• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Standard interior floor console

cgable5150

Could somebody tell me if there is a difference between a standard interior and deluxe interior floor console?
Thanks,
Chris

68sunlitgold

cgable5150,
all floor consoles are the same in '68 except for the difference in the part under the dash if you had A/C (it was shorter). Other than that, there is no deluxe floor console.

Doug

OP
OP
C

cgable5150

Thanks Doug. I appreciate the info. I have a factory auto and a/c car with black interior. Is there a way I can tell the short console from the tall? My car is missing the console and I am looking for one on eBay. People list auto or manual but I don't usually see a/c or non a/c in the listings.
Thanks for any assistance!
Chris

Restore

In 68 (or 67) there are no short console all foor consoles are the same size. In 64 to 66 AC consoles were shorter with a chrome cap. Factory AC was in dash from 67 on. Under dash units were dealer installed or aftermarket, and there was no console change for AC.
The only option in consoles were for the convienence warning lights (in console for AC cars) and the color key option were if you had the vinyl colored key shifter handle (automatic) the metal insert in the console was painted the same color as the interior, this maybe the deluxe you are talking about.

Restore

Forgot to mention the the color key option was part of interior Decor group (manual shifter were woodgrain)

mmarsalone

The front edge (under the dash) of a 67' or 68' AC console will be cut vertical to accomodate the AC style heater plenum in factory AC cars. Non AC console will slope up on the front. I hope this is clear, start watching the front edge of consoles listed on Ebay and you'll see the difference.

Mike

68sunlitgold

Chris,
Mike answered the question on the size of the console, when I get home I will post pictures of both the long (no A/C) and short (with A/C) consoles. Once installed you really would not notice the difference, the reason for the shorter console is the A/C unit and floor duct takes up space behind the console, so they shorted the end that goes under the dash.

Doug

C160223

[quote author=Restore link=board=1;threadid=1625;start=0#msg9854 date=1114570981]
In 68 (or 67) there are no short console all foor consoles are the same size. In 64 to 66 AC consoles were shorter with a chrome cap. [/quote]

Actually you could of had a short console for 67/68. It was only a dealer option. If you had a dealer install a underdash hang-on AC unit for a 67/68 console equipped car, the dealer would cut the console and install a chrome cap like the 65/66. Bob Perkins was selling a chrome console cap for 67/68 Mustang a while back on ebay, I saved the picture somewhere, If I find it, I will post it

C160223

found the pics for the 67/68 short console

Attachments

• C7ZZ-65044E34-A__01.jpg
    C7ZZ-65044E34-A__01.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 16

68sunlitgold

Chris,
here is the "short" console used when you had A/C.

Doug

Attachments

• console3a.jpg
    console3a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 14

68sunlitgold

Chris,
here is the "long" console, you will notice how the ends are much longer that go under the dash.

Doug

Attachments

• 72_12_sb.jpg
    72_12_sb.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 16

68sunlitgold

John,
I had heard of the "short" console end caps for 67/68 but had never seen one, great photos!!

Doug

OP
OP
C

cgable5150

WOW!!! :eek:
You guys are awesome! Thank you very much for all the great info. This makes my research a breeze. In fact, I think I found the perfect console, I am going to look at it today.
Two days until I pick up my new GT/CS. I can't wait!! ;D
Thanks again,
Chris