• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Holes in Hoods

Mosesatm

Saw a GT/CS the other day that had smaller holes drilled in the hood than I'm used to seeing. The lower holes were around 1" diameter. Were the bottom holes on some factory cars drilled that way or were they all 3" or so?

P

PNewitt

This is very common on cars with replaced hoods. I've seen lots of them over the past 15 years..Front end accidents are common with Mustangs. Lots of grilles replaced, too, with '68 versions instead of the '67 "non-GT type (that is modified for the CS).

Body shops usually aren't up on how it was done originally--or--past owners didn't care or know what was "right"...

That's part of why this website (and my books) are so important.

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

So what size are correct? Are you talking about the holes for the hood locks? Rhonda

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

yes, the holes for the hood locks. The upper hole (in the hood skin) is usually just a fraction larger than the hood lock but the lower hole (in the hood framing) is usuall huge. From memory I think it's about 3" diameter. As far as I know all of the original hoods had these huge holes in the framing but I've seen cars that are supposed to be 100% original with small lower holes. Something doesn't add up. Just wondering if anyone can verify that some of the cars could have come from Ford with smaller holes.

P

PNewitt

I've wondered if there was a trend in hood production, or just "some bad days" along the line.

It's one of those things, like early cars having rougher edges on the fiberglass around the gas cap.

I need to measure--and I'm willing to bet-- that the guy on the line that cut the hood's (underside) 3" holes with a sheet metal hole saw on a power drill, also cut the holes in the (stock) taillamp panel for the dimpled inserts.

You have to remember that assembly line work back then was no way near as sophisticated as it is today. There was a lot more improvision to keep the cars going down the line (not to say that it was bad work, but by nature, it didn't have to be as "exact" as today.)

Paul N.

nfrntau

After reading Pauls post I ran out and measured to see if they were the same on my car.
On my car the hood frame holes are 2.5" in diam.
The taillight dimple holes are 2.75"
So maybe the same guy but not the same drill bit.
The hood hole also seems to be a cleaner cut than the taillight cuts.

P

PNewitt

Thanks for taking the time to measure both holes.

I should do some sort of "factory procedure" outline for my new book.

I just wonder if the hoods were drilled on the car, or to the side (as a sub assembly) before they were attached. Obviously, they were already painted when they were drilled.

For what it's worth, I haven't determined any sequence or trend for the smaller underside holes--that is, if they were really done at the SJ factory.

p.s. As a side note--we owe a lot of graditude to those workers at Ford for assembling our Specials. Optioned out Mustangs and Cougars were not welcome to the factory, and tended to slow production.

Paul N.

rvrtrash

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1654;start=0#msg10194 date=1115440150]

The hood hole also seems to be a cleaner cut than the taillight cuts.
[/quote]

On mine it's the opposite. The holes in the hood frame are kind of rough and on one side, they started into the bottom of the skin. Somebody was getting carried away and almost ruined the hood. It's obvious there wasn't a jig for this and it was just free-handed.
Steve

P

PNewitt

I've seen that very thing (cut marks on the underside of the hood) on a handful of Specials.

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

The holes on the topside of the hood of my GT/CS are about 3/4 of an inch. The underside holes are even smaller. Does that mean that I have a replacement hood? I`ve already deducted that my car has a replacement grill (no foglight brackets). The underside holes on the hood are rough cut and not perfectly round. Does anybody have a pic of what they are supposed to be like? Rhonda

nfrntau

This is what mine looks like.

Attachments

• DSCF2566.JPG
    DSCF2566.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 14

Mustanglvr

Thank you nfrntau. The underside of yours is quite different than mine. Rhonda

P

PNewitt

Thank you Nfrntau, for posting that photo. I'm guessing that the hood has been primered, right??

I noticed something interesting...look at the underside of the smaller hole. There is a raised amount of metal on the edge. I'm guessing that it's from drilling the top hole from the top.

I wonder if the underside hole was drilled first with a hole saw--with a center bit, and then top hole was enlarged from the top, in a two-part process.

As for these hoods with smaller holes--my opinion (for now) is that they are replaced hoods from accidents (or other repair), and the Ford dealer and/or body shop didn't care too much with matching the hole size.

I would chalk this up with how the Lucas refit was "goofed up" sometimes by the dealer (without pedistals, etc..).

Interesting feature to figure out it's production details.

Any other ideas--opinions as to how this was done?? I'm curious.

Thanks again,

Paul N.

rvrtrash

This is only a guess, but if I was doing the work, I would drill the top hole first and then the bottom. The top of the hood is nice and flat and the frame underneath has lots of angles and flat surfaces are easier to put templates on. After the top hole is cut, keep going until your centering bit goes through the bottom and you've got the locating hole for the bottom cut.
Steve

390cs68rcode

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1654;start=0#msg10283 date=1115608628]
This is what mine looks like.
[/quote]

now I know why you were looking at my hood to compare to yours. that bottom hole is huge!

nfrntau

Yes Paul,
The hood has been primered.
The whole car is now comfortably resting in epoxy primer. The body shop Did the majority and then Arlie and I spent another day getting VERY picky with all the little places they missed.
On their behalf they just don't have the time to be as anal about getting the tiny little places as I want to be.
Will start the body work this Saturday. If any of Y'all want to help, come on down.
Bill

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Bill, I might have found a paint store. Just south of Home Depot on 59 & 1960. I think it's called Tasco or something like that.

nfrntau

Tasco Auto Color. That's the store the body shop goes through.
Also that's the store PPG refers you to to buy their products locally. (It's hard to put two two's in a sentence together lol)
On the Alcapulco Blue paint on the PPG web site it shows two different numbers for the Ford color. I called them to find out the difference. They say the two are exactly the same. (Why two numbers??)

P

PNewitt

Why are those holes on the underside SO BIG?

It's because the underside of the hood has to sit over the hood pin retainers (those boxy things with the wire in the middle). For those with shaller holes, I'm betting that your retainers are sitting real low, and the hood doesn't quite sit right--and the locks are hard to turn?

BTW-- Nfrntau--remember to sand off the inside edge of the hole, to make it look like it was cut with a hole saw. You could clear cote the bare metal to protect it, too. Just for concours.

Paul N.