• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Newbie has a question

luisa2552

Hi all,

Maybe I just haven't done enough homework on this one, but I was wanting to know about the big differences in options on our cars. From what I understand, they could be ordered with any option available in 68. Some of your cars have the works- deluxe interior, tilt wheel, power steering and brakes, etc. Mine was lucky to get an AM radio. It's a 302 4v with a 3 speed manual (along the line has been changed to 289 4 speed). So were cars like mine the 'base' model ordered by dealers to have on the lot? Or just a cheap first owner? Sara

coloradoHCS

Sara, I believe when the California dealer group sold the idea for the GT/CS they agreed upon a quantity of around 5000 units with Ford so Ford would have enough cars to "tool up" a run. Some were certainly pre-orderd by cusomers wanting specific options but I would guess that most were dealer stock orders. These would have had to be received by the factory by a certain date in order to make the build date and support the 5000 unit agreement.

Colorado dealers decided late in the program that they wanted a Special, so I think all the HCS's are late builds. This may have been done to help get closer to the 5000 units but in the end there were only 251 made for the Colorado market, again for the most part, I believe dealer stock orders.

This information is from what I have read, Paul and Bob Teets may have records showing customer or stock order. I never looked at my Marti report to see if that info is stated. Mark.

Mustanglvr

Mine was ordered stock for the Phoenix ordering district. It came with tinted glass, air conditioning, console,white sidewall tires, etc. Would that have all been ordered by the dealer?

68gt390

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1714;start=0#msg10772 date=1116872552]
Mine was ordered stock for the Phoenix ordering district. It came with tinted glass, air conditioning, console,white sidewall tires, etc. Would that have all been ordered by the dealer?
[/quote]

Rhonda;
I remember a lot of the Ford dealers on the west coast ordered Mustangs with a combination of different options just so they would have something to appeal to just about everybody. To give you a good example both my cars (big block) were stock orders from San Jose and both have totally different options. You would think with a big block you would order all the goodies but, when I think back (being a 16 year old) in 1968 most of the folks ordered the big blocks without all the thrills. All they wanted was horsepower. Neither one of my cars was ordered with a traction loc or air. And you know what, I'm still sweating in both of them today. But, I have added a posi in both cars. Going in circles is no fun. To answer your question "yes" a stock order was what the dealer requested from the factory. I'm sure there were even situations were after they made a stock order and the car was received the dealer would add things to sell a particular car. Ford did some pretty strange things to these cars. Being from the old school, I put a Detroit Locker in my GT and at almost every show I go to folks want to know why my rearend sounds like it falling out. That was a "DETROIT LOCKER". Every time you turn a corner the clutches don't release. Sometimes, the car will actually hop. But, they are great for traction going in a streight line.

Don ;)

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

Maybe I should be happy my car is unique in that it has nothing ! :-\ I find myself sounding like my parents when we had a '65 Pontiac Tempest with no air- if my kids are in the CS with me an complain about being hot, out comes my mother-"Roll down a window!!!" :D
Sara