• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Driver's door won't open

tjbrace

The drivers door on my 68 GT/CS won't open. The lock will go up and down; both interior and exterior door handles operate. The closing mechanism just won't release. It doesn't look like the door handles are moving the mechanism far enough. I tried to hook the mech from the top next to the window to no avail. Is there a quick way to pop this? Is there a way to adujst the mech in relation to the door handle movement? Thanks very much for any assistance!

teej

miller511

Teej,

The only thing I can think to do is pop off the inside door panel. This may be tricky to do with the door shut. There is a tool to unhook those clips. Kind of a flattened out and slightly curved screw driver. Once there is access to the linkage inside the door you should be able to see what's binding or broken in there.

First thought was to get access via the window opening along the top of the door-
Not sure you could get enough leverage through the rolled down window opening to pop the latch with a coat hanger, etc.

Good luck.

-Jeff

davidathans

do you have 400-500HP?...i've heard stories that peoples doors wont close because they tweak their unibodies...the way to avoid this is to install sub-frame connectors...haha i realize this isnt your problem...but the topic title made me want to share this info

OP
OP
tjbrace

tjbrace

It's open!

Thanks for the thoughts. It did finally open, though I'm not sure it was due to my efforts. I'm going to do more diagnostic on it before I lock it again. BTW, it is not a 400-500 HP.
Thanks again, teej

nfrntau

Now that you have it open I would try to clean and re-grease it so it operates as smoothly as possible. A big screwdriver will work to move the mechanism to lock position without shutting the door. It could just be a little grit and no lube.
Side note, it doesn't take a LOT of lube, just a little to help things move easily.

robert campbell

Teej,
Did you get it working? If the button on the door handle goes in very easy and nothing happens then more than likely a rod fell off. The locking rod that works with the your inside lock button (the thing you pull up and down). If you go to the trouble of taking the door panel off inspect it all carefully. Nothing is more frustrating and damaging to a door panel than off, on, off, on....

And nothing is more fun than working on a door latch in a door!! Long skinny arms small hands and fingers are a plus. I have none of these. With the window all the way up, the door opened as wide as possible, sitting on you favorite milk crate is the best position. Using a flashlight or small trouble light, you can sit there and exercise all the various movements. The most common latch problem is the little spring that actually pulls the latch into the closed position when it hits the door striker plate. They pull though the metal one end and the door kinda just latches, but falls open all time.

Lube it up good and look at all the rods. They are adjustable also. sometimes a small adjustment is needed. Shorten or lengthen the rod. Over the years a latch or lock may have been replaced and then not adjusted properly.

Post how you doing, maybe we can help with some other thoughts!

Rob

OP
OP
tjbrace

tjbrace

stuck again

Thanks, Robert. I'm going to get in there and grease it up good. It is hit or miss on whether it'll open after being locked. I did not know you could adjust the rods; great advice! They do feel a bit sloppy. I'll let you know how it goes.

teej

rananim

teej,

There is a way of getting to the latch: Put your forearm in a vise, tighten it, have a friend smack your upper arm with a sledge hammer from the side and you should have the proper configuration to get the job done (plagerized from another source, but worth passing along)!
Just saw your post, so you may already have solved your problem. I had similar problem with both doors on the way to auction my CS in February which I wrote about at that time.
I had not used or exercised my locks for a couple of years, but did use the door handles/latches regularly. When I did finally lock them, they "siezed" and could not be unlocked -dried out lithium grease, I was told.
I removed the latch mechanism on the driver's side, cleaned and lubed it once I got home. I decided to approach the other door the lazy way and sprayed a bunch of WD40 on the latch from the opening in the panel (rag beneath to catch drippings). This did the job and I haven't had a problem since.

Good luck
rananim