• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The Great Aemoo28 GT/CS Adventure!!

P

PNewitt

You won't believe this story.

Amy and a friend flew down from Seattle to El Segundo (next to LAX) to pick up a black (formerly Pebble Beige) '68 GT/CS.

The car was presentable, but it was more like a WWII aircraft, in that it was reliable and well engineered, but it had "a few issues"....

They made it up to the bay area, and I worked on the car...replacing fried points, cap and rotor, a loose fuel line to the carb, a crimped heater bypass hose, and a floppy rear view mirror. While cutting off the zip ties to the crimped heater hose I managed to accidently "stab" my right hand in the palm with an X-Acto knife in my left. Ouch! (hard to type)

Day two proved to be too much, and the drive back to Seattle had to stop, a tow truck was involved.....and the fantastic CS owner "family" came through again, thanks to ClubPro....

Lots to tell...more tomorrow. Lots of lessons, wisdom, and "there's a reason for everything". Amy, a late model CS owner, had a crash course in 40 yr old techno. I got a call from her halfway up highway 101 at night: "hey, why does this little red horse light up when I push this button on the floor????"

I told her it was the self-destruct button. :p

Stay Tuned..

Paul N.

J.Bart

"hey, why does this little red horse light up when I push this button on the floor????"

I told her it was the self-destruct button. :p

Paul N.[/QUOTE]

that is hilarious!!!!

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

This story will most likely be explained "disjointedly" through my recollections, as well as Amy's, along with all the "documented" photos she took of this (mis)adventure..

I'll have to say...Amy's enthusiasm (which is a LOT) for the GT/CS stemmed from her visiting this site, seeing the love for the car, as well as the family support element. It was what she saw that pushed her over the edge to buy her late model CS, and then want an early car...even if it meant going to L.A. to pick it up, and drive it north.....

As Amy was heading up north on day one...Here as home, I went to get her some things...primarily a set of platinum plugs, cap, rotor, points and condensor (we'll get a Perlux in there ASAP); a can of carb cleaner...and at Target, a towel, flashlight, etc..etc...and a bag of "emergency" Pepperidge Farm Choc chunk cookies... I met her for the first time that night at where I found them a Motel, seeing that black beauty backed in it's parking spot...with those Lucas light staring right at me! Like Jessica Rabbit in a spy movie, she appeared from our of the darkness to say hello...and she was greeted with a big hug. Amy is a wonderful woman...and a very determined and headstrong person that I admire... Little does she know, but getting this CS will change her life, and introduce her to 40 year technology. She literally had to learn just what an "old car" is like...no power windows, and things that don't work. Her cig lighter didn't work, so no plug in GPS. SO...I told her to use the "old school method" in this classic...."a map"!!

Her mirror on the windshield was floppy...you know, that middle bracket was bent enough so if you tightened the screws, it STILL was floppy?? Well, they had this ingenious use of duct tape to criss cross from the sun visors about five times, to hold the mirror up in place. Amazing. It was like Apollo 13. When I got there, I tried to see what was wrong, and undid the tape like a Mummy's body, and as I wanted to get the tape off, the whole mirror--glued bracket and all--suddenly came off into my hand. So..I took it home that night, and up till 1:30Am, took it apart, flattened out the bracket halves, and cut a screw to fit, since one of them flew out the window when they were fixing it (LOL). AND...with super glue in hand...I brought it back the next morning, and put it into place. Perfect!! :)

Even though I've been running this registry for many years, I am continually amazed at the love and how far people will go to have one of these Mustangs...and the lengths ot restore and enjoy them. Amy went way above and beyond the usual enthusiasm to drive this CS as far as she did. She got up to the Bay Area from L.A., through downtown traffic, and up 101 on the coast....over 350 miles on a car that had sat still since Feb. With bad points, and a loose fule line, and sloppy power steering. She was very lucky that nothing bad happened.. It made me think of those old movies where this cranky old DC-3 barely got off the ground, and you were "on a wing and a prayer"..... Such was Amy's case...

Day two got them as far as out of the bay area, and bit east to catch highway 5, just north of Vacaville....on that part where there in nothing but farmland and cows staring at you.... It was the radiator, that cracked at the top hose connection, and steam filled the air, the oil pressure fell, and the engine died. She had to negotiate the side of the highway--plowing dirt; avoiding hitting a ditch, with suddenly no power or power steering. She called me to help (i.e. "SAVE ME!)....and I told her to get AAA to get the car....which this big flatbed "tow truck" showed up. I met them in Woodland, and we stood in a dirt parking lot of a closed auto repair place, wracking our brains of what to do next. I thought of giving Ron Moore (ClubPro) a call. I said to him on the phone...."uh..Ron..I'm here in Woodland, and I'm standing here looking at a black CS up on a flatbed truck...and Amy and her friend had to pull over...the car had died..."

And so...Ron said to bring the car to him....and I'll let Amy and/or Ron tell that part of the story....

The tow truck guy was cool...he said he'd heard of these cars, but had never seen one. He regretted selling his '70 Cuda..A fun day for him, different from the usual rescue of cranky Hondas, and upside down SUVs.. Amy and I followed on our way to Ron's "CS Sanctuary" in my '94 GT, looking at her baby up on the truck, and I told her..."hey-- look on the bright side...you can see from here that your windshield mirror is Perfect!!!"

Part of the moral of this story is that these care ARE old cars....and you can't just jump in them, turn the key and take them for a 1,000 mile journey without some serious looking over. No fault of Amy's....the seller has assured her (I think?) that the car was good for the trip...(to my chagrin), and that's how it happened. I actually think she should get a medal for making the effort...talk about determination and the "pioneer spirit!!"...

Although I admire the engineering on these cars (and all pre-1971 Fords), they are built like tanks, but there are weak spots. Those 289-302 engines are real reliable workhorses....and they will do their best to start and run and run... But we're at a point in time now where the age is really becong apparent on the workings on these cars..and the mileage and the elements are taking it's toll on them. We're nearing a point where it's meaning a complete teradown, and complete restoration.

More to follow....

Paul.

aemoo28

Where do I start?

I don't know exactly where to start, but I have *must see* photos.

http://aemoo30.spaces.live.com/photos/

"My CS adventure"

I must say that even with these complications, this has been the greatest adventure of my life. I would do it again. To experience the kindness of (not anymore) strangers from my CS family after the wild ride we've had during the last 2 days, I would do it again. The trust and kindness I've received has been overwhelming.

This story may come in pieces. I must say I'm eternally gratefull for Paul (my hero), Ron and his wife (such great hospitality), and the humor that we found because we had to. And to Jenn, my best friend since we were 6 yrs old, who doesn't even like Mustangs, who offered to come with me and drive my car home from California. You see, we chose this adventure for my 35th birthday/I passed the nursing boards/got my RN job.

I have a lot to say, but it will come in pieces, as I'm still overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness of my CS family.

I bought this car sight unseen because I was told it was in good enough condition for the trip to Seattle from El Segundo. It is fully optioned with AC and power brakes/steering. The AC had to be disabled due to a heater leak issue, so we rode with the windows open, fans were inoperable.

This car did NOT and would NOT leave California. One issue after another. It only started after 3 attempts. I was afraid to stop the car except for gas, so we took turns at the rest stop for fear of being stuck there. Drive thru Starbucks only. The power steering only worked when it wanted to work, sometimes off and on during a turn.

The first night I prayed we'd reach Paul, who found us a place to stay. We intended to get to Redding, after 6 hours, the car was thinking of ways to stay. Just tried to get the car to Paul, who was waiting with bags full of car parts and magic tricks. I was reversing into the hotel parking lot at 10pm when the dash lights went out and the car came to a stop. Paul worked miracles and got it going again after it bit him. Paul's blood has marked the engine. What he didn't realize is that he'd adopted me and my car on that first day, and that we'd never be able to leave Paul. See the pictures.

The next morning we thought we'd won the battle and were on our way to Eugene to stop for the night. Oh no, not happening- because this car had other plans only 20 minutes into day 2 (my bday). The smoke started, the noise started, and it DIED on my way over to the side of I-5 somewhere by Yolo (by Arbuckle) right after the (closed) rest stop. Braking at 55 mph without power brakes!! Trying not to go into the ditch. Worried the car was on fire due to all the smoke- all the sudden the gages showed no oil pressure, and the temp went to high.

We exited the car, grabbed the fire extinguisher, got Paul on the line. Opened the hood and smoke poured out. Did I mention there was a dead something alongside the road? Great place to die, next to that smell, in 90+ sun.

Check this out: We're on the side of I-5. I'm standing there with my phone in my ear, the extinguisher in my hand, the hood up, smoke/steam everywhere. This man pulls over to the side in front of us, walks over to us...

... and asks us if we are close to some town because he's lost.

Um, no, we are from SEATTLE and our car visually is SMOKING. So he gets back onto the road without comment on our situation.

Bottom line: Paul to the rescue AGAIN. AAA towed us to Ron in Sacramento. See the photos. Priceless. Ron will drive this car (are you sure, Ron?) up to Seattle, where he was planning to be next weekend for another reason. They put Jenn and I onto the plane, and "Satan" is staying in Sacramento for now, surely plotting against the next adventure with Ron trying to drive it out of California.

Last edited:

aemoo28

Attachments

• small 038.jpg
    small 038.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 54
  • small 034.jpg
    small 034.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 78
  • small 058.jpg
    small 058.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 50
  • small 062.jpg
    small 062.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 53
  • small 069.jpg
    small 069.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 60

clubpro

So there I am at home working on my "honey do" list and wishing that I was doing something car related instead. Be careful what you wish for...My phone rings and it is a frantic Paul Newitt who states "I am with Amy and Jenn who were trying to drive Amy's new toy back up to Seattle". The car had broken down in the middle of nowhere and they didn't know what to do or where to take it. Paul asked if I knew somewhere safe they could take the car until they had figured out what to do. I knew that everything was pretty much closed for the weekend, so I said bring it to my house and we will figure out something from there.

Knowing that it would take them close to an hour to get to my place I went back to the "honey do" list. I knew that my dogs would let me know when they arrived. When I heard the barking I knew they had arrived. There it was the "CS from hell" or at least I think that's what Jenn was calling it. She also said something about "never wanting to get back in that car again".

I offered to let them use my Expedition to tow the car back to Seattle, but I soon realized that neither one of them had any experience with pulling a car trailer. So plan B was for them to fly back and I would either drive the car up to Seattle or tow the car up to Seattle. I have to be in Seattle within the next week because of a family situation so I thought that it was the right thing to do.

After the car was unloaded from the truck we put it in the driveway and the examination began. Radiator was dry as a bone with signs of leaking along the top of the core. After filling the radiator with water I decided to try and start the car. The car fired right up and actually ran very well. Once it got up to running temp the leaking began. Fairly easy fix for the shop just down the street. While I'm waiting for the radiator I will replace the spark plugs and check the points again. You are correct Paul the Pertronix is the way to go for these old horses. When the radiator comes back then it goes up on the rack to check the power steering and everything underneath and of course change the oil.

Call me crazy, but I don't think that there are going to be any more problems once everything is checked out.

So Rule #1 is - When buying a car out of the area have someone you can trust check it our before you pay out your hard earned cash.

Rule #2 is - Remember the GT/CS family always takes care of their own.

Stay tuned for more adventures with the "CS from hell".

Cheers,

Ron

Doug

Call me crazy, but I don't think that there are going to be any more problems once everything is checked out.

So Rule #1 is - When buying a car out of the area have someone you can trust check it our before you pay out your hard earned cash.

Rule #2 is - Remember the GT/CS family always takes care of their own.

Stay tuned for more adventures with the "CS from hell".

Cheers, Ron

As I read this story the names could've been changed to anybody who has basically bought a car sight unseen. I am one of those people (a couple of times I must add). As they say the 3 greatest lies are: “The car will take you home no matter where you live” and the other 2 lies I keep forgetting.

I really don’t want to believe that the seller was being dishonest but as it’s been said these cars are 40+ years and the seller wants to sell the car. Theirs a big difference driving these cares locally and driving them 1000+ miles; especially when you first acquire them.

I have many friends who have taken a position that whatever car they buy they don’t expect it to make it past the driveway; and that’s why they don’t pay a premium for their “fun” cars. They expect to need a full re-build. The only possible exception is for cars that they know.

I must close by saying that when you finally get the car home and fixed (to whatever degree) you will love it. I would rather buy an old car and fix it up then buy a new car. Also remember a few things; only 4000 California Specials were made and you have one – that’s joy in its self; the support group that you have within sites like this one and if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, than that’s okay. Now fix it and enjoy it. The car is from California not from HELL. Even though its 106 outside, or 41 degrees hotter than Seattle.

aemoo28

The car was labeled as such because weird things kept happening and breaking. First the mirror looked everywhere but behind us. Looked at Jenn, looked at the floor. The heater/ac thing leaked green liquid all over Jenn's feet. Then the cig lighter broke off, then the window crank broke off. Then the screw to the rear view mirror flew off from the top of my screw driver when I tried to fix it and flew out the window. Jenn leaned over to help me find the screw and accidentally put the car into reverse. Quickly began a descent down the parking lot with Jenn wild eyed. "Put it back onto park!" I yelled from my kneeled position on the pavement. looking for the screw. Darn good thing I wasn't 2 feet to the left, because the car wouldn've rolled over me. As it was, Paul pointed out the loose gas line thing to the carborator that spewed gas over the engine when he jiggled it. He mentioned that if it had come loose (like it did when he touched it) while driving, it would've ignited. The car was trying to kill me, and that's why it was named 'Satan'.

Jenn named it after the devil. It behaved perfectly around Paul, however. Started without gas on the first try when he started it, the trunk lid stayed opened for Paul when he opened it, and the power steering worked just fine when he drove it. Guess it knew who he was, Master Calspecial.

CougarCJ

Amy, Sorry about the bad luck getting your 'Special home.

It is stories like these that make owning an old car seem worth it.
Trust me, you will look back on this adventure some day and laugh and say it was all worth it.

I think that the car is just a little mischievious and wants to test your mettle. Only those truely worthy, can claim the keys and drivers seat as their own.

Does the name Arnie Cunningham ring any bells?:grin:

I am thankful of our extended family looking out for one another. Thank you one and all for helping out our newest sister.

davidathans

Nice story. Good read. Sorry about the problems, we've all had our share and you'll find that having a 68 GT/CS means that you are bound to have issues and it will just make you that much more in tune with your car.

These babies are sweet in black...good choice

Mustanglvr

Great story and a great experience you`ll never forget I`m sure. Kinda reminds me of when my sister and I drove my GT/CS to the Antiques Roadshow in St. Paul, Mn. a few years ago.
At the time I was`nt sure the car could have made it out of town no less make it 200 miles to St. Paul and back. It made it on a wing and a prayer.
They said it was the one and only car anyone had ever presented to the Antiques Roadshow as an antique and/or collectible.
I remember driving over the St. Paul bridge and wondering why it was moving up and down so much with the traffic. Is that normal? The bridge collapsed a year and a half later.
Anyhoo, they wanted to put my car on the show that day but had already booked some antique boats I guess.
I hope you eventually get your car home Amy and can start to enjoy it. The 68`s need alot of TLC and patience, but they`re all worth it, every one.

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...Good read indeed! Amy, you have a great attitude going, while getting more of an immersion than most of us get in a year ;-) This is definitely one for the books! Hang in there - it can only get better.

Diesel Donna

"hey, why does this little red horse light up when I push this button on the floor????"

...Wait til she finds out that pedal alongside the left kick panel is not to set the emergency brake....and that handle you pull won't work to set the brake either! They never do! :grin:

What an adventure Amy and Jenn...sure glad the white knights were there to help you!

~~~~Donna

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Diesel Donna;56837 ...Wait til she finds out that pedal alongside the left kick panel is not to set the emergency brake....and that handle you pull won't work to set the brake either! They never do! :grin: What an adventure Amy and Jenn...sure glad the white knights were there to help you! ~~~~Donna[/QUOTE said:
When they were on the phone asking about the dimmer switch....I then said..."hey, push down that pedal on the far left, and watch what happens..."

....then I heard laughter on the phone...and.."OH! It's the WIPER!!"

Where else can you teach a late model CS owner the tricks of the original?

Amy literally had a crash course on a '68. Things most people would find out in two months at their leisure...she learned in ONE DAY!! (like the fun of filling up gas in a '68 with today's 80-gallons-per-second gas pumps!!). And how those brake handles have to be grabbed on both sides, or you'll bend it right off over time...

-PaulMasterSpecial.

p.s. Hey Nurse Amy...the 1/2 inch stab wound on my right hand is healing nicely....'cept this blue-green color is there. What do I do? More Neosporin? (kidding).

CALIF GIRL

Wow, reminds me so much of my CS during my colllege years. I swear my car loved the small town of Pixley. We broke down on the 99 just outside of Pixley too many times to count.....

Amy welcome to 68 mustang ownership....

aemoo28

YES I tapped that other nuisance pedal and jumped when the water sprayed me in the face (at 70mph) the first night.

And I did drive with the e-brake on by accident.

And almost broke my wrist while frantically punching for the horn to prevent a side swipe. This is how I found the e-brake pulled out; while rubbing my aching left wrist on my leg.

rule: don't flip anyone off behind you in the rear view mirror. With the car sitting so low next to the ground, and no rear window tint, it's a clear bright picture into the car at night with headlights lighting up the car's interior from behind.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Actually, Amy....SATIN is over working on MY car!!

--Paul "my hand still hurts thanks to your CS biting me" N.

Attachments

• helpboy.jpg
    helpboy.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

YES I tapped that other nuisance pedal and jumped when the water sprayed me in the face (at 70mph) the first night.

Do we tell her where the ejector seat button is??

Just like the late models, the '68 has multi-colored dash lights: Green, Dark Green, Really Dark Green, Black, and "I can't tell how fast I'm going".

I had to tell Amy about the tempermental headlight switch, and how the dash lights tend to flicker out after 12 hours of driving!!

Paul N.

J.Bart

i know it's not a mustang, but awhile back i purchased a 63 falcon with wiring problems. to make it short:after i got the proper lamps in the proper holes, and the non-factory add on wires( from previous owner) pulled out, the left turn was red. in 63 you didn't get a left and right turn signal indicator. one is the turn signal indicator and the other one is the high beem indicator. i guess in 63 your supposed to be smart enough to know which way your turning