• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What constitues original?

Joes68

I've looked through the discussion forum to try and find some info on what constitutes original?
My GT/CS was bought from the dealer by my uncle and he left it to me. He wasn't known for the great upkeep of the car as he was elderly, so for the most part he didn't have a lot of things done to the car. It only has 67,000 original miles on it and has been in California its whole life so it is in pretty good shape considering it's lack of TLC. It still has the factory exhaust, original engine, interior, paint, and all the fixins.
If I have the engine and transmission rebuilt, what can I or can't I have done to hop-it-up a little without changing what would be considered original? It has a 2bbl carb but I would like to put a 4bbl carb after engine rebuild. Is this taboo even if I keep the original 2bbl carb?
What if the exhaust needs to be replaced? Should I try to keep the original exhaust unless absolutely necessary?
I believe the paint can be detailed and cleaned up to my satisfaction but do I consider new paint?
I appreciate any input I can get. I plan to use the car for a special weekend drive or two and plan to proceed cautiously with the restore. I want to keep the car as original as I can within reason.
Thanks again, this site is the greatest!
Ron

coloradoHCS

Ron, we have a thing in my other life (Corvettes) that is called survivor class. These cars may not be perfect, few are, but are worth a fortune because of original paint, exhaust, tires, sometimes belts and hoses.
The problem is they are not alot of fun to drive due to reliability issues.
If you are not planning on showing the car as a Mustang survivor then you can upgrade componants for safety, reliablity and drivability. 4 barrel, dual exhaust, KN filters, better tires are all considered bolt on and should not be a big deal when the future value is considered...as long as you KEEP all the original parts.

There has been lengthy discussions on this forum before. You may want to look back at some of the old posts for more insight.

By the way, if the old paint is original and presentable with only a clean up and there is no issue with rust, I would leave it alone. This does add to the overall value of the car and the paint is original only once. Good luck, Mark.

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks Mark,
Most of what I've heard is similar to what you've said. You can do some bolt-on type improvements for reliability and safety, but always keep all the original parts.
The engine is a 289 and is a little tired after all these years. If I go with a rebuild, can I have a different cam put in for a little more performance, or do I want to keep everything inside the motor original?
I don't want a flawless show car, so my hope is the original paint will clean up nicely without having to re-paint, yet look nice driving down the road.
I've sent off for the Marti report and should be able to double-check everything in the next week.
I'm not out to eventually sell the car for big bucks or anything like that. It'll stay in the family for many, many years for sure.
Thanks for the reply. As a newbie I'd like to do it right.
Ron

case12

Ron, as many have said on this site, it is your car and you can decide. Just keep all the original parts as the next person may see it differently. Also, decide very early which way you want to go - driver, survivor, concourse, race - because changing your mind along the way can be very expensive (I have done it).

From your questions it sounds like you are interested in keeping it as original as possible with a few upgrades. As long as the upgrades can be replaced with the original parts later, then that is a good way to go. Adding a slightly hotter cam is ok in the rebuild if that is what you want (keep the old one if it is not worn out - the next person may want it).

As already mentioned, concourse or survivor would be treated differently. Casey

Mustanglvr

Hi Ron,
I can safely say, that you have come to the right place. There is no other place in this world that you would find better information about the California Special and the High Country Special than right here on this site. There are people here that have written books about these cars, people that have been original owners for 37 years and some were actually there when they were producing these beautiful cars. There are also people here who have completely rebuilt them from the ground up, people who have raced them, showed them and have been 2nd, 3rd and 4th owners etc. Some of us live and breathe these cars every day. Some of us only give our cars a fleetful thought once or twice a year.
I guess as you can probably tell I am one of the more passionate ones here on the board since I am here almost every day and I tend to get longwinded and somewhat dramatic when it comes to these cars. I am still learning and loving every minute of it. But thats just the way I am and everybody here has come to accept me that way. (By the way, I appreciate that everybody.) So I guess what I am saying is WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Its nice to have you here and all the other newbies that have joined. Thanks, I`ll get off the soapbox now lol ;D Rhonda

390cs68rcode

My advice is to keep it the way it is. If you HAVE to replace something because it is worn out and does not work properly try and find original NOS parts to replace them with. If you cannot find NOS parts then find concourse correct parts. A original car is much more rare than a car that has been freshened up with new reproduced parts. When it comes to rebuilding a engine or transmission as long as it cannot be seen then go ahead with aftermarket stuff (cams, rear end gear you get the picture).

keep it original!!!

my .02 worth.

jk89cat

are you more worried about overall value ? unless your keeping it for $$ . modify it , make it what you want . make a safer more reliable car . and most of all what ever way you go , enjoy the car!

hookedtrout

[quote author=jk89cat link=board=1;threadid=1699;start=0#msg10658 date=1116557798]
are you more worried about overall value ? unless your keeping it for $$ . modify it , make it what you want . make a safer more reliable car . and most of all what ever way you go , enjoy the car!
[/quote]

Got mine back from Audio One today with a brand new modified stereo system (total of around a $1000) and boy does it sound sweet. I were definitely enjoying it. ;D Broke another window crank knobby :mad: Think I'll just order up a dozen so I have them and I think it's time to go into the doors and lube things up a bit.

Hook

rvrtrash

As Mark said, it's needs to be completely original to be in the survivor class. Once you start changing stuff, it's over. If that's what you want to do-great. If you want a survivor and still want to drive it, consider buying a rebuilt engine and trans and dropping that in without ever removing a valve cover on the original one. That would only be a big deal if you plan on selling it at some point. Most of us here don't intend to ever sell, even if some like to speculate on the value if we did. I, for example, have been told that if I die and don't pass the car down to my oldest, he's going to dig me up and kick my butt.
Steve

meadowsdk28

Broke another window crank knobby :mad: Think I'll just order up a dozen so I have them and I think it's time to go into the doors and lube things up a bit.

Hook, know what I did? As tboo as it sounds, I just went out and put a couple of 1967 window cranks on the front only. Like you, I was sick and tired of those things coming apart (and they continually do) so I broke the "year" barrier and used the 67's. All metal, durable and nobody's noticed yet. Course, I don't show it, just enjoy it. Best thing, not one problem in 10 years.

hookedtrout

[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1699;start=0#msg10664 date=1116586403]
Broke another window crank knobby :mad: Think I'll just order up a dozen so I have them and I think it's time to go into the doors and lube things up a bit.

Hook, know what I did? As tboo as it sounds, I just went out and put a couple of 1967 window cranks on the front only. Like you, I was sick and tired of those things coming apart (and they continually do) so I broke the "year" barrier and used the 67's. All metal, durable and nobody's noticed yet. Course, I don't show it, just enjoy it. Best thing, not one problem in 10 years.
[/quote]

I shall heed your good advice and start looking for some 67 cranks as it sounds like a great idea to me. I have a nice cut on my hand from this last one. When it broke I gouged my left index finger. :'(
Hook

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks all for the input! I definitely want to be able to use and enjoy the car on occassion. This can be done without having to do anything that would drastically alter the car.
If all the original numbers still match, the paint is original and so forth, it sounds like I can't really go wrong.
I don't plan on doing disc brakes or modifications that would change it's original status.
Don't know how broad the survivor class rules are, but I'm not out for the $$ down the road.
Couldn't imagine leaving the car under cover and starting it on occassion to keep it a survivor. If I'm going to keep the car forever and enjoy it, it seems I can make it safe & fun to drive and will win both ways. 8)
Ron

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks for the welcome Rhonda! I'm looking forward to being an obsessed CS owner. I don't plan on seeking therapy other than turning the ignition key on those beautiful sunny days. :D You,,, long-winded and dramatic??? No way!!
Ron

nfrntau

[quote author=Joes68 link=board=1;threadid=1699;start=0#msg10673 date=1116602139]
Thanks for the welcome Rhonda! I'm looking forward to being an obsessed CS owner. I don't plan on seeking therapy other than turning the ignition key on those beautiful sunny days. :D You,,, long-winded and dramatic??? No way!!
Ron
[/quote]

Wow, I'm using THIS site as my therapy. If only I could turn my key. I admit it, I have a GT/CS bug.
Kind of like the commercial of the guy walking around with a VW on his head. Only difference is I wear mine on the inside. lol

jk89cat

i fit the bill of obessed ! i own four cars and when i dig into a project , its well , overely done . i am also a true gearhead through and through . i have a almost completely resotored 89 g20 shorty van im fixing for a friend and one thing led to another and now its got a all new interior ( yes it was that bad) . and my old cars are no exception to this. i will have my other cars done before the 67 comes into repair state , becasue it will be tastfuly cloned and a overall nice ride . sorry for rambling ::)