• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Installing seatbelts

Mustanglvr

Some friends of mine installed new carpeting in my GT/CS last summer and did`nt bother to reinstall the seatbelts. Is there anything I need to know before attemping the installation myself? I haven`t gotten a good look at it yet so, will I have to cut holes in the carpet or have to pull the carpet? Are the bolts in the floor or on the seat brackets? I looked over the past posts on the site but could`nt find what I need to know. Thanks in advance, Rhonda

rvrtrash

If you remove the door sill plates, and move the carpet back a little at the edge you can see the threaded bolt holes for the outer belts. Carefully cut a small round hole in the carpet that lines up with this hole. Next, get under the car and look for the inner bolt holes. They will line up with the location of the outer holes and be at the edge of the tranny tunnel. Push a small awl through the hole, just far enough to go through the carpet, then go inside the car and cut a small hole in the carpet where the awl is pushing through. Go slow and you should be ok.
Steve

PB gtcs

For what its worth, if you can do it without actually cutting the carpet, it is better. This may sound like a play on words, but here is how I saw the professional interior installer do it on our car. He had this great big pair of siccors (sp). He "poked" a hole in the carpet in the correct place. NID Steve has he correct procedure for finding the holes. The reason for not cutting is that the carpet can become frayed where there is a cut. The guy said poking will mostly just move the fibers around. This is especially true where you will need to put in small screws for the sill plates. I cut a hole when I did our 68 Fbird convert. Put in the screws, the carpet wound up on the screw. Got worried there for a second that all the carpet would end up on the screw. So, poke if you can, it will give you a better opportunity to keep the carpet looking smooth. My 2 cents worth.

Brian