• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help with tire size !!

Batgirl89

my GT/CS anniversary gift, that I got last thurs, needs new rims and tires. currently has 14" rims with 235/60/14 on rear, 205/70/14 front. I have some stock 15" deluxe rims to put on (that just came with my husband's 67 S code, his anniversary gift :grin: )

what tire size?? I like the 215/60/15 that we have all the way around on our C code '67

and I was thinking BF Goodrich radial TA's right?

BTW no better anniversary than looking at a GT/CS and getting it! Makes a girl really happy!! if anyone needs gift ideas hehe:wink:

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

franklinair

Congrats on the new acquisition! Did I see that car on E-bay last week? I like the color.
Wheels/tires: I'm just gonna tell you what I like. I prefer the Chrome '68/69 Style Steel wheels with with plain hubcaps. These are 14 inch wheels. For tires, I like the BFG T/A RWL, 14X70X 215 (225's would be OK, 235's are too large IMHO).
One of my pet peeves is the typical Mustang sag- the rear end sagging due to tired rear leaf springs. Hope yours doesn't suffer from this malady. Its fixable. I opted for 5 leaf rear springs on mine which gives the rear stance that I like.
Many happy miles (and hours) with your new car.

Neil

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Neil,
Thank you.:grin: im so excited
and thank you for the help! I saw the grey one on ebay and liked it too, we found this one local on craigslist, i ordered a same day marti on it! its a plain jane, suppose to be tahoe turquoise and aqua, but I really wanted a CS. (and the price was right!) my husband said we can always change her back. (im kinda a purest when it comes to the cars, at least that is what I prefer for some) The big thing was, its a local, bay area car all its garaged life, absolutely no rust. this car was refreshing after seeing that rust bucket from the bottom of the lake a few days earlier. So its not sagging, seems alittle high lol, I'll count the leafs. the rims came with the plain hub caps and beauty rings, but the rims are painted black (they are at the firehouse in the back of hubbys truck, I'll get a pic tomorrow) i measured across them and it was 15" so that makes them 15's right? they are stamped with "ford 8MC" or its a G. I was going to buy the chrome ones below, but these came with his '67, so I thought I would try and make it work... but if I order some I should get 14" not 15"?? (I like stock/original look) but I dont like too skinny of a tire, need some meat!

Attachments

• W03.jpg
    W03.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 22

franklinair

Here's a photo of the 15" Shelby wheels and BFG's I put on my previous CS. I like that look. (About $1100 for a set of these + tires) Not really correct for 1968 C/S's, but they DO look good!

Neil

Attachments

• My Pictures 048.jpg
    My Pictures 048.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Here's a photo of the 15" Shelby wheels and BFG's I put on my previous CS. I like that look. (About $1100 for a set of these + tires) Not really correct for 1968 C/S's, but they DO look good!

Neil

me likes!!!! :wink: and the rims are in the pony family, the CS is kinda a shelby, like half sister. it works for me

robert campbell

May need to address your rear leaf springs. In your picture I can see a "helper spring" clamped on the back half of the leaf spring. And the cart looks a bit high to me, but I like low! If you stay with the tires they are recommneding you will have no problems, but it may look strange with a small tire in a large opening.

Take a measurement from the ground to the center of the rear wheel fender opening at it highest point in the center. This will allow us to help you with leaf spring selection when you are ready. There are mid-eye and reverse-eye leafs to lower the car where you want it. Or you may want the stock height. If you lower the rear then you have to address this front.....

Boy, aren't we helpful!!!!

franklinair

If you opt for the Shelby wheels, be SURE they are properly torqued before driving! Don't let a dummy (like me) install them. :-(
New fender, new wheel, new brake drum, stripe kit, lots of $$$ for a quality paint shop. :-((
Embarrassment=Priceless!!

Neil

Attachments

• cs before.JPG
    cs before.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

May need to address your rear leaf springs. In your picture I can see a "helper spring" clamped on the back half of the leaf spring. And the cart looks a bit high to me, but I like low! If you stay with the tires they are recommneding you will have no problems, but it may look strange with a small tire in a large opening.

Take a measurement from the ground to the center of the rear wheel fender opening at it highest point in the center. This will allow us to help you with leaf spring selection when you are ready. There are mid-eye and reverse-eye leafs to lower the car where you want it. Or you may want the stock height. If you lower the rear then you have to address this front.....

Boy, aren't we helpful!!!!

Robert, you are good. ok, those helper springs are coming off as soon as I get tires! the car sits too damn high, 27 1/4". I like em low too (our green machine looks and handles nice, the guy we got it from said he put new shocks & changed coils & leafs to drop it, sitting at 25") How do I lower the front? and what are we going to do with the leafs??

Attachments

• Unknown-2.jpg
    Unknown-2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Unknown-1.jpg
    Unknown-1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

If you opt for the Shelby wheels, be SURE they are properly torqued before driving! Don't let a dummy (like me) install them. :-(
New fender, new wheel, new brake drum, stripe kit, lots of $$$ for a quality paint shop. :-((
Embarrassment=Priceless!!

Neil

OUCH Neil! dang that was a bummer. hurts to look at it

dalorzo_f

"How do I lower the front? and what are we going to do with the leafs??"

On the leafs you can get them reset, or just buy new ones. On the front, new springs to lower.. or just drop in an FE! :wink:

robert campbell

Batgirl,
For a cheap fix I have lowered many Mustangs front ends to match the "sagging" rear end of older leafs. No recommended if you have tires that rub or pull a camping trailer..... Just kidding....

Take the rear helpers off and see where it sits. If you like that height, then jack up the front, remove both front tires, and remove both front shocks. Either rent or get a front coil spring compressor.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=GOPPTpfKJZDZiALK1838Cw&ved=0CIABEPMCMAI#

Remove the front coil spring and then using a high speed grinder you can cut off a bottom portion of the spring. I never cut off more than I/2 a coil at a time. They are hard to glue back on!! just kidding again, but if you cut to much off it is all over. Put it all back together. Take it for a quick drive to let all the parts settle back in. Never just lower it down of the jack and look as the tires are bowed in a bit and the car is not all the way settled down.

If it is still a bit high, cut another 1/2 coil out, and if you are really close, only 1/4 coil. Lots of work taking apart and putting back together and an air gun like they use for lug nuts is handy to compress the spring.

Now for the "quick and the dead" is another method for cutting a coil. Jack it up and take the front tires off. Get a person with a cutting torch and cut 1/2 coil at the very bottom. Cutting torch will go right through it and actually it will slowly “compress” into place. NEVER “heat” coils to lower a car, it just messes them up. Remove the chunk of coil and grab the spring and spin it into the stop on the spring perch. You are done. Keep in mind that on the drivers side the gas line is right on the frame rail somewhat close to this job.

The second technique is best done by a “professional” although you may need to search for one who will do it.

After all of this, you will MUST have your front end realigned at you favorite tire store. It changes the front end alignment.

Now all of this assumes that for the most part you front end parts are ok and not extremely worn out. I have actually seen freshly restored Mustangs that have all brand new suspension parts and they sit to high for me. A matter of taste. And the method above does not turn it into an autocrosser, it just lowers it a bit to where you like it.

Rob

p51

I'd say either 215/70/14 or 215/60/15 all around

I'd suggest Firehawk Indy 500 tires. They seem to stick much better to the road. I had BF Goodrich radial TA's on my car and spun out on a wet road - in a situation where I was not really pushing it. From my before/after experience the Firehawks have much better traction/stickiness. Having said that, the BF Goodrich's look more like an original '60s tire... but I'll take safety over looks...

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Rob, thank you! we will get to work on this! the car needs to be lower, nice we can save some $ if the springs will be ok, and I like cutting the coils instead of buying some.

P51, thank you for the tire input. Im having problems finding the BFG T/A's they dont make them anymore is what everyone is telling me. BTW what size are your firehawks?
Im all for staying on the road!

Sheryl

Mosesatm

Another tire option, if you're interested in American-made, are Cooper Cobras.

robert campbell

Sheryl,
Get the ride height first. If you go low, 215 60's or 70's will be too wide unless you have a wheel with alot of back spacing. By the way, I have Firestone Firehawks on my 1967 Fastback. They are way more sticky than BF Goddoridge T/A's.

Rob

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

the firehawks are looking really good, and the size I like is made in usa. Rob I think you are right, get the height first then tires. Ill look at the rims tomorrow and measure how much back space they have. thank you for all your help!

dalorzo_f

FireHawk:
Speed Rating S/T
Treadwear: 500 (very high, indicates very hard compound)
Traction: A
Temperature: B
Load index 96-108
No wear warranty

TA:
Speed Rating S/T
Treadwear: 400
Traction: A
Temperature: B
Load index 91-98

So not a lot of difference in the basic specs, personal experiences may vary...