• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

My new 68 GT/CS

jc68gtcs

Hi all, just bought my first mustang ever. Probably shouldn't say this, but I've been a chevy guy for about 30 years.

I'm new to this site, and I tend to ramble so if you're not in the mood for a story, you should probably click away.

Anyway, I went down to the Indy 500 a couple of years ago and I ran into a friend of the family who had this awesome car in his garage (cover on, sitting next to a nice porche). I said hey Jim, whatcha got under the cover? He pulled back the original car cover and there it was, the strangest looking mustang this ol chevy guy's ever seen. A Seafoam Green GT/CS. Wow!! I was impressed.. this thing was a clean blackplate California Special. So we went for a ride, and then I was really impressed. What a runner.. I remember going home after the 500 and joined my buddy's in a poker game later that month and I was telling them that I got to ride in the coolest car while I was in Indy.. Two of them work for Ford Motor Co. here in the Detroit area so needless to say, I had their attention.
So nearly two years go by and I'm heading out to California last month, so I emailed my cousin who lives out there and told him to find me a few 69 Camaro's to look at while I'm out there because I'm looking for an investment car. He calls me back a couple of hours later and says hey, Jimmy's selling that Mustang of his.. I knew that day that I had to have that car... To make a semi-long story short, the car was put in a semi and delivered to my house the following week. So yeah, I'm pretty geeked about owning this old ford. It does sit in the garage next to the classic vette (getting a little neglected as of late).

So here's the scoop, I'll attempt to attach pics as well:

1968 GT/CS
Seafoam Green
302 4V
4 Speed
Air Conditioning
Wooden Steering Wheel (way cool)
Lucas Fog Lights
48111 Original Miles (Indy Title says so and I tend to believe it)
Original Black Plates still on the car

As far as I can tell, the car is original and spent all but the last 2 years in California. Since then it's been in a garage in Indianapolis.

The guy I bought it from claims that the 302 is a "Top Load" motor. I'm thinking that this is a Ford term and I'm sure that it must have something to do with the way this thing runs.. Sounds like it's got a cam and a set of flowmasters but I really think that it may be stock.. Can anyone help me out on what this 302 is really made up of.???

Sorry for the Novel,

jc68gtcs

Attachments

• HPIM0399-2.JPG
    HPIM0399-2.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 14

Mustanglvr

:)You have a nice looking car there. Is it authentic? Have you got a Marti report on it yet? That will tell you if it is. Get us some more pics of it and you will get some great professional opinions from this site. These guys can tell you anything you need to know about it. Congratulations on your purchase. You won`t regret owning a GT/CS I can assure you. Rhonda

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

Thanks Rhonda, I posted some pics to the Gallery but not sure how long that takes to show up. I did order the History 999 report from Ford Motor the other day but haven't done a Marti yet.

bish

The term "top loader" is refering to your 4 speed trans.
You have the upgraded small block motor offered in 68.
Sounds like a great car, I can't wait to see it this summer.

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

another photo.. sure wish that I knew how to add more than just one at a time..

Attachments

• HPIM0407-2.JPG
    HPIM0407-2.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

another pic

Attachments

• HPIM0411-2.JPG
    HPIM0411-2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 12

rvrtrash

I would order the Marti report, in fact I did for mine. I got the 999 report first and it didn't even mention the car was a CS. To prove it's original (if that matters to you) the Marti report is the accepted authority. You can link to it off this site. Welcome to the group.
Steve

bish

Your car has a smog set up. Very rare to see that on a car after all this time!

390cs68rcode

[quote author=bish link=board=1;threadid=1496;start=0#msg8854 date=1111670162]
Your car has a smog set up. Very rare to see that on a car after all this time!
[/quote]

beat me to it. cool seeing the smog stuff.

PB gtcs

Congrads on the purchase. And welcome to the community. If we can be of any help, please let us know. We can not tell you for sure it is a CS, but we can tell you for sure if it is not. Just have a look at the VIN number. It MUST start 8R, then I think the next two digits should be 01 and then J.

If that is correct, you have a J code (302 4v) car made in San Jose. If the R is not in the second position, it is not a GT/CS. All GT/CS cars were made in San Jose (R) plant.

The top loader is the 4 spd. It is stronger than horse radish. Since it is a small block, it will be small input shaft, but those will hold over 450 hp ( I know as I have one in a AC Cobra at 460 hp and 525 TQ).

On the driver's door should be a data plate. If you give the group the numbers off the data plate, someone here can decode the car for you and tell you some of the options the car was built around including the original trans and rear end.

Long story, perhaps more than you wanted to hear, but it looks like a real nice car. Enjoy ;D

Mustanglvr

Don`t worry jc68gtcs, we post our vin numbers on this site all the time. Rhonda

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

Thanks for the info PB. Yeah it definately is a San Jose car, I decoded the vin and the door tag prior to purchase. It's an 8R01 J Code with a DSO of LA. I assume that's why it may have the smog stuff on it, but not sure. I dont have all the numbers handy, but I'll get em out soon..

thanks again.

coloradoHCS

Welcome, nice original! I too have an old Vette having spent most of my years in the Chevy family. Whenever someones walks into my gararge they always start with "cool Vette" then turn and say"WHAT IS THAT?" From then on it's all about the Mustang. I am always surprised how many people do not know about these cars. Another one finds its way to Michigan, huh Bish?

bish

[quote author=jc68gtcs link=board=1;threadid=1496;start=15#msg9095 date=1112064758]
So what year is your vette there Colorado..?
[/quote]

The real question for him is which Corvette! ;D

Mark,

Yes, another one to the Motor city area.
Looks like a real winner!

Also to answer another question, I think all California cars were to have smog in 68.

Mosesatm

California Smog Controls

I've got a little story to tell you about California and their %$#^ smog controls.

In 1988 I moved to California and tried to get my GT/CS licensed there. It passed the tail pipe test but failed on the visual inspection. It seems I had to have the smog pump and all the associated plumbing. But there is a catch. A huge catch. The official smog nazi told me that only manual transmission cars need the smog equipment. Automatics don't need it. I had 3 choices. 1. Install the smog equipment. 2. Install an automatic transmission. 3. Pay a guy under the table to certify the car. I chose option 4 and sold the car.

The moral of the story is that there may not be a simple answer when it comes to California's smog laws. but from my experience I think only manual transmision cars were required to have the ugly horsepower-robbing smog pumps.

coloradoHCS

jc68gtcs, I have two. A 1973 big block coupe with the LS4 and a Doug Nash 5 speed. The other is a 1965 Sting Ray convertible numbers matching, but I pulled the original 327 out and rebuilt it and put it away for safe keeping. I replaced it with a 355 HP ZZ4. I am actually thinking of selling the 1973 to help fund the purchase of the new Shelby or a 2007??? GTCS.

Hey Bish, hows the Shelby doing?

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

Colorado, the vette's sound too cool. Mine's just a lowly (or should I say slowly) 'ol 80, but it is one of 4000 or so from 80 that had a 4 speed. Picked her up in Tucson, hadn't been driven for 3 years. I flew out there, changed the oil and 35 hours later I was back with it here in the motor city. That was about 8 years ago.. She's a sweet little summertime driver..
What are you going to be looking to get for the '73 ?