• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 "Original Miles"

Ersel66

How would you all verify the claim of original miles without receipts/documentation?

My car has 32,XXX on the odometer and I was told that it is the actual mileage.
Everything is 100% original (I believe) and looks to be true. The engine compartment and wear on the seats seems to also verify this. Any other ways to validate you think?
The ext paint looks like it was repainted 20+ years ago and that is not in good shape, but everything else looks nice.

rvrtrash

There is no way to tell positively that I know of, without documentation. Has the car been sitting for 20-30 years without being licensed? Is there any wear in the carpet where the drivers heel would rest? Does it have all original suspension, upholstery, etc? Is the spare tire the original? These are clues but without some proof, chances are it's at least 100K plus. People that use a car as an occasional driver and put only a few miles a year on it, tend to take good care of it and save all documentation. My car showed 51K miles on it when I bought it. The plates showed it was last registered in 1978, expired in '79. It was only on the road 10 years and even with that, I wouldn't bet my house it was original, although I'm fairly confident. Maybe CougarCJ or Speegle has some more insight or ideas.

Steve

robert campbell

Both our car are 100k plus. If your car is 32k, it should have alot of original "Ford" stuff. Some of this is purchasable today

Radiator hoses
Shocks
Motorcraft BF-32 Spark plugs
Original Ford style hose clamps
Ford air filter may be retained

The brake pedal should show little wear on the edges. The door hinges should be tight with little movement if you lift the back of the door. Carpet should be original and a bit faded, but not extremely worn. May even have Ford headlights and windshield.

These are all just thoughts. I have been around some very low mileage Mustangs. They were full of original Ford items that could be replaced by aftermarket stuff. Just some other areas to check.

Rob

franklinair

What about checking the S/N on the engine to see if it's original?

Neil

CougarCJ

In my yard right now is a barn fresh 1968 Cougar XR7. It shows 97,000 miles on the dash.
I believe it to be correct, just by the minor wear on the door panels, and the fact that I can still see some of the original graining on the deluxe steering wheel. Pedals have minimal wear, it still has original paint and pin stripes.
Last tagged in 2000.

All of the original anodized trim has a uniform patina and is generally in excellent shape. Meaning very minimal parking lot rash. Accident free from looking at it bumper to bumper and underneath. Tilt column has nice detents or stops, doors close like new (you can really tell by the 'clunk'), all four Ford scripted headlights remain, disc brake calipers are still wire tied from the factory. Suspension looks untouched, except for shocks, has the leather looking strap on the drivers side shock tower for the power steering hoses.
Windshield has been replaced, or I would say look for a "carlite" glass.

This car obviously spend a bunch of years parked inside, judging by the paint and overall condition of the car.

Too bad it will be a parts car. The roof is badly rusted through. Pretty loaded car in 1968.

rvrtrash

Sounds like a candidate for a "factory" power sunroof conversion to me. Would the convertible hardtop, or whatever it's called, from Mustangs Plus in Calif, work on it? That would be cool also and you wouldn't have to scrap the car.

Steve

390cs68rcode

In my yard right now is a barn fresh 1968 Cougar XR7. It shows 97,000 miles on the dash.
I believe it to be correct, just by the minor wear on the door panels, and the fact that I can still see some of the original graining on the deluxe steering wheel. Pedals have minimal wear, it still has original paint and pin stripes.
Last tagged in 2000.

All of the original anodized trim has a uniform patina and is generally in excellent shape. Meaning very minimal parking lot rash. Accident free from looking at it bumper to bumper and underneath. Tilt column has nice detents or stops, doors close like new (you can really tell by the 'clunk'), all four Ford scripted headlights remain, disc brake calipers are still wire tied from the factory. Suspension looks untouched, except for shocks, has the leather looking strap on the drivers side shock tower for the power steering hoses.
Windshield has been replaced, or I would say look for a "carlite" glass.

This car obviously spend a bunch of years parked inside, judging by the paint and overall condition of the car.

Too bad it will be a parts car. The roof is badly rusted through. Pretty loaded car in 1968.

Cougar:

Don't you think a 97k mile car is gonna have worn brake/gas pedal pads? That's alot of starting and stopping and feet touching those.

CougarCJ

I would, there is some wear. I have seen way worse wear on other cars with similar miles.

lowmiler005.jpg

robert campbell

Scott,
My wifes 67 Fastback is a "gentle" rollover onto to its top car. If you can call that gentle....

Got a new top hood and fenders. Good as new. How bad it the rest of that car? I think I need it!!!

Rob

CougarCJ

I guess we have a thread drift.........sorry

Sounds like a candidate for a "factory" power sunroof conversion to me. Would the convertible hardtop, or whatever it's called, from Mustangs Plus in Calif, work on it? That would be cool also and you wouldn't have to scrap the car.

Steve

It is one that a good friend bought. I would have bought it myself, if I had seen if first.

Correct convertible Cougar conversions have been done. Look at 'catvert' in this link:
http://webpages.charter.net/bpratt/index.html

Some of you may have seen the car at Carlisle two years ago.

If I didn't have two project cars going, was gainfully employed, a 6 car garage, and had a bunch of spare fundage, I would like to do a speedster version or strictly an open car for fun. No roof needed in SoCal 10 months out of the year.

CougarCJ

Scott,
How bad it the rest of that car? I think I need it!!!

Rob

Really bad roof, missing the 302-4V and C4 transmission, console, and dash pad. Floor likely has some rust from the roof holes. Vinyl roof car, rusty down to the trim line and around the rear window.

Was a J code XR7. Options include: tilt swing steering column, air conditioning, power steering, disc brakes, and front are rear bumper guards.
It also came with a knitted bucket seat option.

Not technically mine, I only picked it up and am storing it.

J_Speegle

My car has 32,XXX on the odometer and I was told that it is the actual mileage.
Everything is 100% original (I believe) and looks to be true. .................
The ext paint looks like it was repainted 20+ years ago and that is not in good shape, but everything else looks nice.

100% with a repaint ;) sorry had to smile at the contradiction

How would you all verify the claim of original miles without receipts/documentation?........... The engine compartment and wear on the seats seems to also verify this. Any other ways to validate you think?

Without service receipts showing how the cars mileage got to where it is today - it's all a guess. It all has to do with how the car was used and how the miles were put on it. Have seen plenty of Calif cars with 140K that look like they have 40K and plenty of 40K cars from other parts of the country that look like 240K.

Unfortunately, in the big scale of the hobby, once the car has been repalnted much of the "low mileage" benefits are gone in most people's mind (this coming from an owner of a Boss 302 with 32K original miles and a repaint :(

Last edited:

gofastguy

These cars (low miles with a repaint) are often some of the best candidates for restoration projects so there is a bright side to the situation, but with your description of the cars current condition instead it appears it may be a great parts car

I'm surprised that this car would be regarded as nothing more than a parts car, even if it's a 132K car.

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

I'll have to post pics.

I will look at the areas you all pointed out. Since I recently acquired it I do not have any records/docs on it.

I do know I cannot find any rust on the car and besides the repaint years ago it really looks "original." I believe the carpet and seats are all original, but is there a way to check? And trust me the seats and carpet have wear but I'm not sure if that is 20 year old wear or 40+ year old wear.

It does have one FOMOCO headlight and I assume someone replaced all the hoses years ago due to just age.

The gas tank was recently placed, but I was told that was due to the car sitting, etc.

I do have to disagree my car is not a parts car!?:rolleyes: I think you're confusing my car with the Cougar mentioned. My car has no issues and no rust, etc

franklinair

Ersel66;
I would agree with you- if it is as you say, it sounds like a fun project.
Where are you located?

Neil

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Northern, CA. It is my 2nd CS and will be selling this one too.

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Neil- Some cars I buy to sell & others I keep for a bit and enjoy and others I keep for the long term. This was a plan B. :) I get bored easy.

Now back on topic...look like 30k "original miles"?

cs1d.jpg

cs2so.jpg

cs3w.jpg

cs4i.jpg

cs5ul.jpg

GTCSMustang

Hard to say. It's been in the sun a lot. Shocks have been replaced. Screens are originals.

How about some more pictures? Engine? Trunk?

Scott