• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mystery Ladder bars

P

PNewitt

Back in '75, when I first had my CS, some guy at a gas station in Sacramento had a candyapple red GT/CS, with these unique traction bars underneath the rear axle, that had about 5-6 holes in them.

When he'd punch it, the car would lift up about 3 inches--like the '55 Chevy in Am. Graffitti.

I was told that you could run bolts through the holes to lock up the bars, so they wouldn't hop up like that.

Has anyone seen these--and know who made them. I think they are also called 'scissor bars"?? They were pretty intimidating on the street. A big "whoa" effect with fat smokin' rear tires, too.

(that kind of smokin' tires that Hook likes)

Paul N.

hookedtrout

Never heard of scissor bars, ladder and traction bars are about the only type I've seen.

Keepin the smoke to a minimum as the tires are too expensive to replace, sure is fun though.

Hook

rvrtrash

Hey Paul, I've never heard of scissor bars either. It might have been a local creation that never caught on. If you want to make the car lift up though, drag racers use shocks for the front that are made to lift up with no resistance for better weight transfer to the back and then act normally coming down. You could probably find one that would work on the back as well. Summit Racing or Jegs probably has them, although I haven't looked.
Steve

davidathans

My setup is CalTracs Traction bars (these are very good bars) and Carrera 90-10 front shocks and softer front springs....i cant pull wheelies, but my car is a small block with an automatic. The setup hurts my friends necks after about 15 minutes in the car :)

CJ

Paul; I don't know if you did a search on the internet re the ladder bars or not. I did a Google search and found all kinds of sites and pic's about ladder bars. I too remember those traction bars when I use to be a regular at Irwindale and Lions Drag strip.

Claude

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Claude, for looking for that.

These bars were three stacked together (at each side), and the middle one would "scissor" down at the front part when the car took off.

I'll get a look on the 'net.

Paul N.