• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

police cars

Mustanglvr

hey guys!my sister rhonda is constantly telling me about all you motorheads discussing the stats on the california specials.while i am not (!) presently a mustang owner,i have been in the past,and they have been predominant in our family history.but,i have heard somewhere,a magazine or news article perhaps,that the next most collectable mustang will be in fact the pursuit cars made exclusively for the extremely lucky officers of the law.and of course,as luck would have it,the more dressed out in police insignia,the better,and consequently,the more valuable.so,what i would like to know from all you big,stong men out there who seem to be so knowledgable on this subject,is what you think on this subject.oh and remember fellas,knowledge is power...and you all seem to be full of it!!!lol...thanks and be sure to keep up the outstanding entertainment this site never fails to provide...stangs rule!!! anita ;D

Mosesatm

Are we talking strictly Mustang police cars or all police cars?

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

in response....i was speaking about the mustang pursuit cars that were made with special high performance running gear able to withstand high speeds for long periods of high pursuits.they were made that way not only so they could keep up with the perpetrator,as helicopters werent in use as much at that time,but were designed not to break down as fast,thereby lasting longer than the bad guys vehicles and not letting them get away just because the pursuit vehicles engine blew up.i hope that helps to clarify my question just a bit....thanks

Mosesatm

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about with my next statement but that's never stopped me before.

If we are talking about the late '80s and early '90s I think they will probably become collectible in another 10 to 20 years. There are still a lot of cars from the '60s and '70s out there to supply the demand of the baby-boomers. The cars of the '80s and '90s will be desired by those who grew up with them and they won't become valuable until that generation has the time and excess cash to spend, usually after the kids are out of the house.

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=1832;start=0#msg11935 date=1119649560]
I probably have no idea what I'm talking about with my next statement but that's never stopped me before.

[/quote]

Sounds like ya know what your talking about to me. I'll support your story.

Hook

19HCS68

I don't know if I would want one of these ponies. The cops ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet. They will definately be HIGH milage cars. Unless someone enjoys tearing into these pretty deep and spending money for restoration. I personally wouldn't want to and think they would be money pits. Just MHO. :-\

Gary

case12

A personal story on the Police mustang..... In 1992, I was minding my own business heading down I-20 in Georgia (where I lived at the time). I was doing around 77mph in a 65mph zone when a Ga State Patrol mustang went by the other direction. He saw me, decided he wanted to get me, and hit the grass median to turn around at about 65 fish tailing away and getting stuck. I just kept going (he didnt have his lights on), and decided it was time to get gas at the next exit (no, really I needed some gas ::)). Somehow he found me pumping gas at the station 10 minutes later, and he was more angry than a hornet. When he pulled up, for some reason the State Patrol mustang was heavily leaning on the drivers side - I soon found out why -When he got out of that State Patrol mustang it lifted back to level - He was a good 6'5" and 300 lbs. How he ever fit in that little mustang is a mystery to me. He finally calmed down (I was afraid on going to jail and was very courteous), and he gave me a speeding ticket (for a measly 12mph over) - then he squeezed back in the State Patrol mustang which again leaned heavily. So, if I ever had a chance to buy a Ga State Patrol mustang I would pass on it, especially if it is heavily leaning on the drivers side. ;) Casey

hookedtrout

I've got a Mustang police story too, I've shared it before so those that have seen it skip it but I thought I'd share it again for those that are new.

In 81 or 82 I was heading across the Idaho Desert toward Boise near Sun Valley. My brother and I made the trip to Rexburg Idaho every 10 days over and back for work. We would always go across the desert rather than the interstate because we could fly wide open in the 65 Mustang and never see State Troopers and rarely see other traffic. I was pegging 120 mph on the straight stretch and saw a car coming but couldn't see lights so I stayed on it. Turned out to be a brand new 5.0 Mustang State Trooper. Lucky for us he was out on the desert away from traffic going the opposite direction simply seeing what the 5.0 would do. He must have been going 120+ mph when we passed I saw him wave and he kept on going. I'm sure he still tells the story himself.

Hook

meadowsdk28

My turn.

First, I think the Special Service Mustangs will become somewhat collectible, but not to the extent of many other Mustangs. Probably about the most collectible police car, though. When I lived in California, I would see them and get plain envious. This was back in 82 and 83. I just remember them as being fast. If I were a cop, I'd want one. If I were a collector of cop type cars, I would want one of those, an Old Sheriff Andy Taylor Galaxie and a Starsky and Hutch Torino.

Now, my 5.0 cop story. I was making my way through Texas on I10. Visibility for miles. I made it across Texas averaging 110 easy and most of the time well over 130 (it was my buddies Trans Am with a 455) (Also, I ended up frying the computer and was stuck in Clines Corner, New Mexico for 4 days). Anyway...I got gas in Pecos County Texas, and just as I was getting back on the interstate, pow, as state trooper in his 5.0 pulled me over. He asked me how fast I thought I was going and I told him (remember, this was years ago and I was a young Private getting ready to go do my first tour in Germany) "Well, about 1/3 as fast as I was going about 10 miles back!"

He began to write...