• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tail light frames

cgable5150

I read on here somewhere that all GT/CS tail light frames had a entirely bright finish as opposed to the outer edge being black. It seems as though I have seen several very original cars that have the black outer frame. Is it possible that they were delivered both ways?
Chris

Mustanglvr

I think the black frames are reproductions and the black has to be scraped off. Correct me if I`m wrong guys. I`m still learning. Rhonda

Mosesatm

The black frames are either repros or they came from used T-Birds. Some people like the black so they leave it on but to be 100% correct Rhonda is right that it should be removed.

nfrntau

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1670;start=0#msg10337 date=1115734934]
the black has to be scraped off. [/quote]

Can we change this to removed? A little thinner and fine steel wool would do the trick.

It just gave me images of me at age 17, boy did I have good intentions!

68gt390

That's about the only thing you can do with them. Paint stripper and some 00 steel wool and they buff up just fine. I had to do that with mine after I bought my car. It's one of the easiest things to correct on the CS.

Don :D

Perkchiro

I bought my frames aftermarket with blackened outer frames. I used laquer thinner and a soft cloth and it worked well with applications of elbow grease.

rvrtrash

I actually painted my frame edges black on purpose. :eek:
I liked the way it looked against the Wimbledon White and it covered up some light pitting in the chrome. I didn't have time to have them rechromed before driving season, but this fall the hood pins and taillight bezels will be rechromed, along with some parts for a few other cars.
Steve

68sunlitgold

As everyone knows, the CS tail lights are from the '65 T-bird. When the '68 Shelby came out, they took the lights but had the black removed from the bezel. Ford had two different part numbers for the tail lights, one for the T-bird (with black on the edge) and one for the Shelby/CS (without black). Around '75 (not sure of the date) Ford decided to discontinue the '68 complete chrome bezel and only stock the '65 T-bird bezel.

So as discussed, you just remove the black around the edge for the correct bezel.

Doug

P

PNewitt

..and all I would add to Doug's comments, is that the Ford service part these days have two sets of screws--black AND chrome--so you could do it either way--black paint or chrome.

Paul.

p.s. we're thinkin' of ya there in So. Korea, Doug. Take Care.