• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Highland Green 4-speed GT/CS

Mosesatm

OK, here's the deal; I'm getting ready to go full highway cruiser with my GT/CS, but before I go to all that work and expense I'm offering it only here for a price that seems to be far below the market value, but what I think is a fair price since it covers my costs.
The car isn't perfect......yet. Here are the items I'm going to fix if no one buys it, and I keep it.
- Heater cables - I have new ones
- The master cylinder is old and crusty but the brakes work fine - I'll probably replace it since I have an extra, and maybe add a booster.
- The brake pedal is overly sloppy - I have the bushings
- The car has a 9" locker with unknown gears. It's too loud for my taste and I'm going to install open gears
- I think the 4-speed and clutch are fine. The transmission may have been rebuilt because it's really tight until it warms up.
- I installed a reproduction tach that isn't working correctly, and the new oil light keeps flickering. The gauge cluster needs to come out to see what's going on.
- The passenger vent window handle doesn't want to seat fully on the stud. Haven't dug into that issue.
- I also have an overhead console for the car. It needs to be dyed and installed.

No huge issues, just basic old car annoyances.
The engine runs great. It has new tires and wheels, battery, front suspension, carpet, shifter, etc. The exterior chrome is nearly perfect. I installed '69 headrest seats and replaced the seatbelt chrome. The only real issue with the interior is the radio bezel is pitted. That's another quick fix I haven't gotten around to.

If anyone is interested shoot me a note. I'll add photos to a dropbox, but will need your email so you can access them.

I'll add more photos here after I reduce them.
Here's a link to the drop box. Hopefully, it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Mustang

Attachments

• Marti.jpg
    Marti.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 164
  • One of One.jpg
    One of One.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Dash Area.jpg
    Dash Area.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Seats.jpg
    Seats.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Headliner Wrinkle.jpg
    Headliner Wrinkle.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Engine 2.jpg
    Engine 2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Engine 1.jpg
    Engine 1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Paint Run in Trunk.jpg
    Paint Run in Trunk.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I remember a few more things that bother me.
- The top of the passenger inner fender was repaired with something weird. It's visible on the passenger engine photo. I'm going to remove whatever it is and redo it.
- The headliner has a wrinkle at the rear window
- The bottom of the car is painted black
- There is no clutch pedal stop - I have one and will install it when I fix the brake pedal
- Oh yeah, the driver's side shock tower is cut and more or less patched

Here are a few more photos.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Paint Chip.jpg
    Paint Chip.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Engine 3.jpg
    Engine 3.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Driver Door Latch.jpg
    Driver Door Latch.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Radio Bezel.jpg
    Radio Bezel.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

OK, no one bought the car so it's now time to get it ready for highway cruising. The front end work is complete and the rear end goes back in this weekend. The rear was freshly rebuilt when I bought the car so all it needed were few little adjustments.

It has 3.25 rear gears which equates to around 3,000rpm at 70mph. That isn't going to work so a T-5 seems to be the next investment.

I'm thinking of using the Modern Driveline setup with a Ford shifter instead of a Hurst.
Have any of you installed a T-5 using their hardware? Is there another company I should contact?

PKG Mus 67-68 Man T5z

- Tremec T-5z, Five speed = $1,950.00
- Quik Stik Shifter, Ford T-5/T-45 = $275.00
- Adapter plate Assy = $230.00
- ARP Flywheel bolt kit, ARP, 7/16"-20 x 1" = $19.00
- Pressure plate bolt kit, = $12.00
- T5 Ford Install Hardware kit = $25.00
- Clutch Set diaphragm pressure plate, disk, T/O & pilot = $175.00
- Shift Ball, 5 speed, White = $32.20
- Shift lever, Hurst, Chrome $124.95
- Boot, Shifter, Hurst, SS trim plate = $39.48
- Speedo Cable = $26.00
- Speedo Gear, Driven, = $9.50
- Retaining Clip, Ford driven speedo gear = $3.95
- Crossmember = $165.00
- Trans Mount = $19.00
- Amsoil Synthetic Transmission Fluid = $53.85

Package Warranty Package Warranty, 2 Year coverage for defectives and Workmanship
UPS Ground shipping = $200.00
Package, Manual to T-5z, 67-68 Mustang/Cougar SBF 3,359.93

$3,359.93

Thanks

CougarCJ

Arlie, I did a conversion years ago on my 1968 Cougar.
My conversion was from a 3 speed manual, I elected to not reuse the clunky mechanical clutch linkage. I went with the Mustang Steve, cable clutch which is what the Fox body Mustangs used. I was able to use the T-5z bell housing and not need the adapter plate. Had to use a special flywheel to use the modern clutch, with the 1968 balance. I regret buying the heavy duty clutch, if you go this route get the standard duty clutch.
If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider going with a hydraulic clutch.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Scott,
I'm probably going to stay with the mechanical linkage because I want everything to look as stock as possible and I just rebuilt the pedal assembly.

A hydraulic clutch is a fairly easy add later if I get disgusted with all the rods and bars, and by using the bellhousing adapter I don't need to change out the flywheel or starter. There was a company that made a wonderful roller bearing Z-bar, but I'm not sure if they are still around. The owner is a member here.

Another problem is what to do with the toploader. If it's numbers matching I guess I should keep it.......in my little 2-car garage. Ugh. It may be time to move out to the country and have a shop, like Donna, Marty, Neil, You, etc.

CougarCJ

Colbert is just down the road. Lots of nice properties in North Spokane County.

Save onto that Toploader.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I have no idea why I mentioned the rebuilt pedal assembly as it has nothing to do with a hydraulic clutch.
It looks like the roller Z-bar company is no longer in business. That’s OK, the existing one works well and it is also refreshed.

I’ll check out Colbert.

rvrtrash

Colbert is just down the road. Lots of nice properties in North Spokane County.

I'd say bail out of Washington like everyone else and come here, but so many people from Seattle and California are moving here that housing prices are stupid high. I just got my tax assessment and the value of my house went up $250K in one year.

CougarCJ

I'd say bail out of Washington like everyone else and come here, but so many people from Seattle and California are moving here that housing prices are stupid high. I just got my tax assessment and the value of my house went up $250K in one year.

Steve, as you know, I have been watching all of this unfold. Crazy times, if I wasn't already camped out in my house, I could not afford to buy it. Probably the same situation with most other home buyers. I wish wages were keeping up with inflation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I think the Covid situation made people understand that they can work from home, and home can be anywhere, hence the exodus from the big cities. A small exodus started before Covid but it’s now out of control.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Transmission package is ordered. In top gear the revs will drop from 3000rpm with the Toploader 4-speed to 1900rpm using the new Tremec.

The new price is $36,000.

It'll take around three weeks to arrive so in the meantime I'll install the rear gears and pedal swing assembly, new radio bezel, vent cable, HVAC cables, headlight switch, and other misc. new parts. Then give it a garage alignment and take it on some serious test drives!!

Driving it this summer will convince me that air conditioning is next, then maybe cruise control.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Yeah, there's probably no chance of that.

With the transmission, driveline, and bellhousing out most of the underside will be exposed, and I'm going to replace the rear spring bushings, so not dropping the rear axle housing and painting the bottom of the car with red oxide seems like a wasted opportunity. The entire bottom is currently painted black. Hopefully all the black paint either sticks well so I can just clean and paint, or it easily wipes off.:rofl:

All I was going to do was take the pumpkin to a rebuilder. Nice little two-weekend project!!

Ruppstang

I have been down that hole several times, I know better but keep going there.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Yep, I installed the gears and associated parts, buttoned everything up and decided painting was for another life. Going to test drive it before installing the transmission so I have a drivetrain noise base line.

robert campbell

Arlie,
Just put a T5 behind a 390 in a 69 Cougar Vert. Stock clutch linkage and it works just fine. You will love it. As Scott says do not go with any heavy-duty stuff on the pressure plate. I am just fine here in Washington. The inflation stuff will pass, and we will be just fine.

Rob