much should have primer, etc. I'll see if I can find it again this evening and send you the link.

Russ

Bill,
The MCA publishes their Judging Guidelines, and this book, which you can download from the MCA site, has all the answers to your questions. There are a few things where San Jose cars differ from Dearborn and Muetchen cars but these differences are few.

One difference is the front shock mount, mounted with three nuts on the shoch tower, must be shiny black on San Jose cars, not the phosphate color found on Mustangs from the other plants.

The Judging Guidelines helped me restore my cars and I have found it is a very valuable tool. Good Luck on your restoration, and if you get into the paint daubs, paint inspector stamps and paint crayon markings, let me know....I'll help you with this too.

Russ

Goo

Mosesatm

Here is the link to the '68 Shelby restoration site. It shows exactly how to paint the undercarriage, assuming Mustangs and Shelbys were painted the same. They may not have been, I don't know.

http://www.1968cobra.com/PAINT.HTML

Most of you probably already know about Tom Schmidt's Link to Mustang Sites but for those of you who don't here is that link.

http://links.vintage-mustang.com/

If you scroll down the left side of the page you will see various catagories of links.

Russ

I would be careful copying the undercarriage of a 1968 Shelby as all Shelbys were built in the Muetchen plant, while our CS's were built in San Jose. While they are similar, there are some subtle differences.

Russ

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Russ,
I tried to find the guidelines but was unable. I expect you must be an MCA member to be able to do so.
How subtle are the subtle differences?
When looking at my car it doesn't look like the underside was ever painted blue.

GTCSMustang

The pinch weld should be blacked-out below the rocker molding and on the rear quarter behind the wheel. You will normally see the red oxide primer, car color overspray (like in the website picture of the Shelby), and black pinch weld overspray on the bottom of the car. I've heard that the pinch weld was only blacked out on light colored cars...but don't know if that's true or not. Russ...did you black yours out?

Scott

Russ

The underside of the unibody should be a "pink-red" colored primer with drips all over the bottom of the car. Overspray, the color of the body, should be evident on the underside of the body where the spray gun would have sprayed the rocker panels. On dark colored cars, the pinch weld could be black, but not always, while all light colored cars had the pinch weld, the torque boxes and fender wells painted black. Fender wells were also undercoated with black undercoating.

On San Jose cars, the front suspension, in many cases, was left unpainted. This means the upper "A" arms, the coil springs, the lower control arms and all steering components were "natural", unpainted steel. Yellow and green paint daubs identified right and left components. The front stabilizer bar was painted satin black with a blue daub for 289 standard suspension and a green daub for a small block "GT" suspension option. Coil springs have paint daubs running the lenght of the spring and have different color combinations, depending upon the options on the car. Shocks are painted black,and a 289 car has a bright red paint daub on the shock.

The rear springs are also "natural", unpainted steel, and the rear spring shackles are also unpainted. The driveshaft is unpainted and included two paint stripes around the diameter of the shaft to indicate the application. There was some black undercoating applied where the safety belt mountings were located. This undercoating was sprayed directly over the red primer.

As an MCA member, you have free access to the Judging Guidelines, and these guidelines can be downloaded. The only problem is that they are 146 pages long, and they include all cars that MCA judges. Another excellent resource are the Ford Assembly Manuals reprinted by Jim Osborne. These manuals can be purchased by NPD and are reasonably priced. Hope this helps.

Russ

PS: One of our site members asked me to photograph the decal placement, paint daubs, crayon markings and details of the undercarriage of my car, which I did for him. I just emailed about thirty photos to him, and if anyone would like a copy of these photos, just let me know.

rjw

Great info, Russ! Sounds like good info for Paul's book!
Richard

bish

Pictures are very detailed, beautiful car!
Thanks Russ!

Sarge

Russ,
Could you please forward that info and pics to me as well? Don't know that I will ever actually do a full MCA resto, but the information sounds too good to pass up.
Thanks, Robert ;D

Russ

[quote author=Sarge link=board=1;threadid=1429;start=0#msg8325 date=1109486021]
Russ,
Could you please forward that info and pics to me as well? Don't know that I will ever actually do a full MCA resto, but the information sounds too good to pass up.
Thanks, Robert ;D
[/quote]

Robert, Would be happy to send photos, but your email is not accepting my messages. What is your current email address? Russ

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Russ,
Just got back from Arlington today.
Thanks for the photos. They show a lot of detail regarding the parts I was asking about.
Cheers