• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Marchal guys..........bend over........ouch

Mosesatm

But there are no bids. It'll be interesting to see if there are any by the time the auction ends.

There is another pair for sale for an opening bid of $450 and no one has bid on them yet either.

68MustangHCS

Another fella trying to make a fortune... :-\

I've seen these sell in new condition less than $200 each...so what makes this one worth $900?

68gt390

That's not a bad price when you consider they are harder to find than the Lucas lights. I paid $850 for mine (NOS still in the box brand new). Plus, if the build date on your car allows you to run them I myself think they look a lot better than the Lucas lights. See calendar photo #2. I've had both Lucas and Marchal lights on my car and opted for the Marchal's.

Don ;D

68gt390

[quote author=68MustangHCS link=board=1;threadid=2236;start=0#msg15284 date=1129002147]

I've seen these sell in new condition less than $200 each...so what makes this one worth $900?
[/quote]

If you can find them for less than $200 each I suggest you buy them. I've seen used sets on ebay for over $1200. You'll be lucky if you can even find a dealer that even has them. Most restoration shops that do have them will usually get 15 sets of Lucas lights before they can even find 2 sets of Marchal's. Talk to Pete at Orlando Mustang and he'll give you pretty good breakdown on just how rare a set of Marchal's are. You can find Lucas lights all over ebay - how many sets of Marchal's do you see - hardley none. You can find the Marchal's for the 85 GT's with the black backing all day but, you won't find the 656/322 Marchal's for our cars.

Don

Mustanglvr

[quote author=68MustangHCS link=board=1;threadid=2236;start=0#msg15284 date=1129002147]

[/quote]

Are you sure they were Marchals for $200.00? If you can find a deal like that again, you better buy them up. They are very rare, especially in mint condition.

Sarge

I paid $600 for mine a few years ago, and then had them air freighted from the Netherlands for another $60. This did include the correct bulbs at an additional cost, as the european Marchals typically had the yellow colored bulbs.

Any Marchal NOS set for less than $700 is definately a steal... If nothing else, buy them and hold onto them for 5 years, then eBay.

Robert

TheBlkPearl

I was looking at his customers comments and saw that he recently sold a similar set for $389.99. Maybe he will take an offer if nobody bids.

68MustangHCS

I did see a guy sell an NOS Marchal for less than $200. No kidding...I remember it wasn't listed under your typical search, I found it under "Vilem B. Haan," a parts importer from the 60's. Vilem used to sell Marchal lights, and had his name on the box it sold from. It sold cheap!

P

PNewitt

Besides rarity, you can "blame" the high value of the Marchals to the Ferrari crowd. They used them on the 350GTO during the 60's.

Perhaps we could get someone in England (Glenn?) or in France to go looking at auto jumbles (swap meets) for the Marchals for us??.

They also used them on the little European Ford Capris in the 60's.

With the brighter bulbs, they are bright little buggers!!

Paul N.

68gt390

Looks like they didn't sell. I'm still wondering if these particular lights 653/300 are correct for our cars? Ours call for the 656/322 marchal. They look correct plus I have heard that the early lights only had 1 lead wire and were grounded inside the case. I know the Marchal's on my car have duel wires and the ground wire inside has been clipped.

Don

Mosesatm

It's interesting how there were 14 bids on the 656s and zero bids on the 653s. The 653s have been relisted on eBay.

68gt390

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2236;start=0#msg15396 date=1129255917]
It's interesting how there were 14 bids on the 656s and zero bids on the 653s. The 653s have been relisted on eBay.
[/quote]

That leads back to my last post, their 653's and not 656's which is what is called for on the CS. I'm not sure what the difference is but, they sure look pretty close to the 656. With the price the set of 656's sold for, I'm glad I got mine last summer. I'm sure the price will just continue to rise for a set of 656/322's.

Don

jk89cat

makes me glad i am bulding a clone, and not having to worry about 100% accuracy. i just paid $110 for the black body lucas lamps from britain, still awaiting their arrival!

our special

I'm going to wade in on this one, and I stand to be corrected.
I think that the 653's are designed to mount the same way as the Lucas lights or upside down under the bumper.
The mounting bolt on the 656's has more adjustment which allows the light to be mounted in the grille.
I belive that if you mounted a 653 in the grille it would face the bumper.
I seem to remember seeing this somewhere but I can't be sure.
Our car has the 656 lights.

Dave

our special

Hi folks, I said that I stand to be corrected on the mounting of 653's and I am going to correct myself.

I was looking at a set of Marchal 653's on ebay, item 4587230317, and there are some good shots of the mounting bolts, and from these photos it looks like there would be no problem to mount the 653's on the grille brackets.

The photo shows that the mounting bolt is the same on the 653's as is on the 656.

So, that brings us back to the initial question, what is the difference between the two lights?

Dave

Diesel Donna

Okay, somebody set me straight.
I like the Marchal lights about the same as I like the Lucas.
Now when the state of California decided that the Lucas lights were too bright and had to be retrofitted with Marchal, or anything else...wouldn't that make the Lucas lights worth more money?

I know that isn't the case but just always wondered why.

~~~~donna