• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 side scoop removal

karolscali

stripping down the gt/cs for paint, question? the removal of side scoops, do you have to remove quarter window regulators to get at it? or is there enough room to work around it? and would you trust or use dynacorn fenders and hood? thanx roland

robert campbell

Roland,
I had to remove the quarter window and framing to get to the stud holding the scoop. Some on the site have said there is a hole drilled in the framing to access the the nut holding on the center stud mount of the scoop.

No experience on the dynacor stuff..

Rob

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Some on the site have said there is a hole drilled in the framing to access the the nut holding on the center stud mount of the scoop.
Definitely no access hole on my HCS. I'll need to pull the window assembly to get to that scoop stud.

(yes, I realize I'm bringing back a really, really old thread ;))

franklinair

When prepping my Black GT/CS for painting I removed the side scoops. There was no access hole in the 1/4 window mechanism (ref: GTCS recognition Guide, page 106). From inside the car I merely eyeballed & estimated where the mounting stud would be located on the scoop and used a small hole saw and drilled a hole into the plate in order to accommodate a 1/4" drive socket. You don't have to remove the 1/4 window mechanism this way. It's a solid metal plate, easy to do. (I don't recall if it was a 3/8" or 7/16" socket.) Worked perfectly for removal & re-installation of both side scoops. Hope this helps.

Neil

Attachments

• STRIPES.jpg
    STRIPES.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Neil. That sounds like a good plan. Do you recall if this spot circled in blue is anywhere close to where you drilled?

This photo is the passenger side.

Attachments

• PXL_20230227_140424293.jpg
    PXL_20230227_140424293.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 44

franklinair

Yes. The stud on the scoop is pretty close to the center of the scoop itself.
It's kinda 'a guess & by-golly' but it's a non-critical area.

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Success! I drilled a small pilot hole to see how close I was to guessing where the stud was, then drilled the final hole with a 1" hole saw. A 3/4" hole saw probably would have worked just fine as well, but 1" was what I had on hand.

The nut on the scoop takes a 7/16" socket.

Pics below for reference if anyone else is wondering where the hole should go.

2023-02-27 20.18.06.jpg 2023-02-27 20.27.15.jpg 2023-02-27 20.00.07.jpg 2023-02-27 19.59.06.jpg

2023-02-27 20.23.02.jpg 2023-02-27 19.59.38.jpg 2023-02-27 19.59.54.jpg

2023-02-27 20.00.16.jpg 2023-02-27 20.00.43.jpg 2023-02-27 20.00.50.jpg

Mosesatm

Isn’t the center hole usually punched instead of drilled?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Mine appears drilled, which is also what Paul writes in the Recognition Guide (pg 107)

Mosesatm

That makes sense. Installing the nut on a punched hole would certainly be difficult.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
A few more photos of my scoops for posterity. The "rain holes" or "drain grooves" or whatever you want to call them, are not identical between my two scoops. They aren't exactly the same size and aren't in the same spot. This tells me they were not in the mold, but drilled or notched after taking them out of the molds. The scoops were stamped/molded at A.O. Smith, then delivered to the Ford assembly plant for installation on the cars. Not sure at what point the "drain grooves" were added.

2023-03-19 20.49.46.jpg
2023-03-19 20.49.42.jpg
2023-03-19 20.49.57.jpg

The stripes & HCS decals applied to my scoops are also not identical, and not vertically centered on the scoop. It's like whoever applied them thought they should appear to be aligned with the main body stripe as viewed from someone standing next to the car (ie. looking down from eye level) as opposed to being centered when looking straight at the scoops from the side.

2023-03-19 20.50.26.jpg

2023-03-19 21.09.03.jpg
2023-03-19 21.08.46.jpg

Ruppstang

The HCS part of the stripe was not factory applied, the dealers put them on. My red HCS, Bob Teets old car left the dealership without the scoop strips by mistake, or they were out of them. He started calling around Denver to see if he could find someone who could make them and that is when he found the company that made them for Ford. Mabe the wash bay kid put yours on. LOL

Jschoony

A few more photos of my scoops for posterity. The "rain holes" or "drain grooves" or whatever you want to call them, are not identical between my two scoops. They aren't exactly the same size and aren't in the same spot. This tells me they were not in the mold, but drilled or notched after taking them out of the molds. The scoops were stamped/molded at A.O. Smith, then delivered to the Ford assembly plant for installation on the cars. Not sure at what point the "drain grooves" were added.

View attachment 55019 View attachment 55020 View attachment 55021

The stripes & HCS decals applied to my scoops are also not identical, and not vertically centered on the scoop. It's like whoever applied them thought they should appear to be aligned with the main body stripe as viewed from someone standing next to the car (ie. looking down from eye level) as opposed to being centered when looking straight at the scoops from the side.

View attachment 55022

View attachment 55023 View attachment 55024
I noticed the same about the “drains” not being in the same spot from side to side on both my originals and a NOS set I have.

I also noticed the contour on the front bottom is slightly different on both sets. You can see it on your as well in the second photo.

Ruppstang

Jon,

I have a pair of original HCS logos that I got from Dan Teets. They are part of the ones that Bob had made from the original Ford artwork. I think Bob and Dan would like for you to have them for your car as a thanks for all that you do for this site. Let me know where to send them.
Marty

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Actually Dan Teets is already sending me a pair of decals. But thank you so much Marty for the offer! David (@di81977) also offered to send me some.

This group is truly amazing! I post photos of my scoops and 3 separate people jump to help me out. Thank you to everyone for your generosity and love for this hobby!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
The HCS part of the stripe was not factory applied, the dealers put them on. My red HCS, Bob Teets old car left the dealership without the scoop strips by mistake, or they were out of them. He started calling around Denver to see if he could find someone who could make them and that is when he found the company that made them for Ford. Mabe the wash bay kid put yours on. LOL
Thanks Marty! I knew that, but had forgotten. (Obviously my memory is going because I wrote basically that in the "how to identify" section of this site) :rolleyes:

Was the GT/CS scoop stripe applied at the factory or dealer?